Icom-R75 & Wellbrook ALA 1530 Active Loop Antenna

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Turbo

Icom-R75 & Wellbrook ALA 1530 Active Loop Antenna

Post by Turbo »

I got on order an Icom-R75 hf receiver which should be in australia within the next 4-6 weeks and i also bought a Wellbrook ALA 1530 Active Loop Antenna and that should take around 3 weeks to get i been dying to get back into listenning to hf and i do have a few radios to try the antenna on and the next thing will be an hf multicoupler.

Regards Lino.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Icom-R75 & Wellbrook ALA 1530 Active Loop Antenna

Post by Andy »

Well Lino, you won't go far wrong with a Wellbrook! Mine's been up for years now, and I wouldn't get rid of it for all the tea in China. I'm plagued by local noise here, and the 1530 has saved my sanity and my hobby. If you haven't read my review and seen the associated plots, it's here:

www.freewebs.com/g1hbe

and select 'Wellbrook Loop' from the menu on the left. I'm sure you've read the other online stuff about it. The Icom 75 is a damn fine receiver too. Good luck.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Andy my dad got the Wellbrook ALA1530 & the ALA330 and its intresting to see how it handles the hf utilities signals because i use to have the Rf Systems Dx-1
Professional hf antenna and that was an excellent antenna and i use to run on an R75 which regret selling both and the next thing i will be getting is a Stridsberg hf multicoupler i already have 2 vhf/uhf stridsberg multicouplers and are an excellente accessorie to have in the hobby.

Regards lino.
BertLFC
Regular
Regular

Post by BertLFC »

A friend of mine who recently passed had a Wellbrook and was more than impressed with its performance. He had the indoor 'plastic' loop which had a tendency to sag so he cut a broomstick to length and stood it up in the middle. Worked a treat! Bought from the 'Shortwave Shop' in Dorset. Had it set up on an Icom IC R-8500. Was excellent in the lower bands. 80m an such :D
tomed

Post by tomed »

Turbo wrote:I got on order an Icom-R75 hf receiver which should be in australia within the next 4-6 weeks and i also bought a Wellbrook ALA 1530 Active Loop Antenna and that should take around 3 weeks to get i been dying to get back into listenning to hf and i do have a few radios to try the antenna on and the next thing will be an hf multicoupler.

Regards Lino.
Hi Lino.
I can't comment on the ALA 1530 but i've been using a Wellbrook ALA 330S mounted about 5 mtrs high and about 6 mtrs from my house! I have it conected to my JRC NRD-545 and i'm extremly pleased wth the results so far! Only had it about 4 months! I've just bought 2 Realistic DX-394's simply to monitor the search and rescue bands and i'm debating wether or not to get another loop for one of them. Hope it works well for you.....Malcolm.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Gday Malcolm well at the moment its a waiting game everthing is paid but nothing arrived yet and i am thinking about getting another hf antenna and most likely it will be from RF systems,i will be mainley monitoring hf aero and utilities and i use to stay up all night to listen but i thought this time the only way to get back into hf is get the antenna and i use to have an Rf Systems Dx-one Mk-11 pfrofessional hf antenna regret selling it.

Regards Lino.
AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3/GRE-PSR500/ICOM-RX7/ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20
ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500/ICOM-R75/KENWOOD TS-480SAT
REALISTIC-PRO2035/UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780/YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500.
tomed

Post by tomed »

Turbo wrote:Gday Malcolm well at the moment its a waiting game everthing is paid but nothing arrived yet and i am thinking about getting another hf antenna and most likely it will be from RF systems,i will be mainley monitoring hf aero and utilities and i use to stay up all night to listen but i thought this time the only way to get back into hf is get the antenna and i use to have an Rf Systems Dx-one Mk-11 pfrofessional hf antenna regret selling it.

Regards Lino.
AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3/GRE-PSR500/ICOM-RX7/ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20
ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500/ICOM-R75/KENWOOD TS-480SAT
REALISTIC-PRO2035/UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780/YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500.
Morning Lino. I think i will investigate the DX-ONE. The wellbrook is a great atenna but at a cost of £260 including postage and cable it should be!..Malcolm.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I received the Wellbrook ALA1530 Active Loop it was packed well and i was quoted 48 pounds for shipping but came to 59 pounds and didnt get charged the extra 11 pounds,the regulated linear 12 volt DC 500ma power supply coming tomorrow antenna testing time in the weekend.

Regards Lino.
tomed

Post by tomed »

Turbo wrote:I received the Wellbrook ALA1530 Active Loop it was packed well and i was quoted 48 pounds for shipping but came to 59 pounds and didnt get charged the extra 11 pounds,the regulated linear 12 volt DC 500ma power supply coming tomorrow antenna testing time in the weekend.

Regards Lino.
Hi. Lino
I'm excited for you! Bet you can't wait! Let us know how you get on.
Have a nice weekend...Malcolm.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Hi Malcolm i tried the antenna without the preamp and it seemed that the closer it was to a power point the signal was strong the further away from it seems same signal was week.

Regards Lino.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

The R-75 is still a few weeks away due to icom australia lost the order so the 6 weeks is up next week and now its going to be 6-8 weeks before i get my radio around october and emailed icom and told them what i think been buying for over 25 years and there only excuse was its beyond our control and in the meantime i will be picking up a brand new Palstar-30A hf receiver next week icom australia seems to be loosing a lot of customers because of there ordering system and u think they would listen to there customers.

Regards Lino.
tomed

Post by tomed »

Turbo wrote:The R-75 is still a few weeks away due to icom australia lost the order so the 6 weeks is up next week and now its going to be 6-8 weeks before i get my radio around october and emailed icom and told them what i think been buying for over 25 years and there only excuse was its beyond our control and in the meantime i will be picking up a brand new Palstar-30A hf receiver next week icom australia seems to be loosing a lot of customers because of there ordering system and u think they would listen to there customers.

Regards Lino.
Morning Lino. How you getting on with the Wellbrook and the Palstar?
Malcolm.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Hi Malcolm the Palstar-R30A is an excellent hf receiver i am using the Icom-AH7000
discone at the moment we havent been getting a lot of windy days in excess of 100kmh plus not safe when u have to go on the roof of a double storey house.

Regards Lino.