What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2017)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2017)

Post by Crusader »

Kenwood TS-770E Dual band multi-mode,given to me by a good friend last weekend as he threw it in for free when i bought x2 other radio's off him,he said he got it from a sale a few months ago but was untested as he had no power lead for it.

Today i made a home brew 240v mains lead for it & connected it up & it came to life! :D
full rx & tx & nice to listen to :D

It also looks a lot better after i cleaned it up as the controls were grimy & the front panel was also mucky,makes me wonder what some of these radio amateurs houses must look like on the inside :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Post by Checkpointcharlie »

Crusader wrote:Kenwood TS-770E Dual band multi-mode,given to me by a good friend last weekend as he threw it in for free when i bought x2 other radio's off him,he said he got it from a sale a few months ago but was untested as he had no power lead for it.

Today i made a home brew 240v mains lead for it & connected it up & it came to life! :D
full rx & tx & nice to listen to :D

It also looks a lot better after i cleaned it up as the controls were grimy & the front panel was also mucky,makes me wonder what some of these radio amateurs houses must look like on the inside :lol:

Good stuff....Regards the comment about radio amateurs houses must look like well whats your house look like then :lol:
Broad sword calling Danny boy......
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

:lol: Our lass is OCD at cleaning and does my head in with it sometimes {bnghd} ,i would say it is near immaculate & we don't smoke either,no filthy slobs here pal ;).

But just for the record i meant some of these radio amateurs houses must be sh*t holes with the state of some of the radios i have come across over the years,i did not mean ALL radio amateurs must be like this but sometimes it does make you wonder just how many must live in hovels. :sick:

Ohh by the way,here is an abandoned radio amateur's house that my mate found in North Wales about 8 months ago...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpjkittdsw12d ... 3.mp4?dl=0
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Talking of filthy houses its time i got off my ass and done some house work, This is what happens when you spend to much time on here

I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like Father Jack has been there for a party ;)
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Just bought NOS GU78B as spare tube. On it's way from Russia.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Gigantic double output 300v HT / 6v LT power supply that stands me at just £20,not a home made job but one obviously built for military use.

Currently using it to power both the R1155 & the BC-348 receivers :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Crusader wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 13:32 :lol: Our lass is OCD at cleaning and does my head in with it sometimes {bnghd} ,i would say it is near immaculate & we don't smoke either,no filthy slobs here pal ;).

But just for the record i meant some of these radio amateurs houses must be sh*t holes with the state of some of the radios i have come across over the years,i did not mean ALL radio amateurs must be like this but sometimes it does make you wonder just how many must live in hovels. :sick:

Ohh by the way,here is an abandoned radio amateur's house that my mate found in North Wales about 8 months ago...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpjkittdsw12d ... 3.mp4?dl=0
Just watched the video and must admitt to feeling more saddened than anything that folk in Britain can live like that in this day and age, am sorry but surely someone living in this state has a few issues other than just lack of cleanliness ?!

On a lighter note that old realistic scanner was getting a good old second or third look over by your mate, doesn't say much for them when he left empty handed :lol:

Kept waitting on the video panning to a room where everything was pristine and a shiny new 5k HF set with matching linear was sitting on the desk.

Strangely enough had a chap in the house the other week who happened to notice my radio gear and mentioned that within his job he has to go into houses where council properties have been left empty for whatever reason, he mentioned that last year he went in one where there were loads off amateur radio gear just sitting there in a room, asked him what would happen to it and was informed that depending who was clearing the houses it would just be skipped.. did say he noticed that a few radios had the same wording as mine.. " yaesu " :o visions off mint ft1000mps etc being skipped has haunted me ever since !!!
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Hi John,you would be surprised at the amount of people that actually live in squalor,a lot are just bone idle slobs but the worst offenders are not normally those with mental health or from less financially well off circumstances,been to some proper smart houses (from the outside) in very nice neighbourhoods that i would'nt let an animal live inside them.

Yeah my mate would'nt take anything that did'nt belong to him,he loves exploring & going on derelict sites,he is a Big lad & has been chased off places a few times with shotguns but it does'nt phase him :lol:

There was also what looked to be another old radio under the stairs & what appeared to be an Eddystone receiver on the floor in front of that portable gas fire,he said that was other stuff in there & that there were antennas out the back that were broken.

That house has been empty for at least 10-12 yrs,all the roof leaking in etc,etc,i cant imagine there was a lot of much use or value there as by the looks of it a few people had been through that place,apparently it was sold a few months ago,no doubt everything got skipped.

I worked for the council for 8 years & did a few house clearances,no mint 1000MP's though :lol: normally just pure filth.

Best regards,Shaun.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Yep no probs Shaun appreciatte what you are saying , the chap who was telling me the story about the shack left in the council house also told me a few other stories including one where years worth off dirty nappies were tossed in the attic, he always examines the attic last in his checks purely because off the dust / dirt etc and knew there was a smell in the house, upon opening the loft hatch you can imagine his horror!!! Another home was so bad that he had to do his paperwork outside as the smell was so bad inside !!

Anyway as far as I know the above two examples were not from amateurs houses !!!

P.s no offence meant over your mate taking anything from the house was only joking , would want to deep clean anything that came out off that house before it came anywhere near my own house !!!!
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Thought i would treat myself to an early Xmas present,audio quality is outstanding :D

And yes i love the Big blue display,but no roger bleeps or echos fitted inside this baby ;)
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Recently acquired another Kenwood TS-850S

Needs a little bit of work but essentially working.
Picked this up for less than the price of a new SS 9900 and it has the optional ATU, narrow CW and SSB filters plus the voice module. :D
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Decided to invest in a valve tester as i needed one anyway,worked out cheaper for me to get this one from a private seller in the USA (including the postage etc) than pay the ridiculous prices similar models are going for here on ebay now.

Anyway hours of fun testing me valves ;)
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Another for the collection :)
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Just acquired one of these. Bears the name WM-2000 but also these bear the name Hoxin AV-908 and Avair AV-908. Operator manual covers all controls apart from the small buttons above the VU meter, there's no mention of their operation functions.