Chinese USB program cables

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
overlandadventures

Chinese USB program cables

Post by overlandadventures »

I have for several years run various chinese handies -puxing 777 and Baofeng UV5r, I have never really had any problems programming them using the 2 pin kenwood type cable, I started with a serial cable and USB/serial adaptor, then got a usb cable.
Recently everything seems to have gone bottoms up, neither my old serial cable with adaptor or USB cable will talk to the radios, my first thought was the drivers, and wound them back as per the Miklor radio page, still no joy, so I tried my old XP computer, then my laptop (win10), then my daughters PC (win 10) so if figured maybe I need a new lead. One turned up from Ebay, the win 10 machines will recognise the new lead, and if I use CHIRP will talk to the UV5r's, but downloads the data with an error chunk between channels 79-90 meaning I cannot use the data.
It is really driing me mad :-(
any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?
thanks in advance
John
NiCdeth

Re: Chinese USB program cables

Post by NiCdeth »

Can you factory-reset the radios? If the problem is consistent across cables, it could mean a problem with the radio. Don't rule out the new cable, ebay sellers will sell the same cable regardless of what it's actually for, as long as it fits the radio. I lost count how many allegedly OPC-1122 cables I bought from ebay that are actually OPC-592, they look the same and the dealers know you won't pay to send it back to China. You could try completely re-entering all the programming info into a whole new file, that would rule out any issue with the data itself.
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

the biggest problem I had with usb programming cables was im running a 64bit machine, 32bit drivers just don't work on a 64bit computer. ive now realised my error and all my cables run fine with the proper drivers.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

i use oracle virtualbox on win 7 64 to run 32 bit xp service pack3

works with all my chinese radios, and my old kenwoods.

the 7 machine has 2 4 port FTDI chipped usb to serials (com-1 to 8)
and as you corectly observed - 64 bit drivers.

Regards

BB
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I just had this crop up, if like me you use a six quid Chinese Prolific knock-off then they have to run the old drivers 3.2.0.0, if you use a different USB port or do some updates then Windows will install the latest driver version which disney work. You need to uninstall and stick 3.2.0.0 back in.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition