Vector 4000 Remake

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
HomerBB
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Vector 4000 Remake

Post by HomerBB »

I have made a few comparisons of this one, the Q2v4k, to the dipole with both having a bottom height of 27.5'; the Q2v4k (Quasi 2 Vector 4000 Homebrew) has handily beaten out the humble, but nimble, dipole in every case except those within 2 miles of me.

I am seeing and hearing perceptible differences between them, and reports are confirming this for me by some with whom I am in contact.

In the DX melee it is difficult to get reports, but I have managed some on the upper quieter channels with the Q2v4k reigning chief over the dipole by at least 1 to 2 S units. We know DX is the great equalizer.

On the local scene when DX is not ruling the band I have enjoyed better results with the Q2v4k as well.

Rogers, AR to Jane, MO ---- 20 miles as if in the neighborhood.

Rogers, AR to Berryville, AR ---- 31 miles, giving him 7 - 9 with him sounding as if he were within the 20 mile range.

Rogers, AR to Wyandotte, OK ---- 47 miles through the Ozarks with clearly readable transmissions each way. He sounded as if he were half that distance. He disappeared when I switched to the dipole.

I can not prove this, but I sincerely believe this antenna does as it is purported to do, it lays the signal much nearer the horizon than other omnis.

In every case I was working with 150 watts PEP.

I an hoping to catch some of those stations that work AM out in the Branson , MO area A 68 mile trip though some of our most rugged terrain, and beyond that that I have not heard since the Qv4k(my original homebrew) went on to another home.

This one has required more patience as I have striven to make it a permanent build since the beginning. It is not a soft line and sash cord build, no duct tape either!

Listen up for me, I'll be hunting you.
ImageImage
HomerBB
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by HomerBB »

Latest photos. I moved the X strap that supports the radials in position upward . It wasn't long enough to go any higher until I modified it.

Image Image
ImageImage
HomerBB
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by HomerBB »

I pushed it up to 36' to the bottom of the antenna.

I wish I had more height, but I am enjoying this as it is.

Image Image

Image Image
ImageImage
Ian1800
Regular
Regular

Post by Ian1800 »

Hi HomerBB,
I've tried many antennas over the years but keep coming back to the sigma IV,
Not sure about the 3 radials vs 4, I thought it was done to get round copyright.
Would 5 be better?
I like how you have connected the gamma match to the OS239 which is a week point on the original Avanti, mine has broke 4 times over the years and the next time I'll change it to the way you have built yours.

Great build; hope you can tell us how it performs over the next few months.

Thanks for posting
HomerBB
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by HomerBB »

Thanks, Ian
There are differences of opinion on the 3 vs 4 radials, but I figure it may be better, and being the latest change I figured why not try it and see.

It really works well, and I hope some of the changes I made will make it stronger.

I'll try to keep everyone posted on the performance.
ImageImage
HomerBB
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by HomerBB »

A question that always arises is about the durability of the Vector 4000. A lingering complaint is that this antenna lacks integrity and will break easily. For this redo I wanted to add more structural strength to the original design. I double walled the lower 5.5'. I used heavier walled tubing for the cone radials, I beefed up the dog bone for the Gamma Match, and rebuilt the cross supports stronger, but even a third modification for that has not yet been added to the antenna. It is to go up a little higher on the vertical when I out it on (this week).

However, we had a monstrous storm pass through Saturday night. Winds were in excess of 60 MPH. Straight line winds were around 40 MPH continuously.
I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. I went into the shack and checked the SWR several times as the Moxon and the Vector 4000 wiggled and swayed with the winds. The Moxon mostly warped a bit here and there, but the Vector 4k laid over nearly horizontal. The V4k held a steady 1.0:1 SWR, and the Moxon moved from its usual 1.15:1 SWR on 27.385 to 1.4:1 settling back to 1.15:1 when it was all said and done. I took a quick photo of the two of them this morning after the storm. Neither antenna suffered any damage, but the very top of my push up pole beneath the V4k was left with a permanent bend which has my antenna leaning quite a bit. I am pleased for the way both antennas behaved in that storm.

Trees fell, some buildings were roof damaged, and some smaller structured were demolished by the strong winds. Some trees lost limbs of 6" diameter. One of my neighbors saw is 8" trunk on a Maple split down the middle.

ImageImage
HomerBB
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by HomerBB »

As it turns out we did have a tornado. This one set down 2 miles from my house.

ROGERS, Ark. (AP) - The National Weather Service has confirmed a tornado touched down in Rogers during overnight storms.

A survey team from the National Weather Service in Tulsa, Okla., surveyed the scene on Sunday. A number of businesses sustained damage, including in the Pinnacle Hills commercial area.

The weather service says radar indicated the twister touched down just after 9:30 p.m. Saturday as a wave of heavy rain and high winds buffeted the area.

No serious injuries were reported. The storm knocked down trees and power lines.

The weather service initially rated the tornado as an EF-1, meaning it would have had winds of between 86 mph and 110 mph, but forecasters later said the tornado had not yet been rated.

Image Image
ImageImage
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Close escape that :o
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
Sipke
Regular
Regular

Post by Sipke »

This is a very good antenne for dxin on the 11 meter band and olso cb radio.

Good job .

Gr, Sipke
Better have a good antenna with a bad tranciever , than a good tranciever with a bad antenna