Euro CB Pacific IV mod for clarifer HELP

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Euro CB Pacific IV mod for clarifer HELP

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Good folks here and CB enthusiast alike I need some help and input on my newly obtained Euro CB Pacific 4 regarding the clarifer unlocking please!

I've tried locating the 4pin connectors but at this point it seems they must be added yourself. I really like this radio and it already has the channel mod done to it which seems to correspond to the diagram below but this clarifer mod has me puzzled for sure...

Seems this was released perhaps only in France from the looks of it and my reseaching. I would at least like the coarse clarifer unlocked for practical reasons and I am seeking some helpful insights on this !

Thanks in advance and look forward to some kind help, Retro Dude (James)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Euro CB Pacific IV mod for clarifer HELP

Post by normal »

more pictures

It appears to be the same board as the Zodiac Consul. The Consul has a single clarifier knob with a clarifier-off setting when fully anticlockwise.

The Consul schematic clarifier section thus appears to not be exactly the same as the pacific IV, it may give you some hints though.

If I'm reading it correctly, the Consul schematic shows the clarifier control VR7 produces a variable voltage that goes to varicap diodes connected to both the 36MHZ and 10.24MHz crystal oscillators, not sure why both.

My guess is that you need to trace where the positive ends and the clarifier potentiometers go and draw out that bit of the circuit. I suspect that there are some diodes connected to tx/rx switching voltages so that current goes through either two fixed resistors or the course clarifier.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello Jim

Some pics Euro CB Pacific IV

@+
Claude
Last edited by 14CS06 on 13 Apr 2018, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

My Spanish is better than my French , but the diagram seems to says to reconnect the 4 pin connector found at the front left of the radio . Looks as if you might have to turn the the original connector upside down and reconnect it ?

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

There seem to be two models of PCB

Jim should display the images of his PCB

Other PCB

@+
Claude
Last edited by 14CS06 on 13 Apr 2018, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Gentleman I need the schematics for my Euro CB Pacific IV if there is any real hope in unlocking at least the coarse clarifer unless someone has specific notes on a confirmed method to do it please contact me ASAP... But mine has the PCB SSB145106 !
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Yeah guys my version is the colored pictured one from above ! Sorry for the late reply lmao but life happens.,... I still am wondering about this, and since have 2 of the same radio, yeah go figure lol... Perplexing indeed still, sooooooooooooooooo ANYONE since have addional info or can help ? ? ?

73's, Retro
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Never seen one, but most radios have exactly the same technique for clarifier unlocking.

How comfortable are you with electronics, and do you have the basic gear needed (multimeter at a bare minimum, frequency counter is nice though).

I'd normally leave advice on radios only seen on the other side of the world from where we are to someone familiar with that model, but seeming as nobody's replied for 18 months I'll try and help out. But - you'll need to to trace out a couple of components and make notes as you go, it won't be a "cut the orange wire and join it to the green one" type of explanation...
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Thanks lbcomms, Yeah I'd appriciate any help. I'm gonna contact via PM next.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

14CS06 wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 11:57 Hello James

James should display the images of his PCB

Other PCB

@+
Claude
Hello James

James please should display the images of your PCB

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Okay Claude and Sue, Here is the inside of mine ! Tried to do this with my phone first but said the files were too BIG lmao.

Here ya go so let's start here, Retro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello James

Only possible if this connector exists but not visible in your PCB

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Don't worry about the connectors, the wiring to those can change during the production life and getting changes wrong can create expensive smoke.

First up, you'll need a soldering iron, a short length of thin wire (30cm will be plenty), and a basic multimeter that can measure up to 12 volts.

If you can do that, take a detailed picture of the area outlined in red below:

Move any wires out the way to get a good shot of the main circuit board.
The big IC (at the top-right of the above area) needs to have its part number visible.

Also include any numbers written on the crystal (the grey component centre of above red enclosed area) next to the trimpot.

Last, is the clarifier a single or dual control, and what color wires (usually there are three) go to that control.

Once we have that info, I'll get you to:

- take one voltage measurement
- remove one component
- remove one wire
- add one wire

I'll explain those 4 steps in detail once you have replied with the picture, the numbers on the component, and the wire colors.

You should then have an unlocked radio by the end of the week...
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Please look at this schematic for EURO CB PACIFIC 40 same as EURO CB PACIFIC IV

PLL MC145106P + SY2464

Also COBRA 148GTL

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

if you get me a good clear schematic m8 i will draw up a service manual for your tech to follow

all the vr's the sinth offsets ect

i edited the pic with a basic unlock that will alow both the fine and coarse to track tx and rx

if "slide" is not enough i will give the info for that

i am shocked 2 techs you sent the radio to cant unlock this clarifier as any tech could do this with no circuit diagram as this is real basic stuff.

remove the rx voltage and isolate the tx voltage and apply a constant voltage

note: to get the equal amounts of slide and everythng centered some brains are required lol
Last edited by dt307 on 15 Jan 2019, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein