how to improve DAB reception

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
jimster99
Regular
Regular

how to improve DAB reception

Post by jimster99 »

I have a family member who lives in central Brighton and she cannot receive DAB in her house. She has an ariel in yer loft and cannot install a roof one because of planning restrictions. Can anyone recommend a good (but affordable) ariel that can be used in a loft and would be good for DAB reception (and analogue TV too)? Or is there any other solution like a signal booster (although I have heard mixed reports about these).

Thanks!!
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Re: how to improve DAB reception

Post by Allan666 »

If you can only have a loft based DAB aerial,,Then I would recommend something like a 4 or 6 element beam type,,If you have the room,Point the dab aerial to your main TV transmitter.Make sure you don't buy/have a combined tv/dab or analog /dab.Buy single types of aerial.Do not buy a loop type.Just buy the biggest DAB beam that you can get in your loft and hang it from the wooden roof supports.JUST REMEMBER BIG IS BEST for loft aerials.Then buy some good quality low loss down cable..Fit the cable direct from aerial to to the dab receiver no joints no posh wall sockets..Hope this helps ..I own a TV Aerial installation company now for over 35 years and that is what I would recommend my guys to do.Hope it helps. :)
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

jimster99 wrote:(and analogue TV too)?
What analogue TV would that be for? I thought it was all gone now... :? DX?
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

kr0ne wrote:

French TV maybe :D but that is mostly digital I think.
Can't help but love an Adams.

jimster99
Regular
Regular

Post by jimster99 »

kr0ne wrote:
Sorry! That was a stupid question. I forgot it had been switched off!!! {bnghd}

Thanks for the advice re: choosing a large ariel. Is there any specific model you'd recommend? There is a lot of space in the attic.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

This is not answering the question, but have you considered internet radio as an alternative?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
pete_uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pete_uk »

StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

You can buy a yagi 800MHz antenna dirt cheap on ebay for digital TV or you could just get a satellite dish and get freesat, I've found lots of sky mini dishes laying around that people have chucked away and they have always worked well of course you'd need a satellite finder to realign the dish which are also very cheap. As for analog TV thats all finished now.

I love experimenting with DAB going up to hilltops with antennas to see what stations I can pick up. You'd need a yagi for 225 MHz for best results on DAB I pick up loads in my area I even get BBC Bristol sometimes here in South Bucks, I get Juice FM as well which is the Brighton station. A good yagi works well and should work ok in the loft, check all the connections on your antenna as well.
jimster99 wrote:I have a family member who lives in central Brighton and she cannot receive DAB in her house. She has an ariel in yer loft and cannot install a roof one because of planning restrictions. Can anyone recommend a good (but affordable) ariel that can be used in a loft and would be good for DAB reception (and analogue TV too)? Or is there any other solution like a signal booster (although I have heard mixed reports about these).

Thanks!!
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

This thread is more than a year and a half old...

If the OP hasn't found a solution yet, I'm sure that their relative must be happy with FM and now be so used to having no TV that they no longer have any interest in going back to having their life ruled by the idiot box!
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Time goes by so fast now days
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Updating this subject, I've noticed a major reshuffle of DAB radio for the UK. Virgin radio is reborn, other stations have appeared and you have to retune your DAB set to get Absolute 80's Planet rock etc. Talk radio makes a comeback too. Also spotted are the first transmissions of DAB+ broadcasts in the UK.
You can never have enough radios!
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

New transmitter sites are working well in my part of the world.

Talk Radio, yeah but have you seen the schedule or their website ?

Pretty dire :-(

Many of the original Talk Radio hosts are now dead anyway.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

DAB is rubbish, its ok if you want to listen to mono MP2 quality "Digital" audio at home. It gets even worse if you have one on the move like in the car or have one portable.

There has been some talk that HD radio will be coming over set to replace DAB in the UK
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Only thing in DAB's favour is i can listen to Radio5live while driving at night without all that fading carryon.. Its a godsend wen im driving to see my other half
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

StormShadow wrote:DAB is rubbish, its ok if you want to listen to mono MP2 quality "Digital" audio at home. It gets even worse if you have one on the move like in the car or have one portable.

There has been some talk that HD radio will be coming over set to replace DAB in the UK
Oh jeez! More cash layout for replacing DAB radio equipped gear in the home and car! :crazy:
You can never have enough radios!