Scanning radio frequencies for the South West
LASER
Regular
Regular

Strange transmissions in Torbay area

Post by LASER »

Hi,

I've been listening to transmissions in the Torbay area on 164.525MHz FM
I can hear both sides of the conversation. It's not Taxis as far as I can tell. There is a data type noise at the end of every over, after a while it hops frequency and can usually be found slightly further up the frequency band. One chap mentioned "fitting some parts" the rest of the conversations usually revolve around arranging times to meet in the pub :P . Does anybody have any ideas as to what or who it might be.
many thanks
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Strange transmissions in Torbay area

Post by 310den »

Hi
It's just trunked radio. I find it annoying when scanning.
Here is a wiki definition of it:

Trunked radio
LASER
Regular
Regular

Post by LASER »

Wow, that was quick.

The wiki article about trunked radio was quite interesting. I'll keep listening to that frequency
and see if I can figure out which company(s) is using it, it always seems to be the same two
chaps and there usually in the Paignton area.
and of course If I find any more interesting frequencies then I'll post them on this forum.

Many thanks for your help.
Wally

Post by Wally »

You can find alot of bus, and breakdown companies on the trunked frequencies. Just remember, more than one company can use the frequency.

To be honest, trunk bores me. Never anything worth listening to unless you want to know about the bus company that reported a 'knocking' noise and it turnsout out to be a brake disc 'falling off'....

Look up 'Goulds' frequencies on the ofcom site, it seems to cover alot of devon and cornwall
2E0DVN
Icom F510 VHF
Motorola GP380 VHF & UHF
Uniden 3500XLT
Intek MT-5050 Modded
Jingtong JT-208
Motorola TLKR-T7 PMR446
Moonraker Scan King Royal Discone
Mag mount on a biscuit tin...
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Wally wrote:You can find alot of bus, and breakdown companies on the trunked frequencies. Just remember, more than one company can use the frequency.

To be honest, trunk bores me. Never anything worth listening to unless you want to know about the bus company that reported a 'knocking' noise and it turnsout out to be a brake disc 'falling off'....

Look up 'Goulds' frequencies on the ofcom site, it seems to cover alot of devon and cornwall
Yes don't I know it. There is a repeater antenna right near me and I get so much noise on VHF from it, the data is so strong. I cannot get on their network but I can blot them out if I try, I don't though as I think that is pointless and silly, just wish it was not so near to my home location.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Unlucky! I bet that makes scanning a bit of a nightmare around your way. Where abouts in Cornwall are you?
2E0DVN
Icom F510 VHF
Motorola GP380 VHF & UHF
Uniden 3500XLT
Intek MT-5050 Modded
Jingtong JT-208
Motorola TLKR-T7 PMR446
Moonraker Scan King Royal Discone
Mag mount on a biscuit tin...
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Wally wrote:Unlucky! I bet that makes scanning a bit of a nightmare around your way. Where abouts in Cornwall are you?
Scanning is a nightmare on VHF between 160 and 200 MHz.
I am in Newquay. The antenna is 40 feet away from my house!