SIRIO VECTOR 4000 ANY GOOD ???

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

SIRIO VECTOR 4000 ANY GOOD ???

Post by WARLOCK »

Is the sirio Vector 4000 antenna a good antenna ? i have been told that they work very well but are not very strong any thoughts on this ,If this is so can they be made stronger
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Re: SIRIO VECTOR 4000 ANY GOOD ???

Post by NightProwler »

I had one up a while back and yes it was a very very good antenna and probably the best I have used but I did find it a little narrow banded. Build quality was ok but nothing like the original Sigma 4. The only issue I had was it's size, My neighbours hated it too. So if you hate your neighbours then buy one and stick it on the chimney :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The original Vector was 7/8th wave IIRC. The newer ones are 3/4 wave. Either way, they need guy ropes/cables or they'll bend badly or snap.
Otherwise, if it's mounted on a long slightly flexible alloy pole rather than a steel scoffolding pole, that'll take some of the strain off the aerial itself...a bit like a shock absorbing effect.
davev8
Regular
Regular

Post by davev8 »

i will have on in the summer ..i will change the screws for jubilee clips to hold the sections together ..for 2 reasons.. A i think they are better B i don't want anything in the way of a fiberglass fishing pole i want to stick up inside for reinforcement
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Good idea regarding the pole. Hopefully it won't add too much weight and will stop it swaying as much.
It might pay to double-up on the jubilee clips as I used to see plenty of silver rods that had slid down a section back in the day using only that method ;)
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

i put mine up over 3 years ago and its still up... its on a 20 foot ally pole thats ground mounted so it flexes from the floor.

i threw it together just to test it 3 years back and never took it down.

buy one!
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

The Collector wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 11:44 Good idea regarding the pole. Hopefully it won't add too much weight and will stop it swaying as much.
It might pay to double-up on the jubilee clips as I used to see plenty of silver rods that had slid down a section back in the day using only that method ;)
Plenty Insulation/amalg tape on each join,should stop most Cb verticals becoming loose/slack,being either ali or fibreglass sections with lots of joins needing made better than how the manufacturer says so in the instructions imo.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

There are better vertical antennas available in my opinion, they can be a pig to SWR and it is said that they work better at around six feet off the ground.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

Tim wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 09:33 There are better vertical antennas available in my opinion, they can be a pig to SWR and it is said that they work better at around six feet off the ground.
better in what way and which antenna out perform a v4000?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I think the Vector 4000 is a great antenna performance wise, but for me at least I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

Too flimsy and to those not into radio they are a bit of an eye sore.

Something like a Gainmaster, 827 or even an Imax will perform almost as well, and be a lot easier to live with. Not to mention less stressful when it is windy...
Last edited by Mudslinger on 24 Dec 2017, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

sec1223 wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 10:33
Tim wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 09:33 There are better vertical antennas available in my opinion, they can be a pig to SWR and it is said that they work better at around six feet off the ground.
better in what way and which antenna out perform a v4000?
The best antenna is a simple one, it all depends on your situation, what you can afford, what space you have and your location. People bang on about db gain of one type over another, that's all subjective and not a science. Some people will get a better performance from a home made 1/4 wave or even a simple wire inverted V that cost virtually nothing but the price of a length of coax and a couple of connectors as opposed to a manufactured antenna that may or may not work for you at £100 +.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Same rule as mobile aerials really, bigger is usually better as a rule, performance-wise.

However, reliability/build quality and good coax with sealed-up everything is almost as important, otherwise you'll be up and down those ladders so much your legs will ache.

That's why I always recommend a DV on a biscuit tin in the loft ;)
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

My main antenna is a modified 1/2 wave vertical which is not taped up in any way or form on the section joints or connection points, yes, it will get a bit of moisture ingress but it allows it to breath and dry out. The very nature of metal getting hot and cold will with hollow tubing, condensate inside anyway so if you have it all taped and sealed up that condensation cannot escape and you end up with a water filled antenna that corrodes and breaks down quicker. The most important thing is to keep all the joints tight and not let them work loose, that's where most problems occur in my experience.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

just had huge winds and the v4000 is still up and not bent.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

You can buy tablets for that from the chemists. Probably too many sprouts over Christmas ;)