Callsigns Magic54 and osprey ?

Scanning radio frequencies for the North East
Am133
New User
New User

Callsigns Magic54 and osprey ?

Post by Am133 »

Live now on 231.42500am and 373.27500am first time i have picked them up in the Newcastle upon Tyne area and was wondering what they were?
Thanks in advance
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Callsigns Magic54 and osprey ?

Post by fez »

Osprey= Hawk T1 4 FTS/208 Sqn Valley
Magic is awacs.

As the awacs fly so high you only probably heard it, And not the hawks. Thats unless they were flying near you.

http://www.milscanners.co.uk/calldb.html
Am133
New User
New User

Post by Am133 »

aye thats right a could only hear the magic callsign talking !
just out of interest any idea were they would be operating ??
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

Alot of the hawk valley jets train here in Wales, Mainly mid/south.

Not sure of any where else they train. Just know the above as they are always flying over/around my house.
Am133
New User
New User

Post by Am133 »

Mad , I'm new to all this scanning.
Only bought myself one a few weeks ago because a fancied having it for the Sunderland air show next year !
I am just over a mile from Newcastle airport but there is a block of flats between me and the tower so what i get from there is very hissy and squelchy , but if the AWACS was further down south towards RAF Valley amazingly I was picking him up crystal clear ????
Iam thinking of investing in an out door aerial to try and improve my chances of pulling in from further a field but don't fancy the naked umbrella type as i would prefer to be a bit more discrete could you recommend one that would cover both military and civil air band
Thanks
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

You heard it so clear as it's probably very high in the air.

Not sure of a antenna but I use a homemade 2m ham dipole in the loft and works very well for mil air. I have a ex military discone I need to stick up when I get some time.
lakenheathmagic
Regular
Regular

Post by lakenheathmagic »

Magic54 was working with export13 flight Nato04 and he also had voodoo flight Tornado's from marham i think pyro21 was involved also they were in OTA E ( operational training area ) uk 5. I am a member on fighter control that gives more of a heads up of military air. OTA E9echo) is edinbursouth to newcastle ishand north of edinburgh to dundee area with a small bit over the north sea. 233.3750 is the main frequency for this area. 231.4250 is Awacs allocator primary frequency loads of flight plans frequencies involved aircarft all callsigns etc given on here.they mainly use in this area flamborough air refuelling frequency of 243.6500 of which you'll hear the quids usaf tankers. Airwaves 2010 is a superb book displays maps in the rear of the book showing all air-air refuelling areas and awacs orbital areas. hope this helps :D