Just had a chat with Ofcom - The LPD band IS legal in the UK

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Just had a chat with Ofcom - The LPD band IS legal in the UK

Post by rocket »

I do hope the moderators don't mind, but I am posting this here as well as the PMR446 forum, this affects the 70cm ham band, so I thought I'd post here too if that's OK.

OK, there has been a lot of talk about this, including rumours and quotes from out of date legislation, so I decided to call Ofcom and put this issue to bed.

The current legislation that applies to LPD radios is Ofcom regulation IR2030 of 2006.

The 69 LPD channels are in the 433.05 to 434.79 MHz band, they have 10mW output power, and 25kHz channel spacing - therefore if the equipment is tested and CE marked to meet these specifications (which the Midland G7 and Intek MT-5050 are) then they are perfectly legal to use in the UK.

Another issue is that there is supposed to be data transmission only in this band (several radio amateurs have said this) - In 2006 (IR2030) this changed and voice is now allowed.

Ofcom told me that there had been extensive communication between themselves and Midland so that the position could be clarified before the G7 radios were produced and sold in the UK.

So there you have it, 433MHz LPD is perfectly legal in the UK.

IR2030 can be found here;
http://tinyurl.com/5qwvx8
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: Just had a chat with Ofcom - The LPD band IS legal in th

Post by Guzzy »

Please post in the duplicate topic.

HERE