Display bulb cover for 2830

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Re: Display bulb cover for 2830

Post by KlondikeMike »

The Collector wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 09:30 Have you got a picture of the LED strip in place KM?
It might help others decide to do it that way if it's not too much hassle.
OK, here goes. Disclaimer: The images you are about to see may be disturbing to some viewers, Please be advised.

The display unit must be removed to work on freely. You will not be able to do this work safely with the display module in the unit. While you have the unit out, you may as well replace the 3 electrolytics that are on-board.

As a hot knife tool I used a length of 8 gauge copper wire in a 140w "Weller" type soldering gun. The fumes generated whilst the melting process is going on is excessive and work should be done in a well ventilated work-space.

I have multiple parts radio's so this is my first attempt on a donor part. I did not bring out the calipers or any digital measuring tools to mark the target. I just marked the edges and burned away plastic housing until the space was created. I cleaned up the edges as best I could but did not want to spend to much time "perfecting" my work and damaging the housing any further.

The display has been powered up on the test bench and looks good. I will be installing it into a working HR2510 that I previously had installed a single LED (and was disappointed with the results) shortly.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Would "Dremmelling" it be an easier/neater option, or do you think the dust generated would be able to get into the display?
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 23:09 Would "Dremmelling" it be an easier/neater option, or do you think the dust generated would be able to get into the display?
The white plastic cover is easily removable from the screen PCB. It's held in place with one screw and one positioning lug. Any work can then be done away from any sensitive components. Just remember to clean the cover well prior to refitting it. You don't want dust or debris showing up on the display and then having to dismantle the whole thing again.

I'd agree with using a small rotary cutting tool. Much safer and a considerably tidier appearance. Alternatively (and the method I'd prefer) would be to insert the LED strip from the front of the plastic housing while it's removed, then feed the supply wire out through the existing bulb holder hole. The LED strip will find its resting point inside the holder as it's fed toward the narrower rear of the unit. A touch of hot glue or superglue would be enough to hold it in place. No cutting, no melting, no mess and this latter method would enable you to return the display back to stock should the need arise.

Parts for the Lincoln's etc are pretty scarce these days so I'd never consider using the method KlondikeMike has detailed above.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
KlondikeMike

Post by KlondikeMike »

astradyne wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 12:38 I'd agree with using a small rotary cutting tool. Much safer and a considerably tidier appearance. Alternatively (and the method I'd prefer) would be to insert the LED strip from the front of the plastic housing while it's removed, then feed the supply wire out through the existing bulb holder hole. The LED strip will find its resting point inside the holder as it's fed toward the narrower rear of the unit. A touch of hot glue or superglue would be enough to hold it in place. No cutting, no melting, no mess and this latter method would enable you to return the display back to stock should the need arise.
I agree that a tidier appearance would be beneficial. When you burn things, it gets a little messy. This is where the Dremel tool can come into play. It can be used to clean up the edges. Using the tool to cut a narrow notch as I have would prove to be difficult. I would have concerns about cracking and bits flying off that I don't want to fly off. Maybe masking would alleviate, I do not know. As the saying goes "Like a hot knife through butter". You could use a Dremel tool on that butter but which is the better tool for the job?

The idea of inserting the strip from the front is plausible but does come with issues. A "resting" point comes with the strip being bent in a concave manner and the lighting not being distributed evenly. The power wires would be better fed off through a side cut hole. Securing the strip with some hot melt glue "may" work. Issues of the glue not securing to the housing or the strip would have to be experimented with. If one wanted to replace a strip mounted like this (to put in another color or replace defective), one would have to go through a complete disassembly to get to the strip. All of this to protect the sanctity of "the housing".

Whereas, a installation of the strip in the manner shown would allow for easier removal in the future. My method being crude but effective. This is my first attempt at getting this strip installed and there is always need for improvement. The strip slides into the notch and is secured in a flat manner by the edges of the housing. Light is dispersed evenly on the front panel. The strip can be easily removed in the future. Once the housing gets its edges cleaned up with the Dremel and installed back in the radio, one has to look hard to see what little is exposed under the front bezel and wires to see any of the housing. For the purists, this type of work is cringe-worthy and one could still install the original wheat lamp if desired. I am not concerned about keeping everything stock and original with "matching serial numbers" sort of thing. I look to improve upon by using modern technologies in vintage gear.

I posted my work expecting feedback and you gave me things to think about. I appreciate that. In this case, I will remove the rough edges and get a tidier appearance. I have another strip to install. I will use my hot-knife method and notch out the housing. With the covers back on and looking at the radio from an operators view, the LED strip looks great. When I'm done with this first strip installation, I'll post photos to confirm.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

That plastic piece looks like the sort of thing that could possibly be replicated by someone with a 3D printer and the associated know-how, so that it could have a groove designed in ready to accept an LED strip.
KlondikeMike

Post by KlondikeMike »

The Collector wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 22:04 That plastic piece looks like the sort of thing that could possibly be replicated by someone with a 3D printer and the associated know-how, so that it could have a groove designed in ready to accept an LED strip.
Great idea! I'll look into it.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Get them on sale with the LED strip included and you might make a few quid here and there ;)
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

Once again many thanks to Alexthegasman for all your help and for the bulb covers,much appreciated. Also thanks to everyone else who's input has been use full.Would like to see the finished project with the led strip
KlondikeMike

Post by KlondikeMike »

I cleaned up the housing with a Dremel wheel. Cleaned up well. I installed the strip and added a little hot melt glue. Looks good. I will install completed assy. into the radio this week and post final results.

Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

What did it look like? Bright?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

He can't tell you, it was soooo bright it burnt his retinas out and he can't read TM1 stuff any more ;)

Those smd thingy LEDs can be bloomin' bright. Just the little one in my torch (with a reflector) lights up the whole field where I walk our dogs early in the morning.
KlondikeMike

Post by KlondikeMike »

The LED light panel looks great. You'll have to take my word for it because camera's are not able to re-produce what we can see. I've taken a couple photo's but they do not convey the true experience.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

As you have that slot, you could always put a coloured clear film between the LEDs and the screen to change the display colour to your own preference, or simply to tone down the brightness using a smoked/tinted film if it was say a bit too bright in an unlit shack ;)
KlondikeMike

Post by KlondikeMike »

The Collector wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 20:01As you have that slot, you could always put a coloured clear film between the LEDs and the screen to change the display colour to your own preference, or simply to tone down the brightness using a smoked/tinted film if it was say a bit too bright in an unlit shack ;)
These are good idea's. The "Dimmer" on the Linclon actually works with this panel and does lessen the brightness of the LED light. I took another photo with another older camera using Black + White mode and with the "dimmer" button on.

BTW, I looked into getting the housing 3D printed and the costs would probably be around $200USD to start getting it scanned. I'll revisit this in the future when costs should be lower.