hf antenna

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
gerald123

hf antenna

Post by gerald123 »

Hi lads , I have a caravan and would like to listen to kinloss rescue and HF air band, but nor enough room on camp site , to put up a long wire...........just looked on eBay,and found ...... the scan master HF active antenna 1- 30 MHz...has any won tried one of these antennas and how good are they
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: hf antenna

Post by kr0ne »

Get a long wire up... :P There's got to be something on the campsite you can chuck it at and make it stick. They not got any trees or anything?

You'll get a couple of fibreglass fishing poles for £20 if nothing else - one off each and of the 'van and you're off!
gerald123

Post by gerald123 »

Thanks for reply......no trees on camp site ...but I can try the fishing pole method from the front / of caravan to the back....the wire will be about 15 feet long .
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

It can be longer than that, you have wire up the first pole, between them then down the next, angle the poles to stretch the ends further & make the whole thing easily dismantled etc.
Also put in a good ground if you can.

IMO Will knock the pants off a little thing like the one you linked to.
M6XRE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6XRE

Post by M6XRE »

I'm away and can't remember the name of the poles, let alone a link to B&Q who sell em. Anyway, they are telescopic poles costing about £11 each, and extend to 5m. Buy three of these (two if you are one of those caravans who have a flagpole thingie on the tow hook), and fit two at rear of caravan, one at each corner, and one at front. Instead of a dipole running front to rear, run it as a V dipole, the feed point at the front pole, and a leg running to each corner at rear.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

There is this at B&Q but you will need to find a way of fixing it for easy removal etc (and not damaging the van).

I have often seen red & white extending poles at the side of motorway roadworks where they have little flags running between then to prevent high vehicles going through & wondered if I could find someone that works there :)
CookieRaider
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: M0RMO

Post by CookieRaider »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Telescopi ... 20c23eb03c

Inverted v dipole, mounting the poll in the middle of the caravan (at one side ;) ) blown over in grey primer it wouldn't stand out so much, light enough to mount on a washing line base or small buried poll so its not fixed to the caravan, you should get at least 25' at the tip
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 07 Jan 2013
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 24 June 2013
inaugural champion of the coveted "Putting sex before trivial internet games" award November 2013
gerald123

Post by gerald123 »

Thanks lads, some good ideas to try out..........
M6XRE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6XRE

Post by M6XRE »

Mattylad wrote:There is this at B&Q but you will need to find a way of fixing it for easy removal etc (and not damaging the van).

I have often seen red & white extending poles at the side of motorway roadworks where they have little flags running between then to prevent high vehicles going through & wondered if I could find someone that works there :)
That's the beggar, Harris pole. Gone up a bit since I bought mine. Easy fixing? Duck tape it, using one long strip from corner pole to corner pole. Or, buy 15m of cheap nylon rope. Tie a slip knot in the middle and tighten around top of pole. Erect pole. Run one free end to wheel axle, tighten the rope and tie off, take the other end over the roof, down to opposite wheel exale, and tie off. Repeat for pole on opposite corner.
gerald123

Post by gerald123 »

problem solved ..and did not take mutch effort..at the side of my caravan about ten feet away there is a privot hedge about twelve foot high ,i tied a tied a 15 foot length of garden wire to a small pop bottle half filled with watter for weight and threw it over the top of the hedge and the other end tied off to the caravan with a plastic insolator.......atached the tag end of wire to rg 58 coax ,and a earth wire from braid to a 2 foot long ground spike .......i cant beleve how good it works kinloss comes in loud and clear ... . the last three nights a lot of american stations on 20 and 40 metres.... great stuff
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice work! Love the pop bottle weight idea... urban camouflage! :D