Where have all the Hams gone (VHF)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
EMarkM
Call Sign: M0RZY

Re: Where have all the Hams gone (VHF)

Post by EMarkM »

I know I'm not on much at the moment, despite best efforts, both here on the forum and on air, but a hearty WELCOME to all newcomers and those who are starting Ham/CB/Marine/PMR or ANY form of radio comms for the first time, or are returning after an absence.

Ignore the fools (there are plenty of them) and, as described by the guys above, have a tinker around and find your niche. :)
26TM513 “Munch Man”
M0RZY

PMR: Cobra Microtalk MT700
CB: Intek H-520 Plus, Thunderpole T-800
2m/70cm: Kenwood TM-V71E, Yaesu FT-7900R, Intek KT-930EE
HF/6m: Icom IC-7200, Yaesu FT-817ND
Scanning: Uniden UBC3500XLT
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

There are surprising numbers of people interested in radios. I had a visitor to my office - a Fireman, but he trained the fire service boating team - bright red ribs used on the inland waterways of east anglia. So he used police radios (encrypted airwave), plus as a fire officer, he used short range UHF for the fireground comms, plus he was a ham AND used marine for the boat stuff. His job and hobbies cover practically every sphere of radio.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

Transwarp wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 17:10
bonnarn wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 12:19 So here we are in March 2023, I'm a newly qualified licensee and want to make the following observations based on my limited experience.
1. The RSGB need to move away from an incredibly intense technical based set of exams, in a modern 21st century environment the need to know such complex calculations is long dead - most modern operators buy off the shelf equipment. I don't want to know how inductance works any more than I want to know how the engine of my car works, what's important is that it does.
2. I have been calling CQ since qualifying on 2M & 70cm and the general consensus is that the band is dead or potentially manned by anti M7 snobbery. I say this safe that when I call "radio check" I tend to get blunt responses and no more. I am operating a lovely Yaesu 818 through a pre tuned 2M & 70cm white stick antenna mounted on my roof before you ask. When I have caught a conversation it has always been a 5 & 9 - so that leaves me with the fact I am being ignored as a humble M7.
3. I am surrounded by 3 really strong repeaters - calling 'listening' on these repeaters elicits total silence - again asking for a quick radio check I always get a 5 & 9 reply - at least I know my hardware's good, not the best basis for a hobby that I thought was open any friendly.
In summary - I have to ask have I wasted my money...perhaps, am I wasting my time...probably. Although as I approach retirement I did find a conversation discussing silent keys so maybe that's all I have to look forward to, I'm so glad I didn't buy the stupidly priced radio my local shop advised me to (£2000) at least this way I've only wasted £700 on the radio and antenna oh and a ton of nights listening to nowt but static.
First of all congratulations on passing and welcome to the forum.

Regarding the deflation you feel about manner and conduct towards foundation licence operators from others, who l'm guessing are full ticket operators you're referring to, l wouldn't let it bother you in the slightest. I've been an M3 for the best part of 20 years, and in that time you name it and I've had said to me over the air (and even on this forum to a certain degree) but it just went in one ear and out the other - and still does - but rare it happens to me these days.

You've earned the right to operate on the bands your licence allows so go right ahead and enjoy it. Those that don't want to talk with you or are of poor manner towards then just don't bother with them or let them bother you!

2m and 70cm were always my favourite but as the years have gone by they've become very little used from my neck of the woods and l found myself using HF, 6m, 4m more. I've used digital modes but not really my cup of tea, guess because l'm old school analogue.

Explore the different bands and modes, it'll take some time to give most a fair crack of the whip, but if you have an interest in radio you'll stick at it, because you have to be interested in radio imo to play radio, but if you're the type who just wants something to turn on now and again for a chit chat then ham radio l think wouldn't be for you, CB would fit the bill better in that case.

Don't let others put you off from exploring though, because they don't matter, and it's them types that shouldn't be on the air anyway.

Enjoy!

Good post, I'd give you a like but there aren't any ,👍🏼🤣
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

VHF..... it's like watching paint dry for me and I used to be avid user of vhf ssb but no more, first Tuesday of the month evening and it's infested with 5/9 io74kl and that does nothing for me.
You call out on there and you might as well be shouting out of the back door these days, as for fm portion well I frequent it occasionally but I don't spend much money or time on vhf anymore it's not what it was.
Hotspots and all that stuff hasn't helped vhf over the years, plus years ago ops cut their teeth on there not no more it gets skipped.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I have the radiomon dual watch in the car. Sadly there's more action on 446 than 2M these days. Last 2M conversation I managed was about weeks ago, tunrs out the guy was from the Fisherman's Freinds, the singing troupe.

Shame,, used to enjoy 2M analogue but it is what it is. Ive given in and gone DMR, else I'd have no-one to talk to at all.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

I have a 2M radio set up here and sometimes it's dead for days and other times it can be quite busy. I tend to listen mainly unless they are foundation licence holders, Why? Because a few times I have spoken or tried to speak to full licence holders I either get shot down in flames or ignored. Sad really but thats the way it seams around here. Yes Im an MW6 and the way I have been treated in the past by the 'big boys' puts me off progressing further. I'll stick to 11M freebanding where everyone is equal.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

@NightProwler
Regardless of their licence class, anybody carries on like that with you just ignore them back, they're not worth bothering about - or talking to.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Transwarp wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 16:31 @NightProwler
Regardless of their licence class, anybody carries on like that with you just ignore them back, they're not worth bothering about - or talking to.
Very true. I have recently started using 20M again, I love that band :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

NightProwler wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 18:10
Transwarp wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 16:31 @NightProwler
Very true. I have recently started using 20M again, I love that band :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Yes don't be put off by some of the attitudes around. I have heard that some of the G calls can get grumpy with M calls, but seriously that's a small core of people. So carry on and enjoy the hobby.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling