CB Radio article/book

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
will_hogan
Registered New User
Registered New User

CB Radio article/book

Post by will_hogan »

Hi all,

I'm writing an article for the Sunday Times Magazine (and later a book) on CB Radio in the 80s. I'd really like to chat to anyone involved now (and back then if possible) for a few minutes about it all.

Personally speaking, I've been an avid collector of eyeball cards for many years, and if anyone has any of these in existence, so much the better. It's definitely not essential though - I'd be grateful for any input you can spare.

My email is [email protected] so please feel free to drop me a line. I can then either ask you a few qs via email or if you give me a number and a good time to call, I can do that too.

Thanks so much,

Will
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: CB Radio article/book

Post by The Collector »

We had a researcher from "The One Show" asking for info on CB's a couple of years back. I'm not sure what info he gained from this site but what a hash he made of that. The show ran the subject pretty much making everyone that used to or currently used a CB radio out to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic (thanks Giles Brandeth). You may find you don't get many direct responses because of that.

Unfortunately, I myself don't have any eyeball cards or anything of that nature to be honest. However, If it's pictures of early legal radios you're after then that's a different matter as thats what I've collected for about 8 years.

There have been a few topics posted on here over the years about what people used to get up to back in the day CB-wise. If you use the "search" option and try a few topics, you may find a few snippets of interest. You can always make contact with that particular author to try and expand on what's been written (you may however find that you'll have restricted access as a new member, and may have to post a few times to be able to message people though).

Good luck in your endeavour ;)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Wise words, but what's the chances of him ever logging in again?

People who post their email with a request usually disappear. I imagine he's done the same on other forums.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I hope the pimp doesn't email him. It'll be an x-rated book :shock:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I'm surprised weety authorised this one, but hey, my cynicism may cloud my judgement.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I don't see the harm. Anything has to be an improvement on the One Show abortion.

All as ask is that if TM1 members wish to contribute, please request that we get a mention for the website/forum so as we can draw-in anybody looking to get back into the hobby after reading the article. That would be the best outcome from it IMHO.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Perhaps he could turn the book into a film if it sold well? ;)

I said a while back we could do with a British 80's era CB film to get more interest back into the hobby. Don't think it would compete with the likes of Smokey or Convoy etc though these days.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

CB and CB enthusiasts are treated with contempt by most mainstream journalists, much like UFO people.

The stereotypical CBer is a fat, unemployed person living on the 30th floor of a Council high rise.

Don't feed the animals.

And if Will ever logs in again I will post an apology here.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote: unemployed person living on the 30th floor of a Council high rise.

yeah, how do you manage to carry your yaesu 101 from your car to yer flat with the lift being vandalised every other day ? :D
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

PLL02A wrote:
Admiral wrote: unemployed person living on the 30th floor of a Council high rise.

yeah, how do you manage to carry your yaesu 101 from your car to yer flat with the lift being vandalised every other day ? :D

I get my butler to carry it whilst he fans me.
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

we had the tango and cash film how about tango and mike....
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

Sooner have a can of Tango TBH

I agree what Admiral said about journalists ,you only have to look at what the One Show and London Tonight did made us look a right bunch of sados
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Journos eh... Why let the truth get in the way of a good story
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

I don't want to be looked as some saddo by some journo cos I like Radio so they can have a story , because I'm nothing like any of those in the programmes what been done already
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Nubster you are not a saddo,yer just a hardcore breaker mate,that didnt give into the other half,when you moved on,had kids and settled down,but instead of coming on here talking about what you used to do back in the day (CB) yer still active because you are not under the thumb like them on here ;) I love the fact I have an "eyesore" 827 up,and have just cut off above the rf choke on the S.G.M,as I needed something to hang my homebrew 1/2 wave dipole off,and yes I did take out the inside wire,at least it came in handy afterall.Leave the tv shows about CB where they belong and that is in the past.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb