Foundation licence

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Re: Foundation licence

Post by Ashtec »

You will pass it mate read the book and remember it..
My lad whent for his test at the same time as me and only missed it by 1 question and he dose's not know any think about radio.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
compo
Regular
Regular

Post by compo »

i passed mine on saturday got 5 wrong out of 25 there was 7 of us and we all passed , it was a long day to as they went throught nearly every thing in morning then we did 3 mock test before we took main 1 , 25 question on sheet yu only need 18 and like some have said on here if you know radio stuff it helps and read book as well . just take your time on exam and read the question as well above all relax dnt worry you will pass
good luck
uniden 2830
antron 99
watson 10amp power supply

26 AT 172
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

compo wrote:i passed mine on saturday got 5 wrong out of 25 there was 7 of us and we all passed , it was a long day to as they went throught nearly every thing in morning then we did 3 mock test before we took main 1 , 25 question on sheet yu only need 18 and like some have said on here if you know radio stuff it helps and read book as well . just take your time on exam and read the question as well above all relax dnt worry you will pass
good luck
nice one ;)
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
NITRO

Post by NITRO »

Well done on passing compo .... congratulations to ya fella ;)
163-TM-565
flyby
Regular
Regular

Post by flyby »

Morse is still used as an aircraft navigation beacon identifier,listen in after tuning to beacon frequency to double-check the beacon is the one you want.
Do they still have Morse Appreciation in this? If so, why oh why?....

I can appreciate what morse was - Somthing that was needed before they figured out how to modulate speech - It soulds like dots and dashes, and thats all I need to know about it! If I hear dah ditty dah ditty dah dah anywhere on the bands, then I know I have stumbled upon someone who refuses to let go of the past! So why oh why do you need to be able to send the damned stuff to be able to appreciate that some folk are stuck in a timewarp?

I recall when doing HF marine and aeronautical radio tickets more than 20 years ago, they said that Morse was dead and due to be phased out in a few years time (for marine anyway - probably got phased out for aeronautical sometime about WW2!) and wouldn't be covered in the syllabus!

I don't need a Latin appreciation course to be able to use English, so why a Morse appreciation course to use SSB?[/quote]
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Post by Jon_D »

then I know I have stumbled upon someone who refuses to let go of the past!
You are talking total rubbish..Morse will get through when voice modes are lost in the noise. This is especially true when bands appear "flat" or sunspot minima. The most recent 2010 survey by ARRL shows that even more radio amateurs than before are turning to morse as a means of communication. The reason morse was dropped from the licence T&Cs was that the marine services which shared frequencies with the amateurs started using satellite communications. Until then, amateurs had to learn morse to avoid interference. If what you have written above is your honest opinion, then i feel that you should look for another hobby than amateur radio.
Even if the voices on my head aren't real, they do have some pretty good ideas

Jon G4FUT
Ex-Army
RSARS 1425
Eddythealien
Regular
Regular

Post by Eddythealien »

Hi

As a person just about to sit the foudation theory and just done the morse appreciation bit, then my take on things is:

CW is a significant building block in the whole amateur radio worl; I guess it's the first data mode and has the ability to be received when other transmission types just cannot be read even on low powers. As such it opens the mind that there is more to amateur radio than simply speech based communications.

I think it cuts to the ethos os amateur radio ....that it's about education and experimentation....it's not a chat room by radio.

Oddly enough when I did my morse appreciation the thing that caught me attention was when the member who is proficient in morse gave me a demo on the clu radio of morse in the realy worl most of the members wanted to see and all said they wished they were proficient in CW

regards

Eddy
Yaesu FRG-100
Yaesu VR-5000
Yaesu FRG-7700
Yaesu FRG-7000
Icom FRG-100
Icom IC-718
Icom IC-706 Mk1
Icom PCR-100
President Jackson
MJ6BDJ, 2J0COQ & MJ0LEL
Kenwood TR-9130
Baofang UV-3R
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

Eddythealien wrote:As a person just about to sit the foudation theory and just done the morse appreciation bit, then my take on things is:

CW is a significant building block in the whole amateur radio worl; I guess it's the first data mode and has the ability to be received when other transmission types just cannot be read even on low powers. As such it opens the mind that there is more to amateur radio than simply speech based communications.

I think it cuts to the ethos os amateur radio ....that it's about education and experimentation....it's not a chat room by radio.

Oddly enough when I did my morse appreciation the thing that caught me attention was when the member who is proficient in morse gave me a demo on the clu radio of morse in the realy worl most of the members wanted to see and all said they wished they were proficient in CW
An very interesting and insightful post..... Thankyou.
The devil finds work for idle circuits
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Post by Jon_D »

Eddythealien
Very well argued. I'm certain you will enjoy the many and varied facets of our hobby.
Even if the voices on my head aren't real, they do have some pretty good ideas

Jon G4FUT
Ex-Army
RSARS 1425
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

Just to add to what Jon said above, Morse will indeed get through when voice modes are lost in the noise. So, of course, will many of the modern digital modes - but you need a computer to send and receive them. All you need to send Morse is a switch which, in a crisis, you can make yourself and, to receive it, a brain and some ears, which it is to be hoped you already have :)

The reason I have gone back to Morse after an absence of some years is that it's a quick and easy fix for PLT and all the other QRM curses of the modern world. I live in a mid-terrace house with a tiny garden and the racket on many of the HF bands makes it very difficult to operate on SSB a lot of the time. Plug in a Morse key, switch in a 500Hz filter and I'm able to enjoy amateur radio again with a theoretically hopeless antenna and very low power which doesn't cause interference to my (very close) neighbours.

I know I could use data modes but I've tried that and nearly died of boredom reading the macros and pressing function keys - it's like building a QSO out of Lego bricks!

Maybe the musicians among you will understand when I say that using Morse is a bit like playing a fretless bass or a violin - you're using technology but also playing an organic part in the process, which makes it very rewarding.

Neil
Neil
SKCC #9547
FISTS #15918

JO01bu
TL42
techiesteve
Regular
Regular

Post by techiesteve »

CW/morse is very popular and is a long way from dying out. Although now there is no licence morse test, more and more operators are either learning morse or brushing up on it to a useable speed. I last attempted to learn cw back in the late 1960's, could only be accurate receiving at up to 8 wpm and gave up. Now in a short time I'm moving forward in leaps and bounds. I'm looking forward to working the world on a 1950's Elizabethan cw transmitter I'm restoring. I only wish computer generated fast morse would die out.
Steve M0SVB
NITRO

Post by NITRO »

Well i just got back in from the foundation class and found it really interesting .. looking forward to the next one now... talking to the guy who is teaching and told him about the site .... only to discover hes allready a member on here ... :lol:
Anyways .. i will keep you informed as to how im getting on lads ;)
163-TM-565
SilverKnight

Post by SilverKnight »

NITRO wrote:Well i just got back in from the foundation class and found it really interesting .. looking forward to the next one now... talking to the guy who is teaching and told him about the site .... only to discover hes allready a member on here ... :lol:
Anyways .. i will keep you informed as to how im getting on lads ;)
Hi Nitro,

Best thing to do to pass he foundation exam is to get the newest edition of the foundation book as possible. Have a look here:-

http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online ... ng_19.html

Also you can do mock exams on www.hamtests.co.uk.

Best of luck.
73's
Mark
http://www.mw0mau.net
163TM018 (no longer used)
MW6MAU
2W0UAA
MW0MAU
Foundation Instructor Blackwood ADRS
Eddythealien
Regular
Regular

Post by Eddythealien »

Yipee...passed the foundtaion tonight.

regards

Eddythealien
Yaesu FRG-100
Yaesu VR-5000
Yaesu FRG-7700
Yaesu FRG-7000
Icom FRG-100
Icom IC-718
Icom IC-706 Mk1
Icom PCR-100
President Jackson
MJ6BDJ, 2J0COQ & MJ0LEL
Kenwood TR-9130
Baofang UV-3R
bluas

Post by bluas »

blackwood rally tomorrow 16 oct prob get a book there and meet the instructor cheers j