Has 2 meters become a CB band?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Has 2 meters become a CB band?

Post by MW6ZAN »

:( Hi all i have heard a lot of bad opps on two repeaters gb3bc and gb3ww over the last year problem is that the most abuse comes from full licenced opps not the foundation and intermediate licence holders as is being made out by a certain member of tm1 to be honest in any walk of life you will get iq0s bent on creating problems for the majority with radio kit now available from china costing under 40 quid the barn door has been opened and this problem ant gona go away untill ofcom gets off its arse and starts to enforce the regs i have just started opps on hf running 10 watts from an ic706 love inter g working but in the last 9 weeks on 40 meters i have been told in a very nice way to bugger off and as i hold a foundation licence i should not be on hf at all that was by full licenced g callsigns but out of all the contacts i have logged on hf and 2 meters the vast majority have been helpfull and was a pleasure to work their stations also the majority of stations working 2 meters seem to be ok as i stated above repeaters seem to have problems from all callsigns and i would not say that 2 meters is becoming a cb band
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I've also been kindly to bugger off from 40 meters, I then decided to spend most of the day calling CQ and making contacts on 40 Meters just to prove a point that I will not be told be another license holder what I can and can't do just because they don't like foundation license holders. If my license says I can use HF, then I'll use HF :D

Its kinda funny because there are a few full licensees who seem to think they can make up there own rules that only apply to them and then impose there own rules onto foundation license holders. I was told by a G4 to not use my 2 meter yagi antenna to beam onto other stations without being on QRZ :?
Captain Lockheed

Post by Captain Lockheed »

StormShadow wrote: I was told by a G4 to not use my 2 meter yagi antenna to beam onto other stations without being on QRZ :?
Now did he actually say that? I suspect he was saying that you, and those you would be talking to on 2m, would have serious problems finding the correct bearing to beam at if you didn't have a qrz entry of your own with your location in it.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

RogerD wrote:But CB was open to everyone, whereas ham radio is now open to..... anyone attending a simple course, even kids. :lol:
And anyone who can make up a callsign and buy a cheap handheld off the internet for less than a new CB used to cost (inflation adjusted) back in the 80s.

Hmmmm. Maybe it is CB now. CB for geeks, without so many women. :(
I wish I was around for the days of CB it sounds like fun. I met a woman once from the CB back in 2006 so it is possible there might still be a few on.

I heard a few females on 2/70 this weekend all of them are M6 call signs I've go to say I was very surprised to hear female voices on Amateur radio. GB3DA & GB3RE are where they are ;)

Unfortunately there were no females when I did my foundation course.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Captain Lockheed wrote:
StormShadow wrote: I was told by a G4 to not use my 2 meter yagi antenna to beam onto other stations without being on QRZ :?
Now did he actually say that? I suspect he was saying that you, and those you would be talking to on 2m, would have serious problems finding the correct bearing to beam at if you didn't have a qrz entry of your own with your location in it.
Possibly... I didn't really like his attitude towards me but as a good operator I remained polite & said 73 to him
26TM554
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM554

Post by 26TM554 »

If in the Coventry area there are always a bunch of Muppets on 145.550. Worse think is listening to them they actually sound licensed, they occasionally talk about radio stuff but most of the time they are just F***ing and blinding. they now they are doing wrong as if they do give a call it will be M0 blah blah blah (literally). The prefix can be different but the way of giving the call is the same. At the same time 11m is dead.
73's
Bryan
Classic

Post by Classic »

StormShadow wrote:I've just been informed by few other amateurs that the offenders of 144.725 are already under investigation.
Was Salem 2e0ekf involved ? He was on the CB Radio years ago causing trouble and got owned for his trouble
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

Excalibur wrote:
StormShadow wrote:
Well I am petitioning a VHF CB channel if you look on the licence free section of the forums..
I was talking about this a few weeks back with friends and its something i would like to see.............
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Few of us in Cornwall call 2m VHF CB. Not to take the pee, but more as a term of endearment as many an ex-CB'er uses it for local chit-chat, in a not too dissimilar way to CB but without the swearing and no Olga!! Having said that, CB is a gentleman's band here in the motherland these days as the idiots have faded away years ago.(Apart from the truckers swearing on ch 19, but so do the fisherman on ch 6 & 8 Marine VHF - that's just life.)

When I hear Amateurs saying to the on-air idiots and abusers (usually on 40m) saying "Go back to 11m CB", I find this offensive as there are many a good operator on 11m. You could turn this around and say, "Please idiots and boring farts stay on 40m CB band and leave 11m to the proper radio aficionados." Lol :lol:
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

ChelseaCat wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
StormShadow wrote:
Well I am petitioning a VHF CB channel if you look on the licence free section of the forums..
I was talking about this a few weeks back with friends and its something i would like to see.............
I would like to see it as well. 149 MHz would be a nice frequency band to operate. But unfortunately it's very unlikely and quite a few TM1 members are quite negative to the proposal. It's like they are happy with the status quo in the way the spectrum is managed.

Perhaps instead of calling it VHF CB (since CB has an unfortunate reputation), call it Family Radio Service or the Personal Radio Band for non-commercial use. Antennas and compliant equipment is already available ;)
moonstrikerII
Call Sign: tm1965

Post by moonstrikerII »

Irishham1127 wrote:Fasten your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen, we are about to encounter some turbulence....lol
love it irishham and Lá Fhéile Pádraig too all.
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

RadioPixie wrote:Few of us in Cornwall call 2m VHF CB. Not to take the pee, but more as a term of endearment as many an ex-CB'er uses it for local chit-chat, in a not too dissimilar way to CB but without the swearing and no Olga!! Having said that, CB is a gentleman's band here in the motherland these days as the idiots have faded away years ago.(Apart from the truckers swearing on ch 19, but so do the fisherman on ch 6 & 8 Marine VHF - that's just life.)

When I hear Amateurs saying to the on-air idiots and abusers (usually on 40m) saying "Go back to 11m CB", I find this offensive as there are many a good operator on 11m. You could turn this around and say, "Please idiots and boring farts stay on 40m CB band and leave 11m to the proper radio aficionados." Lol :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Got to say I find CB radio great these days too and more like it used to be in the AM days, not many on though but on the plus side not many idiots but the guys that are on usually have a great conversation and laugh with, yes the odd swear word pops out from time to time but its just a few guys having a bit banter and harming no one and for me thats what radio is all about , not having to give your call sign out every 15 minutes is also great because TBH I find that in itself gets to be a chore where you rattle it out that quick that no one heard it anyway :roll:
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

Classic wrote: Was Salem 2e0ekf involved ? He was on the CB Radio years ago causing trouble and got owned for his trouble

Selim is now M0XTA ...have spoke with him a few times :? ...You know to make your excuses when the subject of 4 meters comes up :lol: :lol: :lol:
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

4m is a nice part of the spectrum Mark ;) but even in sleepy Cornwall I have heard about Selim's 4m obsession and I don't even know him :lol:
Captain Lockheed

Post by Captain Lockheed »

Mark-in-Essex wrote:
Classic wrote: Was Salem 2e0ekf involved ? He was on the CB Radio years ago causing trouble and got owned for his trouble

Selim is now M0XTA ...have spoke with him a few times :? ...You know to make your excuses when the subject of 4 meters comes up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Selim can be hard work, and he has 'issues', but he's pretty much a reformed character these days. Far worse being churned out from the instant ham factories in Essex.