Wellbrook 1530 or ALA 100?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
island_state
Regular
Regular

Wellbrook 1530 or ALA 100?

Post by island_state »

Well, I have convinced myself to buy a wellbrook loop for HF listening.

Trouble is, not sure which one yet....

I have not read a bad review from the Wellbrook loops yet.

I'm tossed between the ALA1530 which is a 1 metre loop and also in a few different configs such as aluminum loop, semi flexible loop or slightly different model the LA5030 which is a bit smaller and marketed as an indoor loop.

OR

The ALA 100, which has the same electronics but two terminals instead of a loop, idea is you use a wire loop instead, kind of like a longwire but as a loop.

First option is good but I like the idea of being able to experiment with different sizes of loop.

My head says get the 1530 then I know at least it works, but my heart is telling me to get the ALA 100, because half the fun is experimenting!

FYI, my main interest are in Navtex around 490/518Khz and Kinross at 5.680

I wonder if I got the ALA 100 and made a loop around 1m in diameter, would it be the same as a 1530? Then at least I'd know that I could have the best of both.

Dilemma... Thanks for any suggestions!
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: Wellbrook 1530 or ALA 100?

Post by grafter »

I can't give any advice on which one to get as I've not tried the 100 but I use my 1530 for monitoring both navtex and Kinloss as well as 2182Khz marine and can confirm it works very well indeed, the low noise has to be heard to be believed after using a long wire.
island_state
Regular
Regular

RE: Wellbrook 1530 or ALA 100?

Post by island_state »

Thanks, thats good to know as those are my main interests!

Using a long wire at the moment and the noise makes listening a struggle!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I've recently added a review of my own ALA1530 to my site at www.freewebs.com/g1hbe

Use the menu on the left to select 'Wellbrook loop'

Very :D

The site has been very slow for the last couple of days, so you might have to be patient.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
island_state
Regular
Regular

Post by island_state »

I think I came across your page when doing some research earlier! Like everything I've read about them, it's a positive review, I like the spectrum analyser plots!

I already ordered a 1530 earlier in the week, looking forward to it arriving! Have ordered the polythene version as I could squeeze it up into the loft, as well as having it outside. When it comes I think I'll try it indoors for a bit as I need to work out where to site it outside and make up some cable etc. I'm going to lay off ordering cable until it comes.