Pearce Simpson Super Lion Mk1.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
astradyne

Pearce Simpson Super Lion Mk1.

Post by astradyne »

Looks to be a Nato 2000 clone of sorts but limited to 40 channels on AM and SSB.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/303892774863
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: Pearce Simpson Super Lion Mk1.

Post by cb4ever104 »

Saw that radio . Never seen one before . Pictures are pretty crap quality .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

cb4ever104 wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 14:59 Saw that radio . Never seen one before . Pictures are pretty crap quality .
Just noticed that I'd neglected to include the link in my initial post so I've rectified that.

Likewise Sammy, I've never seen one before either. The Pearce Simpson range do seem to be popular down under. I've seen a few models which, if I recall correctly, were Uniden built radio's?

The pictures in the listing aren't the best so I've tried to tidy them up as best as I can plus a close up of the serial number plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

I though a clone was a copy of something..
it's hardly a clone if it's a different board inside, different colour and well different.

it'll be the same board as used in the Cobra 148 GTL-B
i saw it and though about it, then i saw the price and thought better of it.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

These were very common here in Oz in the late 80's / early 90's period sometime. Made by Cybernet (has the old style "VCO block" but LC7131 non expandable PLL, not the PLL02A). They would have been sold by supermarkets and auto accessory stores, not proper electronics / radio retailers.

Looks good but terrible "radio". Tiny crystal filter (bleedover king!), single conversion receiver, and other cost cutting to cheapen them at the tail end of the CB boom in Oz. Barely passable AM transmit, SSB is almost unusable due to poor filtering.

Avoid these unless its a $5 junker to extract the meter, pots, switches, and channel LED parts from...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's a collector's item then (not for me though), more than a useable radio. Saw it when it was listed too and had a quick close-up.

I wondered if it was one that could be expanded, but lbcomms has just answered that question.

Peter King would've probably bought that a few years back.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

It was the big brother of the original "Super Tomcat", they used the same main circuit board.

The most common issue (apart from the usual "dead VCO block" Cybernet issue) was the owner reporting "silent carriers", which was the signal meter reading a high signal or bouncing around without any voice heard from the speaker. The transmission causing the ghost signal reading was up to 10 channels away :o

The lion was more useful as a source of Cybernet pots / switches / LEDs than the Tomcat. We refused to repair either of them, guaranteed "bouncer" and mods to get them working as well the earlier Cybernets would have cost 10 times what the radio was worth...
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

PCB PCMA004S

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

From memory, that's the one, or something very close. Haven't seen one here in 5+ years.
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

I seen it when it appeared and was interested in it for £47, That was until i seen where it was and the postage costs, It came up in GBP for me not AUS so i didnt know where it was until i scrolled down.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Loving that Super Tomcat. It's the same as our Amstrad-boarded Fidelity 2001's, but with a respray -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Has one of those here about 3 or 4 years back. Same case and front panel metalwork, just different colors and lettering, but that's where the similarities end. The fidelity has a different FM only PCB and didn't have the dual concentric controls.

The Fidelity we had here was a cost no object ham conversion for a local amateur, the radio was left to him is his dad's estate and he wanted something to remember him by. The UK allocation is a marine allocation down here which made the radio unusable in its original form, so it ended up converted to 29MHz and used on the local 10M FM repeaters. He was warned...