Best 1m (or so) antenna 3/8 threaded, what have you been happy with ?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
InTheClouds

Best 1m (or so) antenna 3/8 threaded, what have you been happy with ?

Post by InTheClouds »

Sometimes I like to drive around a bit and find low QRM spots. Having a 1.7M whip pinging about is not the one !

Now we see the "better performing than any antenna of its size" claims etc. but we know the bottom line is this is a length vs coils, vs coils thickness = less loss thing. So in your experiences what is the best 1m whip you have used ? I would like to try and get the best I can that is around 1m or less, absolute max length 1.1m

Something was recommended to me a "Sunken" antenna, someone said it was the best mobile DX antenna they have ever used (which is quite a claim, it's tiny.... although they DX from a spot that is 500M ASL so that may help bit.)

Or maybe you did find the magic small antenna, interested in your anecdotes and experiences. "It was a wet bit of string in my boot, I keyed up and I spoke to an mobile Australian station with a coat hanger as an antenna"

I may even use it for a bit of low power, can I cut through on a little antenna fun DX. 8)
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Best 1m (or so) antenna 3/8 threaded, what have you been happy with ?

Post by Mudslinger »

In my experience one antenna of a given length will perform pretty much identical to another of the same length irrespective of loading coil position. Unless it is an open coil design like a springer, which for some reason seem to perform worse than others at the same length.

I don't think you will find an antenna with anything greater than mediocre performance at that length. Bandwidth will also be very narrow.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

3ft original Firestik for a rigid antenna or maybe a 3ft Cherokee Dial-a-Match if you want a more "whippy' aerial. The Cherokee will swr in in 30 seconds flat as you spin 2 little rings round like on an Antron/Imax.

Dont expect miracles on them though, but I used to get about 5 or 6 miles in the city with a diddy Cherokee 2ft version.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Thanks for suggestions I will look into those. I might just save the money and put up with the swing of the 1.7m one. I don't think anywhere local will have any low cables etc. I was looking at the Thunderpole Super Nova as well.

Funny isn't it, we all know the theory these days with antennas but we still want that magic stick that defies the laws of physics ! :lol:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Nova means "no go" in a certain language...probably tells you everything, so I'd stay clear personally. Never liked the look of them and if the performance is anywhere near as bad as the 3ft version of the Springer aerial, definitely stay clear.

Best aerial I ever had for general usage was the Tagra t40. Found it be the same as a K40 performance-wise (well it was based on it) but with a better fitting and more secure mounting system, plus its tapered whip as opposed to the parrallel whip on the K40 was less...errrr...whippy! That's the reason I own 2 new-in-the-box ones as well as a used one, even though I don't collect aerials. Shame I can't use one on my Renault Espace as the tailgate is mainly fibreglass. Just wish I could find a magmount for one too.

Other than that, the Les Wallen Modulators were always good, but a bit taller at about 5ft or so and a bit more "in your face" looks-wise.

You could always try an original 4ft Moonraker aerial. I've got one but have never compared it to the others I have to be honest. The original 6ft ones are hard to get, expensive if you can and obviously very tall and whippy.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Now you mention it, it is difficult to see what the differences are in the Super Nova given they are shorter, with an even tighter wound base coil
compared to a springer. Yet despite being shorter according to the range indicator graphic they do 10 mile while a 4Ft Thunderstik goes 5 miles.

That does indeed appear to be illogical.

For what I plan (finding very low QRM spots) I will save money and just use my 1.7m jobber, it is not like I am going to be driving around for ages.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I have also spotted a couple of other possible contenders, slightly longer, shame the Solarcon triple load is not about anymore but found a Wilson Silver load top loaded antenna, looks rather snazzy. Again I don't suppose you can expect a miracle from it. I don't know for some it is radios and other antennas, just nice to occupy the mind with.

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Have you thought about a Sirio ML-145?

They are about £40 including the mount and at 145cm are just about long enough to work well.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Yes aware of them, it just breaches the "compact" antenna length for me though. Those Wilsons are not exactly cheap for what they are so I know where you are coming from. I suppose in the end you just like to try things out and £20-£35.00 is kind of "radio treat" kind of money for most.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

2ft Wilson doing 900 miles, when conditions are right and all.. find it fascinating... I swear you could work skip with 2 inches of wire on in the air a ATU.

Last edited by InTheClouds on 15 Jul 2020, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

I went down the rabbit hole with this one, oh well it will provoke chat I suppose..... cap on : SWR = 1.2:1 Cap off 3:1 ?? Changes conductor velocity maybe ?

InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Not happy about these being £40.00 including delivery, it's a pass from me, way to expensive for what it is.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

I think you summed it up, theres no short majic twigs out there, some do have an edge over dv27's & firesticks, especially if you run amplifiers,

goldenrod gr45 or hat loaded predator 10k, smart folk tell us you don't want a hat close to a coil but they do work surprisingly well for a short antenna,

once you drive around with this style antenna on the car, your sirio floppysticks will feel invisible :D .
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

Thanks for the input the GR45 looks good but it is not really possible to class as a short antenna it is 1.42M long. It is not discrete either with that cap hat malarky on top, I do find it very interesting conceptually though. I have decided it is pointless having an antenna 1m long. We have all been there a bit of cash to burn and sometimes we buy for the sake of a short lived buzz when the box turns up and find it a pointless purchase.

A tank whip it is not.

I guess they plate it with silver and think they can add £10.00 / $13.00 because it has silver in the name. I am suspect about that
matching wire as well. And I don't where online CB retailers are getting £9.99 delivery prices from for an antenna that weighs nothing.. premium for length seem ridiculous given it takes ZERO space in a van.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

By the way RIP dude in the video, he seemed a real character and you can hear his relaxed enthusiasm and cool presentation.