Meter scale.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Re: Meter scale.

Post by sureshot »

MrWeetabix wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:04
ch25 wrote: 10 May 2018, 11:59
MrWeetabix wrote: 10 May 2018, 09:06On a budget, a cheap meter is still better than no meter.
Sure. Useful when you need to check if you still have an antenna without looking through the window. Nothing else.
Chris
again, in this instance, his cheap 'junk' meter is reading the same as another meter and the meter in his radio.... so I'd say that whilst you may regard it as junk, it's giving a decent indication of SWR. You can't argue with facts.
I've worked it out now, its seems to be accurate enough for the moment. Thanks for the advise and help guys.
CB call. Shipwreck.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Meter scale.

Post by ch25 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:04again, in this instance, his cheap 'junk' meter is reading the same as another meter and the meter in his radio.... so I'd say that whilst you may regard it as junk, it's giving a decent indication of SWR. You can't argue with facts.
The same reading does not prove anything Craig :) Facts are that I measured dozens of cheap cb swr meters and none of them showed the truth. You only guess that it is decent reading.
EOT for me. I can not show you how bad it is, but if someone is willing to check it by themself, take 100 Ohm non inductive resistor wattage high enough to handle transmitted power, plug instead of antenna and measure swr. It must show 2.0. Meter we talk here will show 1.4-1.6 what disqualifies it to use.
A few years ago we did a check in one of local CB shop and none of meters they had worked properly. That give a picture of what you can expect buying stuff like that. Wasted money.
Expensive meters can be junk too, 3rd Daiwa 801HP I bought was showing as it should. 2 previous I had to return to seller, because It was impossible even to calibrate them by internal pots.
So, try before buy.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...