recommend me a new antenna

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: recommend me a new antenna

Post by Mudslinger »

stanogs68 wrote: 13 May 2019, 16:29 Why does everyone slate Antron 99 ,mines works great and there cheap and there rock solid,i am swapping it this year so ill be taking in whats being said here ,i like the sound of that sirio 4000 , myself i need a really robust aerial though its on a big pole exposed on my chimney !
Because they are expensive for what they are (A fibreglass half wave), the gain figures claimed by the manufacturer are nonsense and they tend to bring in more noise than a metal antenna.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Havnt a different vertical base antenna to compare my antron 99 too but once I had it cleaned,wd 40 on the rings it was a gem.
Ye I'm sure it's over exasperated gain ,not as efficient as others ,possibly poor build quality on some but it's working a treat. My old silver rod back in the 80s on 31 feet of scaf didn't get me the distances this thing does.

I love it but still looking for a 5/8 or better to replace it with, if I get gains I will be happy but I will have a soft spot for the 99.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I replaced my A99 for a sirio GPE 27 5/8 and most people reported around a 2 s-point increase on my signal.

That is a huge difference...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Post by Unit 148 Mobile »

5x9,

25 is correct however you do need somewhat of a decent size back yard to erect a 5-7 element directional antenna.

I have used the small Sirio 3 & 4-ele yagi's and if DX is your thing then using a simple and relatively compact antenna like one of these horizontally you will never look back. In most all cases there will be a significant improvement in both receive and transmit performance.

Unit 148
Living in 5B4 land