UK DMR...whats going on??

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by sec1223 »

Erm my 40 min qso was shared by multiple other users that where actually all over the uk as in down south, Yorkshire, Wales and a station in Ireland (UK wide) And at the time, we where the only ones on dmr and as stated, got no complaints.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

So what's the difference between 235 and talking on there and tg9 s2 local been linked to 4400?? Tell you what since the dummy was spit out by a few non mentioned people dmr has gone into decline people don't want to key up it's rediculous!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

daz3210 wrote:
sec1223 wrote:
Admiral wrote:You're missing the point, the key element is having a desire to use DMR, I have no desire to use morse so will not be looking up dits and dahs, but, if you have a desire to use DMR then it is your duty to learn about it before you mess around with it.
i agree one million percent, but 98% of the people that want to use it simply dont know how, so whats wrong with a set of instructions or guides to "help" those that dont know how its done?
If you don't have such a 'publication', how on earth do folk learn so as to not be 'dummies' when it comes to DMR?

For people to have the knowledge before jumping in there has to be literature out there for them to learn, and indeed it has to be literature that tells them the truth, not someones own opinion.
There's plenty out there, I for one learnt a lot from TM1 member Radiosification, who, the last time I spoke to him didn't have a ham licence, but taught me a lot about DMR before I bought my sets and started keying up. It's all out there, PDFs, youtube vids etc.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Dodgey Dave wrote:So what's the difference between 235 and talking on there and tg9 s2 local been linked to 4400??
I take it that's some kind of an ironical humour question?
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

Admiral wrote:
daz3210 wrote:
sec1223 wrote:
i agree one million percent, but 98% of the people that want to use it simply dont know how, so whats wrong with a set of instructions or guides to "help" those that dont know how its done?
If you don't have such a 'publication', how on earth do folk learn so as to not be 'dummies' when it comes to DMR?

For people to have the knowledge before jumping in there has to be literature out there for them to learn, and indeed it has to be literature that tells them the truth, not someones own opinion.
There's plenty out there, I for one learnt a lot from TM1 member Radiosification, who, the last time I spoke to him didn't have a ham licence, but taught me a lot about DMR before I bought my sets and started keying up. It's all out there, PDFs, youtube vids etc.

Ah.. so you got spoon fed your info off RS then?.
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

Admiral wrote:
Dodgey Dave wrote:So what's the difference between 235 and talking on there and tg9 s2 local been linked to 4400??
It's a question you seem to have no answer for? I have it on good authority that dmr network BM has declined in activity since the dummy was thrown out by certain people and for me it was more pleasure using the dmr network before that happened and people weren't scared to key up incase they were spoken to like rubbish not something I want to participate in thanks just want to get on use the network make a few contacts along the way that's what ham radios about it's a hobby not a business.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

sec1223 wrote:
Admiral wrote:
daz3210 wrote:

Ah.. so you got spoon fed your info off RS then?.
Nope, I actively went and sought the information, I used the information already available to learn from and then practice and teach myself further, no spoon-feeding involved.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Dodgey Dave wrote:
Admiral wrote:
It's a question you seem to have no answer for? I have it on good authority that dmr network BM has declined in activity since the dummy was thrown out by certain people and for me it was more pleasure using the dmr network before that happened and people weren't scared to key up incase they were spoken to like rubbish not something I want to participate in thanks just want to get on use the network make a few contacts along the way that's what ham radios about it's a hobby not a business.
My local repeater is Phoenix and doesn't have a D-Star reflector on TG9 S2 (as far as I'm aware) so I am not in a position to answer.
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

Admiral wrote:
Dodgey Dave wrote:
Admiral wrote:
My local repeater is Phoenix and doesn't have a D-Star reflector on TG9 S2 (as far as I'm aware) so I am not in a position to answer.
Why not have a look? The information is out there it's all DMR why come on a forum that's discussing dmr if you don't know about it? I'm sure if your on the Phoenix network the issues on 235 or any other talk group won't affect you? Right??
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Dodgey Dave wrote:
Admiral wrote:
Dodgey Dave wrote:
Why not have a look? The information is out there it's all DMR why come on a forum that's discussing dmr if you don't know about it? I'm sure if your on the Phoenix network the issues on 235 or any other talk group won't affect you? Right??
Not too sure what your beef is sunshine, but starting on me won't help your cause, discuss in a reasonable manner or don't bother.

Put your question in English and I'll try and respond.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

The difference is, with always-on talkgroups like 235 you're tying up every repeater in the country. On something user activated like 80 or 81 or a reflector on TG9 you're only tying up the repeaters that are connected, other repeaters are free to be used for something else. A lot of people don't like to hear any kind of QSO at all on 235 and think it should be used purely as a "calling channel". Personally I've heard some interesting conversations on 235 while monitoring that I would never have heard if they'd QSYd to a user activated talkgroup.
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

BK wrote:
The difference is, with always-on talkgroups like 235 you're tying up every repeater in the country. On something user activated like 80 or 81 or a reflector on TG9 you're only tying up the repeaters that are connected, other repeaters are free to be used for something else. A lot of people don't like to hear any kind of QSO at all on 235 and think it should be used purely as a "calling channel". Personally I've heard some interesting conversations on 235 while monitoring that I would never have heard if they'd QSYd to a user activated talkgroup.
My thoughts exactly heard some good conversations on 235. Thing is the aspect of linking whatever it is 235 or tg9 local it's still opening the scope for activity or more people being able to have a net.. Look at it this way take your analogue repeater and multiply it's footprint say put a call out more chance of a reply and people joining in.

As far as your concerned Admiral read my reply again or don't comment on something you quite clearly have admitted you know nothing about!
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Dodgey Dave wrote:
As far as your concerned Admiral read my reply again or don't comment on something you quite clearly have admitted you know nothing about!
This thread has been pulled twice, I will reserve comment to save a third.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

Yeah I'm dying to comment too, but I'm not lmfao
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

Admiral wrote:
Dodgey Dave wrote:
This thread has been pulled twice, I will reserve comment to save a third.

Yorn Yorn!!