Brand new studio mics for under £20!!

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Toobad
Call Sign: 26TM357

Re: Brand new studio mics for under £20!!

Post by Toobad »

Easily done, Dave. It is possible my next video will be a Radio Club comparison shootout. At the moment I'm having trouble discerning the subtle differences in the shades of colour preferred for the corduroys and leather sandals, the optimum amount of facial hair and the most efficient Werthers-sucking techniques. I don't know the outcome but there's only one way to find out - FIGHT! :lol:

Just a bit of fellow biker banter, mate - http://www.qrz.com/db/G0NMC
Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Well come on down you are very welcome, even if only to enjoy the cheap bar and excellent waterside location.
I expelled all the werther suckers and deodorant avoiders some time ago.

back to the mics.. thanks to your review I may get one, but more likely the 48v version, along with a cheap mixer that can power it and add gain, eq and compression like Behringer Xenyx
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

Toobad wrote: Just a bit of fellow biker banter, mate - http://www.qrz.com/db/G0NMC
My favourite neck of the woods.
You and me are going to be neighbours in a few years when I move.
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

I use a pyle PDMIC78 mic in the shack it gets great reports I used it on various radios I have is is £10.99 delivered on ebay uk seller or for sale via amazon take a look at the reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyle-Pro-PDMIC7 ... B005BSOVRY
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Slightly O/T, but this mic with the AA onboard battery is proving popular with the EVP community, several people in our group use them and are blown away by the 'bang-for-buck' value of a decent mic, so it's uses aren't restricted to radios.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
George EI7KO
Call Sign: EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Sounds OK to me. Last person on this planet I'd give 300 pounds or so to is Bob Heil, his stuff is outrageously expensive
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

OK, so some stuff turned up from amazon this afternoon, a BM800 mic and a cheapo behringer mixer, lead and the mic stand was missing. Bit ho-hum amazon, only sending most of the order in 2 days instead of the next day delivery I paid for.
Anyway;
Serious question about the mic - I've never used these sort before. Are you meant to talk into the top of it or the side? I ask because if you talk into the top (or front) it sounds kinda ok but lacking. Talk into one side and its really good, the other side very dull.
You can see why when I take it apart, the mic element faces the side

Now if its correct to angle the mic and talk into the side thats what I'll do, but I'm inclined to modify it so that the mic is forward facing. How do most users erm, use it?
Sylad

Post by Sylad »

Talk Direct into mic element (Side ) ,thats works best for me.
Simon
Lincolnshire
26TM158 & 26DX617

INDEED YOU ARE POWERFUL !
Toobad
Call Sign: 26TM357

Post by Toobad »

I think you already have it sussed, Dave. The BM-800 is a side talker so they are normally mounted in the vertical plane for ease of installation. You now have the option of talking straight into the capsule or across it, whatever sounds best to you after you have balanced distance with mic gain. The cardioid polar pattern is much more omnidirectional than a dynamic mic so sometimes the priority is to position them so the area of least pick up is facing a noise source like your PC or PSU fans. Do let us all know how it turns out for you.
Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

Thanks very much and will do. I just need to sort out connecting the mixer to a radio at line level, make a fist key switch and should be ready to try it all out. Oh, and Amazon refunded all the postage without me even grumbling.
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

I had a QSO with TM034 Tony "Black Pirate" who was trying to find a way to hook up his BM 800 to his 450.

Been using mine for a good week now and had nowt but favourable radio reports. Some OPS even ask what kind of EQ I am using and the settings for the Heil mic.

I love telling them the mic cost 16,00 pounds and the EQ on the FT950 does the hard work. Its a winner all round.
George EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Is yours phantom powered or battery Tim?
Maple
Call Sign: TheMapleGuy

Post by Maple »

Thanks for the samples Trev. O/c the Heil sounds much better but $100 to $150 would be more than enough for it...
73, TheMapleGuy

Joseph P. Brenner. What's the "P" stand for?
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

Irishman1127 wrote:Is yours phantom powered or battery Tim?
Battery.

Straight into the FT950.
George EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Maple wrote:Thanks for the samples Trev. O/c the Heil sounds much better but $100 to $150 would be more than enough for it...

There's not much in it though. The Heil is just a little more smooth than the bm. Nothing a bit of equlisation won't fix. If he wasn't so bloody greedy and sold them for a decent price he probably have 500% more sales. Bit he has this elitist attitude....