HF

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Radioshane

HF

Post by Radioshane »

how come on Wikipedia it says a lot of military uses just use HF for a backup then other websites say US navy and other navies still use it?
and is there still a lot of US coastguard on HF?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: HF

Post by Admiral »

As it's written and edited generally by Joe Public then it isn't the oracle.

'Backup' and 'use' can be interpreted as the same thing.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Yeah Wikipedia is not a great source and can be very inaccurate.
When I was at Uni I was told by a lecturer that if any thing I submitted had Wikipedia as a reference source he would instantly fail anyone who used it.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

well is there a lot of action on hf then ie us coastguard uk coastguard and various military?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Not sure about those, but there's a lot of Atlantic air traffic on HF.

I imagine the military stuff would be a back-up in case their satellites don't work, so I guess they would use HF as an exercise for when proper comms are down, even then, I would hope they use some form of encryption.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Admiral wrote:Not sure about those, but there's a lot of Atlantic air traffic on HF.

I imagine the military stuff would be a back-up in case their satellites don't work, so I guess they would use HF as an exercise for when proper comms are down, even then, I would hope they use some form of encryption.
There is still a lot of HF used by various militaries, however these days encryption/digital is the name of the game for those that can afford it and have the infrastructure, of course some rag tag camo clad fraternities still use whatever is available cheap on E-Bay analogue!
Sure a lot of Military comms are satellite these days, if they have the infrastructure and availablity, but there are "armies" and "wannabe armies", the latter tend to use whatever is at hand! ;)
Of course whether or not you can hear them depends entirely on time of day, and power/quality of their installations! :D
Tuning around hoping to come across a military "coup" in progress, is probably as fruitful as tuning around hoping to hear an amateur HF transmission that doesn't mainly involve 5 and 9! or tips on vegetable growing and illnesses ;)
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

GeeFull wrote: Tuning around hoping to come across a military "coup" in progress, is probably as fruitful as tuning around hoping to hear an amateur HF transmission that doesn't mainly involve 5 and 9! or tips on vegetable growing and illnesses ;)
Bob Hope and no hope then?
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

well acoording to the airwaves book there is a lot of rafcom stuff us coastguard and kinlos search and rescue stuff on hf!
and a lot of non warefare stuff on hf
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

does anyone know what VHF UHF frequencies the magnificent joint warrior exercise uses?
I know there using a lot of HF
and is there were on internet were I can get us coastguard comms ?