DSD-S**t Sorry I mean DSD+

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: DSD-Shit Sorry I mean DSD+

Post by nay27uk »

Admiral wrote:It is very simple, output of radio (SDR# etc) to VB input, VB output to puter speakers.
Thanks admiral but "NO" it is not that simple.

In windows the Input for VB Cable is in the PLAYBACK Devices list.
It's Output is in the RECORDING Devices list.

Here is how I believe it should work.

SDR# Feeds to the INPUT of the VB Cable, into DSD+, DSD+ then does its thing and decodes the sample, The sample is then fed into the OUTPUT of the VB Cable, VB cable Output then feeds the computer speakers (in the Playback devices) with the output of the DSD+

Surely I aint the only one to notice that both the VB Cable Outputs and Inputs are the wrong way round

Picture 1
input.png
Picture 2
Output.png
Picture 1 should say Cable Input.
Picture 2 should say Cable Output.

I aint saying that you are wrong and I apreciate the help but I have been building computers since the mid 1990's and an input is an input and an output an output.

Your TV Antenna is the TV's Input and the TV's output is the picture you get on the screen for having the correct Input.

Your Computer Microphone when using SKYPE is the Input for your Voice, the OUTPUT is the person on the other end hearing you through your MICROPHONE or your INPUT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I'm not bothered if you say I'm wrong, mine works and yours doesn't.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

mickydt wrote:make sure vb cable is set as the default recording device in windows audio properties and default communication device.

in sdrsharp the audio input is the dongle you are using and the audio output is the vb cable don't worry that there is no sound.

next you need to use the command prompt depending on which dsd you are using. which is the windows built in one not dsd to do some coding.

it is fairly easy to follow using below - it will launch dsd+ and also start dsd+ decoding. if things go right don't forget to use the # keys to decode dmr -

Open a command prompt from Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, and navigate to the folder where DSD+ is located. For those who are not familiar with the command prompt, use the “cd” command to change directories within command prompt. For example, if your DSD+ folder is located in c:\Radio\dsd+, you would type in command prompt “cd c:\Radio\dsd+″.

you can also double click dsd+ to launch and type the following below in to the dsd+ window-

Now type into the command prompt the command “dsd -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp -fd” to begin decoding. This will use the default sound device set in Windows sound recording properties

tune in to a well known dmr signal and see if it decodes with sound.
when you set the vb cable as recording device should it be set as default device or default communication device ,this the one setting i havent thought about changing i have vb cable and speakers set as default device in windows sound properties {bnghd} {bnghd} :? :? :)
love your familly
nerdsville

Re: DSD-S**t Sorry I mean DSD+

Post by nerdsville »

Hope this rubbish picture tries to explain how it should work

RTL-SDR is input to the SDR#, the output of the SDR# instead of going to the speaker is fed into the input of the VB-Cable, the output of the VB-Cable is then used as the input of the DSD program, the output of the DSD program is sent to the speakers..

To allow DSD to use the VB-cable as the input it has to be made the default 'recording' device, and the speakers made the default 'playback' device as already described by mickydt

nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

OK thanks guys I was forgetting that the RTL is also an input it makes a bit more sense now.

The information on setting vcable also as default comms device is good so I will try that also, I did think about doing this but did not as this is the first time I have come across that information.

Apart from vcable not being set as the default communication device every other setting is already fine so not sure why I am hearing no voices.

I will go and try this communications device setting and see what happens.

I have a cleaner head to work with today after sleeping the anger with the thing off, just got to me yesturday after fidling with this setting and that setting for the last 3 weeks just to get some voice.

Will post when I have tried the communications device thing
Last edited by nay27uk on 10 Nov 2016, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

thank you nerdsville ,by the way the picture is not bad !!! just wondered if you knew wether its cable output set to default device ,or default communication device ,theres a choice on windows 10 thanks !! :thumbup:
love your familly
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

scottyboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by scottyboy »

Does anyone have experience of decoding hytera xpt trucked systems with dsd+?
I have 1 local to me and dsd shows as TG 250 but on any Motorola handheld (dp4800, dp3600 and dp3400) I don't get any audio.
I have a retevis rt3 with the experimental firmware which obviously opens it up to all TG and I get audio through that.
But with that it doesn't actually show the TG in use.
Just wondering if it's possible that dsd+ (v1.101) isn't decoding the correct TG?
Is anyone aware of any other decoding programs which is compatible with hytera xpt systems?
2M0SRM

Quansheng tg-uv2
yaesu FT-7900E
Motorola DP3600 UHF + VHF
MTH800
MTP850s
SRH3800
CM-9000
MTM5400
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

OK after playing around all day I Finally have this working now, now I just need to get the Bandwidths and Order right so they don't sound as gargled and more clear.

I am adding some pictures of what I did to get it working so others that are using Window 10 may be able to benefit.

OK the Windows 10 Playback Device Settings
Playback.png
The Windows 10 Recording Devices Settings
Recording.jpg
SDR# Audio Setting
SDRAudio.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nay27uk on 10 Nov 2016, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

SDR# DSD Plugin Setting
SDRDSD.jpg
Thanks to everyone for the help and bearing with me through my tantrums

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

now do the same for me but with hdsdr ,i give up with sdr# the mouse keeps freezing ??
love your familly
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Sounds like a bit of CPU or Memory lag stanogs68

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

:wave: :wave: :wave: [quote="nay27uk"]Sounds like a bit of CPU or Memory lag stanogs68[/quote
How do I.get rid of that it only does after about 3 mins or so ??? :?
love your familly
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

What system you running mate?
What CPU and how much memory?
is it 64 or 32 bit Windows?

Unfortunately SDR# is only available in a x86 32 Bit variant, they could do with making a X64 version for us that are on 64 Bit Operating Systems, 32 Bit software will run on 64 Bit systems as they are backwards compatible but there will always be some teething issues and or problems when running 32 Bit on a 64 Bit OS, Even I have experienced that SDR# sometimes Freezes and wont let me even close it so I have to start Task Manager to shut it down and I am on a system running an i7 and 16GB of ram.

Could just be that SDR# is a memory intensive software either that or DSD+ is, I will have to do some testing on that.

Out of curiosity have you tried running SDR# in Compatibility Mode? try running it in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nerdsville

Post by nerdsville »

Don't forget reducing the sample bandwidth can make a huge difference, you don't need to sample 2MHz of the radio spectrum when all you are interested in is the odd 25kHz of it.. everything that is sampled has to be processed needing memory and cpu cycles.