Problem with President Lincoln-please help

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Re: Problem with President Lincoln-please help

Post by KlondikeMike »

ch25 wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 17:39... When your car broke you just replace half of the car or diagnose failure first?
I agree with you ... if I was trouble-shooting a $50,000 car.

Not everyone is a smart as you (including me) and do not have the diagnosis capability or equipment to find the exact failed component in short order. Repeatedly. There will be another failed electrolytic just around the corner. Why only replace one failed capacitor? They are all past their expected lifetime and should be replaced.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

I admire you. Without having equipment on the desk, diagnosis, measurement you know that all capacitor need to be replaced.
Do you know lottery numbers too?
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

ch25 wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 22:05 I admire you. Without having equipment on the desk, diagnosis, measurement you know that all capacitor need to be replaced.
Do you know lottery numbers too?
Chris
Now now lemmy no need for cheek
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
cro328
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: pw561

Post by cro328 »

When it turns on, it is always at the last frequency I used.
I totally agree with Chris, I wouldn’t change everything, but I would like to find fault.
I'll do the measurement as soon as I have time. I'm very busy with the job, but I make sure to report the result.
I know the easiest thing to do is replace the electrolyte, and what if it doesn't work well after the replacement.

Regards,Wally
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

cro328 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:47 and what if it doesn't work well after the replacement.
Then you'll know it isn't an electrolytic. I agree that more testing and diagnostics are required. These types of intermittent faults can be a pain. Send it to a professional if you don't have time to do it yourself.

S
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

cro328 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:47 When it turns on, it is always at the last frequency I used.
Well, it's not the memory capacitor (1000uF 6.3V) on the CPU board then.

It's not likely to be any of the capacitors on the main board, although it you replace the 10V ones for the same capacity but a higher voltage, and you do it correctly, you will almost certainly save yourself problems in the future.

I would start with replacing C392 on the CPU board, as it is part of the reset circuit. C394 is another possible.

If your description of the fault is wrong, and it does Tx and Rx before the display comes up, replace C501 and C503 on the display PCB, and you might as well do C502 as well while you're there. I've had problems with them before, with display not coming up, but from the schematic I can't see how that happened.

Alternatively, send it to Black Spirit (Nick) and he'll sort it out for you.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

remove all the glue and caps marked
check for bad traces
check the parts before you refit
seen this many many times esp under the regs and the blue cap traces been eaten away

if the radio does tx and rx with a blank screen forget looking on mainboard just pull the inter connections and refit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
cro328
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: pw561

Post by cro328 »

Thanks to the whole group who helped me solve the problem. Thank you for; Sammy ,Chris ,307 Chris ,the collector ,KlondikeMike ,26TM439 and Buick Mackane. I changed one 0.1uf 50v capacitor near IC313. I don't know the tag because it doesn't write on the board. I realized that my CPU board is not bord of lincoln but is the same as uniden 2830. After replacement, my president Lincoln immediately switches on.
Regards and sorry for my bad English.
cpu.jpg
Wally
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Glad you got it fixed , and thanks for sharing the details .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

love a happy ending.......brings a tear to my eye
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

KlondikeMike wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 15:33 ... Looks like a good time to order one of these, my electrolytic capacitor kit for this radio;
For those still looking, new link;
https://klondikemikescapkits.com/produc ... -kitdeluxe