AOR DV1

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: AOR DV1

Post by Metradio »

I have a 3A linear PSU that was sold for use with a CB on my AR-DV1, it has been adjusted down to 12.5Vdc to run the DV1 and a couple of low current but voltage sensitive items..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

stratocaster wrote:Thanks for the heads up Andy, I'll be sure to observe readings on my set. Pity I can't find a linear psu for the set! Switch modes are hellish! By the way Andy, is that Collins,Banks and Rutherford in your avatar?
Ha! Please tell me you're joking... It's me, Pete and Charlie. Taken in 1974 while out doing a MW broadcast. Happy days never to be repeated.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

I must get my eyes checked! Jeez, I was 3 back then! Scary how time flies! Now that mw broadcast sounds interesting!
Back onto the DV1, not been on it lately, but will keep a lookout.
You can never have enough radios!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Strat, if MW piracy is your thing, take a look at this bit of my website:

http://www.freewebs.com/g1hbe/aquarius.htm

My site won't be around much longer as I've stopped paying....
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Andy wrote:Strat, if MW piracy is your thing, take a look at this bit of my website:

http://www.freewebs.com/g1hbe/aquarius.htm

My site won't be around much longer as I've stopped paying....
Getting a bit off topic but the part on optical communications was really interesting.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Thanks r. I suppose we have drifted a bit OT.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Thanks Andy! I'll have a good look tonight when I'm home, my works one has filters set!
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Had a damn good read and listen. That really made me smile and laugh! The run-ins with the radio authority guys sounded hairy! Thanks for sharing Andy, I hope the guys are still around and you can recall happy times!
Superb!

Have you added more frequencies to your DV1? I will be doing so very soon!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Charlie and Pete are still alive and well. Pete lives in Southend and has just retired from Marconi Research. Bob recently suffered a stroke and so did Trevor. I still bump into Frank at radio rallies.
I haven't stuck any more freqs in memory yet, I start twiddling the vfo knob and can't stop. Most of the shopwatch stuff around here has gone to DMR, but Denton shopwatch has chosen NXDN.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

This thread dips on and off of topic, sorry, but off again, a very good friend of mine in the 70's was the head honcho of a pirate gang, they were MW guys on a Sunday lunchtime and they too recall almost identical yarns of yours with the PO vans chasing them etc, I had no direct involvement as pop music didn't float my boat, I just used to help out by providing them with replacement kit that the PO had confiscated, or they had lost or thrown in the river during a get away, and driving around town taking signal reports, anyway, the twist to the tale is that the guy went legit in 1980 and set up a local independent commercial station, then sold out to Heart (Gold) in the late 90's and as a result is now a millionaire thank you very much living somewhere in Spain in early retirement, I think he was about 43 when he retired.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Jeez! I thought Marconi was no longer in existence after GEC got broken up and mainly ended up as part of BAE!
See, some good comes from radio enterprising as demonstrated by Admiral's mate!
Glad to hear the gang are still around!
Back to the DV1. Still going strong and no problems to report so far. I still think an outdoor antenna would make a world of difference.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

An outdoor aerial ALWAYS makes a world of difference.

I came to this party late. I've never heard anyone talking about power supplies as if there is something magic about them? Also - why do you need to adjust the voltage. 13.8 has been a world wide standard for years now - and every radio has a wide range of acceptance - isn't the AOR pretty wide? Up to 16V or so I think?

Traditional transformer/rectifiers or switch mode designs? What's the problem with the AOR and power supplies? They have always died from time to time, but the switch mode designs are usually fail safe anyway. Have I missed some major problems with these radios. I've been dithering on an AOR or a Whistler for some time, and had started to shift towards the AOR - is this a bad move? I've got a few random PSUs laying around, and hadn't assumed I'd need to dig one out as there's a cheapo one in the box, isn't there?

I might have a secret plan to have the digital receiver on one of my aerials and then squirt it out on one of my PMR digital channels, so I can listen when out in my van.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Welcome, Paulears. My AR5000 cooked its analogue PSU after a few years, luckily it failed to 0v. After that I simply wired a DC lead to my main 12v shack PSU via an inline 1A fuse.
The PSU supplied with the DV1 is a horrible thing with a bolt-on 13 amp adaptor. Mine went very noisy after just a few weeks, splurging hash over all my other receivers. So I've turfed that one out now and I briefly used a nondescript 12 2A switch-mode unit but that was a bit noisy. So once again I'm back to powering from the main analogue PSU. I can recommend the DV1. I held back for a year or so as I kept reading about bugs and glitches, but the latest updates have sorted it out. It's a great little receiver but you'll need to put up with a steep learning curve. You'll also need some kind of preselector if you want to use it on MF or HF as it overloads.

Strat - Get an outdoor antenna sorted out, you won't believe the difference. I use a rotatable 5 ele yagi for the 450 MHz PMR band and I can hear stuff from Liverpool from here in the East of Manchester. For other bands I have a DAB folded dipole, a homebrew nest of dipoles (in the loft) and a wire diplole cut for the 50 MHz amateur band, also in the loft. Also outdoors I have a multi-ele yagi for the Wifi band, but these days most of the analogue CCTV has disappeared so I'm wondering what to stick up in its place. Never surrender!
Re Marconi, yup it went the way of all things many years ago and went through several hands. I lost track after the BAE days, so we still call it Marconi.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Andy wrote:Welcome, Paulears. My AR5000 cooked its analogue PSU after a few years, luckily it failed to 0v. After that I simply wired a DC lead to my main 12v shack PSU via an inline 1A fuse.
The PSU supplied with the DV1 is a horrible thing with a bolt-on 13 amp adaptor. Mine went very noisy after just a few weeks, splurging hash over all my other receivers. So I've turfed that one out now and I briefly used a nondescript 12v 2A switch-mode unit but that was a bit noisy. So once again I'm back to powering from the main analogue PSU. I can recommend the DV1. I held back for a year or so as I kept reading about bugs and glitches, but the latest updates have sorted it out. It's a great little receiver but you'll need to put up with a steep learning curve. You'll also need some kind of preselector if you want to use it on MF or HF as it overloads.

Strat - Get an outdoor antenna sorted out, you won't believe the difference. I use a rotatable 5 ele yagi for the 450 MHz PMR band and I can hear stuff from Liverpool from here in the East of Manchester. For other bands I have a DAB folded dipole, a homebrew nest of dipoles (in the loft) and a wire diplole cut for the 50 MHz amateur band, also in the loft. Also outdoors I have a multi-ele yagi for the Wifi band, but these days most of the analogue CCTV has disappeared so I'm wondering what to stick up in its place. Never surrender!
Re Marconi, yup it went the way of all things many years ago and went through several hands. I lost track after the BAE days, so we still call it Marconi.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

paulears wrote:.....I came to this party late. I've never heard anyone talking about power supplies as if there is something magic about them? Also - why do you need to adjust the voltage. 13.8 has been a world wide standard for years now - and every radio has a wide range of acceptance - isn't the AOR pretty wide? Up to 16V or so I think?....
Sorry, after rereading my comments I have added to the confusion:
metradio wrote:I have a 3A linear PSU that was sold for use with a CB on my AR-DV1, it has been adjusted down to 12.5Vdc to run the DV1 and a couple of low current but voltage sensitive items..
Rather than use the AOR supplied PSU I have an ex CB 3A PSU that has been adjusted down to 12.5Vdc, the PSU was adjusted down to run a couple of voltage sensitive items, now since the AR-DV1 has NO problem running at 12.5Vdc I found it ideal.. Hope that clears up my reasoning?

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.