Harrier CBHQ restoration tips ?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
pgcam
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1FXE

Harrier CBHQ restoration tips ?

Post by pgcam »

In a fit of nostalgia I recently got hold of an old Harrier CBHQ. Electrically it's fine & appears to be unmolested however after cleaning off 30 years of grime (and other unidentified muck) there are a couple of cosmetic issues I want to attend to:

Top Case, Knobs & front panel plastic bits could all do with a respray as in some places the paint has worn away. I've taken the front panel off & given it a good clean however it looks like I'll have to mask it up and spray the large plastic plate in situ, because as well as being fixed by the mounting pegs being melted over there's a good bead of contact adhesive around the outside - unless someone knows a good way to remove it ?

Paint colour - All of the above bits I guess I would describe as 'gun metal grey', does anyone know of a good off the shelf colour match for the original colour ? Presumably Halfords may have something similar ?

Back panel - It looks like its been stored in a damp environment as there's a reasonable amount of corrosion to take care of. My plan it to remove it, take off all the bits and bobs (aerial socket, serial number plate etc) to try and make it look as good as I can.
Is a cutting compound & a rotary mop the best way to tackle this ?

I do like a good weekend project :?

Any tips gratefully received (apart from 'throw it in the bin' ;) )

Cheers,
Peter.....
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: Harrier CBHQ restoration tips ?

Post by Transwarp »

I'd take one or two of the knobs to a car parts shop and try match up a tin of spray paint. Bear in mind you may have to use a universal barrier coat plastic primer on these parts as certain paints may end up melting them! I'd stick with acrylic based paint and clear coat. As for removing the front plastic insert panel, you could use a Dremel to cut through the melted over tabs and then see if you can ease the panel away from the adhesive. providing you don't damage the panel you can always stick it back on after restoration work is finished and I'd use either a clear or black silicone sealant to do this rather then contact adhesive.

Cleaning the corroded metal case will depend on how bad. I've seen them rusted up and badly pitted which means cordless drill with either wire brush or flap wheel attachment and giving it a bit of pasty to get back to shiny metal first, then it's a case of using fine wet and dry paper with a bit of sewing machine oil as a medium to assist in removing the swirl and scratch marks and a cutting compound to finish off.

You didn't mention what the wood end panels condition are like?
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

on the wood side i sprayed mine in satin black, gave them a great wood effect..

servisol foam cleaner will work great on the front spray it, leave it to soak, wipe away and spray again if needed..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
satelitesid

Post by satelitesid »

Take the metal bit to a car paint manufacturer. Look in local yellow pages or google.
They should have a gizmo that determines the paint colour, a bit like a spectrum analyser that they fire at the paint and get the colour match.
Then they can knock up a rattle can, which is normally about a tenner.
pgcam
Regular
Regular

Post by pgcam »

Thanks all some great tips.

Transwarp - I did think about attacking the plastic panel with my Dremel I was just concerned about levering against the glue. But as you say carefully does it. I'll give it a bash. BTW the wooden side panel are actually in good condition
The back panel has that 'goldish' finish, I think i'll start off with some less aggressive methods first and increase depending on how I get on.

Bigpimp347 - Great tip with the Servisol foam cleaner. I always have several tins on hand. I the old days when I serviced Fruit machines etc I used to marvel at the white foam turning brown as it lifted the nicotine out of parts. Not quite as stiff a foam as it used to be but still really good.

Peter.....
pgcam
Regular
Regular

Post by pgcam »

satelitesid wrote:Take the metal bit to a car paint manufacturer. Look in local yellow pages or google.
They should have a gizmo that determines the paint colour, a bit like a spectrum analyser that they fire at the paint and get the colour match.
Then they can knock up a rattle can, which is normally about a tenner.
Apologies I hit submit on my previous post too soon. Great idea, time for a bit of Googling to find a local [place with a paint analyser.

Peter.....
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

timbob has a nice one he made some handles for it too like the jumbo
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
timbob58
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm957

Post by timbob58 »

here they are ,,collecting dust :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"