K40 mount help

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

K40 mount help

Post by original45 »

Bought a old original k40 today. It apparently had the boot lip fitment and not mag mount base I had decades ago.

So I get home to realise it's not even complete for the boot lip as the chrome piece and the actual u kind of bracket are both missing.

Basically I have the whip the and top piece and the lower black plastic part the top couples on too.

Both u bracket and chrome lower piece missing.
I have a old mag mount base sirio style and I have been racking my brains to try think how if I could fit the lower black piece to it somehow.

I don't think it would be v cost effective to try buy new replacements to mag base it unless I can find a complete mag base used or sale eventually .
If anyone has mounted such to a mag base or may have a idea how yo modify with what I have I'd appreciate the thoughts or info.
That will teach me to impulse buy .

Thanks
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: K40 mount help

Post by 108EH002 »

Give Knights a phone as you never know,maybe have the bits you need ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

108EH002 wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 20:31 Give Knights a phone as you never know,maybe have the bits you need ;)
I will make a few calls as I have found online you can buy the mag base complete however it still is missing the mounting that forms part of the chrome swivel part.
I think it will make it a UN economical repair if I'm honest.
But as a last resort.

I have saved a few Google searches in case a complete mag base comes up used also ,May be a consideration.
Will try all the same , be nice to keep it original but if I can utilise it on a diff mag base that would be fine too.

Thank you
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

You may be able to use a magmountcwith a taller centre profile so you can fit bolts, washers etc to hold the plastic dome in place.

This is my Tagra t40 base which is similar, but not identical to the K40's:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you gents have been contacted re a mounting bracket for the antenna.
So I now will have the missing rotation mount chrome.

Just need a mag base now to compliment it or as suggested utilise bolt washers so on on a talker mag base maybe.I think though a correct mag base would be better.
Loved my k40 back in the day.

Be nice to compare it to sirios so on once together

Getting somewhere.
Thank you all
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It should give a decent signal, but shouldn't be as good as a Sirio 4000/5000 unless something's not set up right.

I had a really old one (about 1979 with the lettering completely worn off)) that did the job back then for a year or two and I only sold it a few years back. I never fully trusted the mount though as it seemed to want to twist off too easily (big thin 1/2 mm firm rubber washer helped).
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

I suspected that it wouldn't perform quite as good as the sirio.I have a 3000/4000 and a 5' f stick 2 that I would like to test the k40 against .

I'm amazed this k40 has the original pl plug too with unmarked coax .
But yes I remember mine back I the day being of a easy twist off.
If this one is I will use the rubber washer trick.

I still kept a kick out of buying equipment that needs TLC ,cosmetically I love it but I'm not at all great with radio guts

It was nice to meet the original owner I bought it off too ,hearing his stories from the radio era .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I found them to be a bit "whippy" as they use a parallel whip and not a tapered one like my t40. It used to bounce around a lot more than later aerials I used because of this and others would say my signal used to go up and down from 30+ to 5 whilst whizzing around rat runs.
It was more stable signal-wise at a constant speed on motorways etc.