5.958 Mhz

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

5.958 Mhz

Post by nay27uk »

Does anyone know what broadcasts on 5.958 Mhz?

At approximately 02:00 GMT this morning when going to bed I thought I would have a tune around and stumbled on some rather soothing classical come electronic music that just kept looping, it was like it was one of those music loops they play just before and after a broadcast and it went on for a good hour then the station ceased transmission.

The reason I ask is because I want to know what the music was called they were playing in a loop as it was so nice like a real mellow classical meets electro chillout kinda thing, I tried using Shazam on the mobile but the station was fading in and out bad and with the static Shazam just kept saying it cant recognize human humming.

So if anyone knows what station was broadcasting on 5.958 around 02:00 this morning give or take a few Khz either way, I would love to know so I can see if they have a website and hopefully list what music they play before and after transmissions, I need that music.

That leads me to another question but still on topic.

What is the proper name of the musical loops they play before and after a broadcast and why do they do it, I am presuming that before a broadcast it is to let the transmitter warm up.

Whats the proper term for it
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
B5566

Re: 5.958 Mhz

Post by B5566 »

Might be some test transmission? Thanks for that anyways I'll keep my ears on for it and hope will find out what's this.
Resistance is futile.
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dcwuk »

Not sure what station that could be maybe Radio China International?
Station identification before opening/closing transmission often are that country's national anthem
Even in the UK radio 4 still transmits the national anthem at closedown.
Here is a handy site to try and determine what and where. :)

http://www.short-wave.info/index.php
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

nay27uk wrote:
What is the proper name of the musical loops they play before and after a broadcast and why do they do it, I am presuming that before a broadcast it is to let the transmitter warm up.

Whats the proper term for it
Its called Interval signals, and their main purpose is as a tuning aid at the recieve end, traditional melodies are favoured to play on the cultural identity of the audience and so that if they are broadcasting in a language foreign to the station (eg radio chinas english output) the audience who may not understand the language will know they are still in the right place to catch the archers in 20 mins
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Well it's on again now it started transmission at about 01:00 GMT and if it is like last night will go off about 02:00 GMT

I have Just got up to see if it's any clearer on the SDR in the front room but to be honest its better in the bedroom on the old Panasonic DR28-LBE on the homemade magnetic loop with a good S1 - S10 usually between an S5 - S10 but not clear enough for Shazam unfortunately. I can barely receive it at all on the SDR in the living room with the wire loop round the room ceiling via an SWL OMNI-MATCH tuner.

The SDR in HDSDR on the softrock says the tune is 5.920.66 but like all SDR software that depends on where you slide the mouse to on the tuning strip so you never can determine the actual frequency your on but on the Panasonic in the bedroom it's 5.958.

Thanks for the info M3VBS that explains things nicely.

Thanks to all other members for responses so far
Last edited by nay27uk on 23 Feb 2015, 02:14, edited 4 times in total.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

ha ha posted the above post just clicked the submit button @ 01:58 and a split second later the transmission ended

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
mm3oqr
Call Sign: MM3OQR

Post by mm3oqr »

You've got me intrigued now... I'm going to have to tune into this tonight. My guess is that the frequency will be 5960 kHz as that's one of CRI's usual ones. They always used to play the 'Jasmine' tune in between their broadcasts but I haven't been listening so much since Yinan died (former presenter and very good friend).
mm3oqr
Call Sign: MM3OQR

Post by mm3oqr »

Here's an old recording of mine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlt5MRTSrfc
The Jasmine music starts at 3:28, but it's not what you described as 'classical cum electronic music'. Before it at 1:28, you hear Moments In Love, and that's electronic and soothing.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks guys I watched the video above and It is defo not any of the tunes there so that rules out Jasmine.

The best I can explain it is that it starts with a Acoustic Guitar followed by a Piano and Violin that make up the most part of the melody but then there is like a SONAR sound that also makes up part of the mellody the SONAR part of the melody is what I think sounds like the tune is in the electronic genre but the rest is classical chill stuff, its almost like a loop of a trance breakdown or somthing.

Have a listen tonight if you can any time between 01:00 ish to 02:00 ish

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Next time, record it on your phone instead of shagging about with Shazam and then hit the alien fingers to zap it up to the 'Tube! :thumbup:
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I'm listening right now at 01:00, no music just a jolly chinese radio programme
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Yeah it must have been some sort of test transmission the last few days as it seems like the indians are on the frequency tonight, Defo not chinese language it's more like indian and judging by some music clips they are playing it defo sounds indian. Not getting it great tonight to much QRM from the computers but cant turn them off

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Well that sounded like the watership down music when the rabbit died, followed by something like a commercial for something extreemly exiting judging by the way the narrators octaves are rising.
Lots of fading, surrounded by strong stations. Thing the frequency is more like 5960
B5566

Post by B5566 »

If it's a legit station it will be 5960khz - 5khz broadcast spacing on sw
When read 5958khz I thought it could be one of few clandestine stations left
Resistance is futile.