Central /queen street station Glasgow ?

Scanning radio frequencies for Scotland
DuncanM

Re: Central /queen street station Glasgow ?

Post by DuncanM »

DuncanM wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 23:48 all I got out of Central, I was listening in for over an hour and a half, was 453.900 nfm, no DMR and no Mobility Assist either. Queen Street was 453.550, no DMR either. There was quite a bit of disruption in the Ayrshire and Inverclyde area and trains 20 to 100 minutes late into Central from London plus cancelations. For Central I was sitting in the Crystal Palace Wetherspoons it sits next to the railway line and close enough to hear the input frequencies. Queen Street I just wandered around for a bit close call waiting. I could hear Central from Queen Street but not the other way round. I made a zone on my 878 with 30 common used frequencies for stations across the UK and listened
Mobility assist is back, nfm 453.225. ScotRail, Network Rail and Avanti staff all use 453.900. I was in Lime Street last week, some Avanti staff carry two radios, one for them, one for the Network Rail staff who manage the station.
thety65
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by thety65 »

No new information but a bit of history/nostalgia.....a bit lengthy...hope its OK

I was looking at the posts re the frequencies in use at Glasow Central and
Queen St to confirm the ones I knew.

The frequencies 453.100, 453.900 and 453.550 are still the ones I allocated in 1978!!

At the time I worked for British Rail Scottish Region Telecoms Dept and engineered all their 2 way radio work for Scotland.
In Central and Queen St they used what were effectively pagers with paging on 27Mhz or so with talkback at UHF on a telescopic (very breakable) aerial.

These were useless when standing next to a main line loco.

These were to be replaced with standard UHF hand-helds and addional new systems were to be put in at Waverley, Haymarket, Forth bridge, Tay bridge and Craigentinny.

At the time BR were applying for all sorts of new channels and the Home Office eventually said -'Here are 6 channel pairs..allocate them yourself as required - just tell us where..'

So I got to choose the channels for Central, Queen St etc. The physical separation of the stations required 2 different channels for Central\Queen St and Waverley\Haymarket
but the rest was easy as the 2 x bridges were miles away...

The base station antenna at Queen St was under the roof steel work with a downward polar diagram antenna to put a signal into the low level station.
Waverley's antenna was above the glass roof but under the arch of King George IV bridge.

I'm sure the radios have been replaced 10x over but the frequencies still the same. I'm well retired but still playing radio..installed a DMR UHF ham repeater on Firth of Clyde this winter..
Neil
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

I don't know about 453.100, but I do know of the other two, 453.550 being Queen Street. There is another frequency in Central for Journey Assist if it's still called that. I'll be passing through Central tomorrow.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

DuncanM wrote: 23 Aug 2023, 17:40 I don't know about 453.100, but I do know of the other two, 453.550 being Queen Street. There is another frequency in Central for Journey Assist if it's still called that. I'll be passing through Central tomorrow.
453.100 - Argyle Street. Not sure what the Subway uses.
bertonumber1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108AT106

Post by bertonumber1 »

thety65 wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 15:54 No new information but a bit of history/nostalgia.....a bit lengthy...hope its OK

I was looking at the posts re the frequencies in use at Glasow Central and
Queen St to confirm the ones I knew.

The frequencies 453.100, 453.900 and 453.550 are still the ones I allocated in 1978!!

At the time I worked for British Rail Scottish Region Telecoms Dept and engineered all their 2 way radio work for Scotland.
In Central and Queen St they used what were effectively pagers with paging on 27Mhz or so with talkback at UHF on a telescopic (very breakable) aerial.

These were useless when standing next to a main line loco.

These were to be replaced with standard UHF hand-helds and addional new systems were to be put in at Waverley, Haymarket, Forth bridge, Tay bridge and Craigentinny.

At the time BR were applying for all sorts of new channels and the Home Office eventually said -'Here are 6 channel pairs..allocate them yourself as required - just tell us where..'

So I got to choose the channels for Central, Queen St etc. The physical separation of the stations required 2 different channels for Central\Queen St and Waverley\Haymarket
but the rest was easy as the 2 x bridges were miles away...

The base station antenna at Queen St was under the roof steel work with a downward polar diagram antenna to put a signal into the low level station.
Waverley's antenna was above the glass roof but under the arch of King George IV bridge.

I'm sure the radios have been replaced 10x over but the frequencies still the same. I'm well retired but still playing radio..installed a DMR UHF ham repeater on Firth of Clyde this winter..
Neil
Every now and again a decent post happens containing some wisdom. This is precisely one of those posts I had a pleasure reading. Thanks very much for sharing this information.

I follow a lot of stuff on my radio and am always on the lookout for masts and trying to match things up with the various frequency directories, and besides the odd security or University still 'in the clear' the only other thing bar marine and airband of interest to me is the railway stuff.

I live here in Inverclyde and on a good day can here the stuff on 453.900... 453.100 is overshadowed by a digital (DMR) NHS frequency.

A lot of the traffic heard through here is on VHF 179-189Mhz. Different operators such as the Crianlarich line can he heard..

I also have some of the more obscure frequencies for smaller stations, however radio comms traffic is really limited.

Thanks again Neil
Kind Regards

Rab
thety65
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by thety65 »

Thanks Rab,
Thought it might be of interest to someone.
Went through Central yesterday…confirmed 453.900 NFM

West Highland line is an interesting listen..I was on train when they decided to split the train at Crianlarich to send more carriages to Oban than usual so I had to change ends. Ticket collector was puzzled when I met him as to how I knew to walk through train….RETB…
Regards
Neil
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

453.900 platform staff
453.225 mobility assist

Queen Street 453.550

I collect station frequencies, the only one I don't have from Central to Crewe or Liverpool is Motherwell