Anyone help with this ?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Classic

Anyone help with this ?

Post by Classic »

I have just installed a new irf520 transistor. When i key up the power starts to drop as the transistor heats i mean like with in 20 seconds it goes from 15 watts to under 10 watts is that normal ?
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Anyone help with this ?

Post by listner132 »

What radio have you fitted the 520 in too ?
Classic

Post by Classic »

listner132 wrote:What radio have you fitted the 520 in too ?
Hi it's in a amp rm 35
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

How much power are you putting into the amp ?, It must be kept below 4w, Also the Mosfet will burn up quickly if the gate voltage is too high [over 4v].
Classic

Post by Classic »

Black Spirit wrote:How much power are you putting into the amp ?, It must be kept below 4w, Also the Mosfet will burn up quickly if the gate voltage is too high [over 4v].
3 watts i've even tried 0.5 watts and it still does the same thing.
Classic

Post by Classic »

Black Spirit wrote: Also the Mosfet will burn up quickly if the gate voltage is too high [over 4v].
In transmit ?
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Classic wrote:
Black Spirit wrote: Also the Mosfet will burn up quickly if the gate voltage is too high [over 4v].
In transmit ?
Yes
bigal68
Call Sign: 26fb806

Post by bigal68 »

Nick's bang on.... gate voltage is critical on mosfets, as is keeping it stable....
Alan 26FB806
----------------------
27.385 LSB, 27.555 USB, 27.78125 FM

Use it or lose it!!!!
Classic

Post by Classic »

Black Spirit wrote:
Classic wrote:
In transmit ?
Yes
Tested and the meter goes off the scale. Also when i tried the amp on a switch mode psu as soon asi keyed up it blow up. Now that has haqppened 2 times. It don't happen on the old psu which isn't a switch mode.
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

Do you have a schematic for the amplifier?
What was the original transistor - is this a "mod"?
Why an IRF520? They are notoriously unstable for RF applications above 7MHz.
Classic

Post by Classic »

2E1IIP wrote:Do you have a schematic for the amplifier?
What was the original transistor - is this a "mod"?
Why an IRF520? They are notoriously unstable for RF applications above 7MHz.
I was told i could use it in this amp no problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

Ok thanks I will look over it, but at a glance the gate voltage should never exceed 20V as it clamped with a zenner.
Classic

Post by Classic »

2E1IIP wrote:Ok thanks I will look over it, but at a glance the gate voltage should never exceed 20V as it clamped with a zenner.
So from the diagram is there anything i can change to get the gate voltage to 4 volts as black spirit recommended ?
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

Classic wrote:
2E1IIP wrote:Ok thanks I will look over it, but at a glance the gate voltage should never exceed 20V as it clamped with a zenner.
So from the diagram is there anything i can change to get the gate voltage to 4 volts as black spirit recommended ?
The MOSFET Gate is tolerant to +/-20V, the gate is clamped to a maximum of 20V with the zenner diode - I am not sure why it is failing - I would try a different device - is it genuine or a Chinese import?
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

Also check the gate voltage with a DVM and an FM carrier not exceeding 5W, check the diodes and the zenner diode to be sure.