President Richard - Ranger version

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: President Richard - Ranger version

Post by Stronty »

That was dual crystal at one point, The crystal and all components removed and extra bands added with diodes, Better than switching a crystal but a tad messy.
Hi Nick,

Yep, I was coming to that conclusion myself as I could see that the cans and components were removed as on the other pics from the Ranger Richards these were solder blanked.

Also noted is the additional white plug on the channel selector board, all those wires are not connected to anything other than themselves Red & Yellow wire bonded, green & Black bonded but Orange & Brown free.

So I assume on the 2 crystal version this white plug served a purpose?

Now, I'm wondering since it looks like a donor board whether I should turn to stock 3 band or go for a 6 band as the board was originally.

Decisions decisions!!!!
Channel 1.jpg
Loose wires:
loose wires.jpg
channel select 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Can't help but love an Adams.

Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

I also note on the Richard EPT360011z solder side there are additional components and a shield. These are missing on this one.

Is this potentially because the board with a 2 crystal config did not require these additions I wonder?

Think this is Otters Silver EPT360011z courtsey of Claude,

Better view of this one:
SS1.jpg
SS2.jpg

I also noted that the red seal on the board screw's have been broken, so think its a donor board, correct for the radio in respect of the EPT360011Z but could probably do with a tidy up and alignment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

The diode cap and resisitor is something to do with the rx from memory which in the franklin i saw the mod in made it deaf.
Didnt look into it but when removed it behaved like it should on receive.
It was a while back mind.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

I've not seen a silver PB010AC. Silver PB101AB is definitely a thing, and it is a sticker over a SS360 FM front. I have a couple of them.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Stronty wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 09:10
That was dual crystal at one point, The crystal and all components removed and extra bands added with diodes, Better than switching a crystal but a tad messy.
Hi Nick,

Yep, I was coming to that conclusion myself as I could see that the cans and components were removed as on the other pics from the Ranger Richards these were solder blanked.

Also noted is the additional white plug on the channel selector board, all those wires are not connected to anything other than themselves Red & Yellow wire bonded, green & Black bonded but Orange & Brown free.

So I assume on the 2 crystal version this white plug served a purpose?

Now, I'm wondering since it looks like a donor board whether I should turn to stock 3 band or go for a 6 band as the board was originally.

Decisions decisions!!!!

Channel 1.jpg

Loose wires:
loose wires.jpg

channel select 2.jpg
I dont know exact numbers too many too keep up, And calling 3900 is easier, But that 3900 with the single final trace were in my opinion the better of them, I found they didnt drift as much as the later versions, The resistor/diode/cap on the top i believe was to do with the RX and ive seen many with and with it removed and ive never really noticed any difference.

With those diodes on the top it should be 5 band now ? But i imagine the crystal has been replaced possibly to a 14.010, I dont think It originally had a 14.010 like the later models, If you want to put it to 3 band [L.M.H] then you may have to replace the crystal as well as removing the diodes you will probably be left with 25.615 to 27.405, I am only guessing though as i dont know the band coverage.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

I dont know exact numbers too many too keep up, And calling 3900 is easier, But that 3900 with the single final trace were in my opinion the better of them, I found they didnt drift as much as the later versions, The resistor/diode/cap on the top i believe was to do with the RX and ive seen many with and with it removed and ive never really noticed any difference.

With those diodes on the top it should be 5 band now ? But i imagine the crystal has been replaced possibly to a 14.010, I dont think It originally had a 14.010 like the later models, If you want to put it to 3 band [L.M.H] then you may have to replace the crystal as well as removing the diodes you will probably be left with 25.615 to 27.405, I am only guessing though as i dont know the band coverage.
Thanks for clearing up the diode/cap/resistor mod on the solder side, @cubwolf and @nick.

The crystal at the front of the radio is 14.460. It is a 5 band and has a 5 band switch. Coverage is 26.065 to 28.305 MHz.

Other crystals are 10.6975 & 10.240.

Thanks again everyone for providing the info to date.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Don't understand why someone would remove all those components and make it a 5 band with the matrix. Unless they needed the parts for something else. I have the same pcb on my 87 3900 with both crystals. One of the best radios I have. I recapped it , and hopefully it'll keep going for another 30 years.

I don't know what I'd do with yours Dougie. If you can find all the parts then I'd put it back to 6 bands , fitting a 6 way switch at the same time. Pity it's been so badly butchered.

S
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Before EPT300011Z

SRT-3600-10

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Don't understand why someone would remove all those components and make it a 5 band with the matrix. Unless they needed the parts for something else. I have the same pcb on my 87 3900 with both crystals. One of the best radios I have. I recapped it , and hopefully it'll keep going for another 30 years.

I don't know what I'd do with yours Dougie. If you can find all the parts then I'd put it back to 6 bands , fitting a 6 way switch at the same time. Pity it's been so badly butchered.

Yeah! its a bit of an odd one, It's probably beyond my skill to sort out other than it seems to work fine as it is, though not given it a thorough going over as most of my kit is in storage.

I'll speak to Nick and consider options if he's up for it, not had a new to me radio in a long time.

Thinking out loud, I'm tempted with the 6 band idea but as you say would need a donor radio potentially, otherwise the simple 3 band and git rid of the diode matrix.

Would one of the boards that I have read the Nick and others do replace the diode matrix, just thinking out loud!

I can't seem to find what the white plug on the channel selector did? as I say 4 of the 6 wires are linked, was that to power a frequency counter as seen on some models using the EPT360011Z?

I know the radio is not a true Richard at least but heyho life goes on...

Thanks for the input Paul.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I'm not sure what white plug you're talking about Dougie. I'll need to reread the thread on the PC.Some of your wires will be related to the HI/LO switch on that radio. The band switch was only 3 way , and the hi/lo did the crystal switching. I presume that's not in use now , now that you have a 5 way fitted.

Anyway. I can tell you now it'll be a bit of work to put it back. I may have most of the passive components on a scrap radio. I'm not sure about the Xtal. Problem now is that I won't be able to check till December. You can let me know anyway.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Hello

Before EPT300011Z

SRT-3600-10
Merci @Claude I have been researching this and seen that on another thread.
I'm not sure what white plug you're talking about Dougie. I'll need to reread the thread on the PC.Some of your wires will be related to the HI/LO switch on that radio. The band switch was only 3 way , and the hi/lo did the crystal switching. I presume that's not in use now , now that you have a 5 way fitted.

Anyway. I can tell you now it'll be a bit of work to put it back. I may have most of the passive components on a scrap radio. I'm not sure about the Xtal. Problem now is that I won't be able to check till December. You can let me know anyway.
Here are some better pics of the White plug on the channel selector board etc. The Hi/Lo switch this board/Radio came from is a good shout. On the 2 crystal variants i don't see that white plug on the Channel Selector though {bnghd}
White plug 1.jpg
White plug 2.jpg
White plug 3.jpg

Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

As a side note and after reading some good threads from Paul, Claude and others. This Radio (let's loosely call it a Richard) has a beep on the CH19 switch.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35318&start=15 thread talks about Paul finding his Beep!
ROGER-BEEP Franklin.jpg

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I'm pretty sure that selector isn't original . It's off a later version EPT radio . That white plug usually goes to the CH9 switch .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

On PCB EPT360011Z this board with this connector does not exist at the origin

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Paul is right

Poster par cb4ever104 » 13 octobre 2019, 20:59

Je suis à peu près sûr que ce sélecteur n'est pas original. Il est éteint une version ultérieure radio EPT. Cette fiche blanche va généralement au commutateur CH9.

In this photo I had reversed the CH9 and 40ch-240ch band switch on the front

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO