VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Anon

Re: VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

Post by Anon »

rob12770 wrote:
StormShadow wrote:I hope so, besides Ham radio wouldn't be the same without 2 meters.
either way you look at it, vhf cb is bad news for 2 meters,, there will be even More of radios like the UV5R that will just get more idiots jamming the 2m repeaters... like its not bad enough.. {bnghd}
anyway Why would we want vhf CB ?.. cant see the point myself..
I don't think a VHF CB system should be license free,but why not why shouldn't CB given a VHF Allocation?

Yes I have my license but I prefer CB,I think there's more chance of a VHF CB allocation being used,2m is dead around here :roll:

All the Cb operators where I am are decent operators and would use a VHF allocation to their advantage.

Not everywhere in the UK is full of bucket mouth's and mike keyer's :roll:

We seem to be behind everywhere else now with our 500mw UHF system {bnghd}

More choice on 27mhz treated like naughty little children when it comes to VHF or UHF :yawn:

I love informal Citizens Band its where I came from and where I always end up ;)
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

rob12770 wrote:
StormShadow wrote:I hope so, besides Ham radio wouldn't be the same without 2 meters.
either way you look at it, vhf cb is bad news for 2 meters,, there will be even More of radios like the UV5R that will just get more idiots jamming the 2m repeaters... like its not bad enough.. {bnghd}
anyway Why would we want vhf CB ?.. cant see the point myself..
I'm all for VHF cb. There are loads of UV5R radios and others, and people using them on 446 has this lead to people jamming 70cms or 2m? I think if your in the mind set you'll do it regardless..
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

The top end of 143mhz appears to be used as a cb band apparently! - just saying!

;)
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Indeed, I asked about VHF Freeband frequencies on another forum, and was told the top half of 143MHZ was unofficially alocated to Paragliders.

Not many of those in these parts. ;)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
B5566

Post by B5566 »

Pirating on any random part of the spectrum now is called "unofficially allocated"? Lol! So I do "unofficially allocate" myself one or two free slots on CCIR broadcast band for myself now :) With them "paragliders" or similar bunch of funny guys - I've heard them virtually anywhere below 144MHz with a specific liking for 136-138MHz. I was wondering if 143MHz in the UK could be caused by the cheaply available AM handhelds ex-ambulances/metropolice? what I do believe were allocated around 143MHz years ago?

Re "vhf cb"

In my formidable opinion its not needed. Or rather - 446 should be expanded by few more channels, maybe repeaters (if there'e any useful idiots willing to put it up and maintain), certainly more power and detachable antennas. Say:

up to 25w power (cause lots of ex-PMR or new PMR-like gear would find its way on the band - guaranteed)
FM / some common standard DMR (Motorola MotoTBO?) for EVERY "legal" radio.
Any antenna allowed
repeaters/iGates allowed
selective calling with user id (user programmable) user groups etc in addition to ctcss/dcs
no licenses (a nonsense)
spread spectrum ;)
Resistance is futile.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

I don't know why you say "should be extended", and then go on to state a list of increased provisions for UHF 446, as many are already doing most of what you mentioned! (And more!)
As for paragliders/microlights, we have hundreds round here in the warmer months, flying off a local high spot, and they certainly don't restrict themselves to the top end of 143 Mhz, they are often heard, and righty chatised, for operating well into 144 Mhz, (smack in the SSB or beacons portion usualy), as most of them seemingly buy cheap Chinese multiband jobbies and headsets, and simply "group" anywhere they can't immediately "hear" anyone else operating!
They even pop up on 70 cms, the logic being, apparantly, if you are going to "pirate" then pirating the Ham bands, is somehow less "illegal" than transgressing on various commercial operations!
God knows where they get that idea from, but it does seem ingrained!
VHF CB?, great idea, thats unfortunately probably never going to happen, but I doubt it will stop the pirate fraternity from dabbling wherever they feel there is an underused slot, I am sure there are many already doing it, in their little local select groups!
B5566

Post by B5566 »

I say "should be extended" cause I still, maybe foolishly, believe that most of what it is on it now are legitimate radios and plain people, who has no more interest in radio above "it should work". In reality we are in pretty much minority of the 446 users. And yes - all of what we think is already happening so why just not legalize it within reasonable specs? Personally I see no point for SSB on 446 or data modes or mental amounts of rf power. And to be honest prices on such a gear are still restrictive enough to prevent it happening, so an worldwide typical pmr specs would be a reasonable move.

But who would pay up a business licenses then? :) The market for vhf/uhf is rapidly shrinking anyway in favour of mobile phone companies and why the always greedy for the money regulators would give away for free a competitive system, where telecom industry is ready to pay for bulk of the frequencies, make more money and create safe landings for governmental orphans (read-retired politicians ) after next voting.

Nah, vhf/uhf cb won't happen in the regime oppressed eu countries untill the Big Brother will be ready to incorporate some kind of easily controlled new digital system with retrofitted fm.

All the gsm traffic is filtered through the ears of the Big Brother so will be any new vhf/uhf cb radio. And no, I am not being paranoid, but realistic.
Resistance is futile.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Ex Pmr equipment finding it's way onto the band's,it's a bit late when people are/have been using wide banded radio's that can Tx in the part's of the spectrum that are NOT meant to be used along with the other types of radio's like ex taxi radio's that have been converted as well,as some don't want a few radio's when one is enough that does it all for them like the 857's and the like.As for 25W being used there are some who are running far more,and use an external amp as the radio doesn't have enough.Every form of communication is heard when it comes to anything that need's a power supply,hence why some thing's are better said face to face away from any kind of communication using a radio wave as it is harder for Big Brother to hear and log,so it has nothing to do with new area's of the spectrum being listened to,because like it or not they do LISTEN as they have to,under the national security banner.If some of the people who should know better don't stick to the proper frequencies/Tx power being used,then what chance do you have with those that are not amateur,especially when some are seen to encourage other's to not give a sh1t,especially on the internet where disregard for the LAW is a common thing when it comes to radio by some who should know better and some who don't,each day every day.CB radio and Pmr 446 should be enough for most,but it never will be when some want even more frequencies,even if "they" are not allowed to use that part of the radio spectrum.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

B5566 wrote:Pirating on any random part of the spectrum now is called "unofficially allocated"? Lol! So I do "unofficially allocate" myself one or two free slots on CCIR broadcast band for myself now :) With them "paragliders" or similar bunch of funny guys - I've heard them virtually anywhere below 144MHz with a specific liking for 136-138MHz. I was wondering if 143MHz in the UK could be caused by the cheaply available AM handhelds ex-ambulances/metropolice? what I do believe were allocated around 143MHz years ago?

Re "vhf cb"

In my formidable opinion its not needed. Or rather - 446 should be expanded by few more channels, maybe repeaters (if there'e any useful idiots willing to put it up and maintain), certainly more power and detachable antennas. Say:

up to 25w power (cause lots of ex-PMR or new PMR-like gear would find its way on the band - guaranteed)
FM / some common standard DMR (Motorola MotoTBO?) for EVERY "legal" radio.
Any antenna allowed
repeaters/iGates allowed
selective calling with user id (user programmable) user groups etc in addition to ctcss/dcs
no licenses (a nonsense)
spread spectrum ;)
138MHz to 144MHz near my area is CenterCom "London Buses" and have been there for years. I don't think any emergency services used those frequencies. The Police used 150MHz to 153MHz for there Air communications and their Ground communications were on UHF 450MHz to 453MHz. They also had a VHF lowband frequency around 80MHz for special operations. The Ambulance Service used something around 160MHz to 175MHz
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

This is the Paragliding forum page that the info I obtained came from.

An interesting read.

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3196
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

im gona add my 10 pence worth to this cos its been rumbling on. It seems to me that a vhf or uhf open channel system would be of great value to the population at this time, as i have said before we in the uk have two open systems that are not fit for purpose 27Mhz suffers from not only localized noise but long distance qrm making it totally usless for any serious communication ether short or mid range also antenna size is a problem with installation factors not every body has the space these days to install 11 meter kit.Then we have good old 446 pmr that seems to cater for a small minority of opps requiring very short range but for the majority of people a longer range system is desperatly required a uk stand alone system would meet the demands maybe small but as the system was opened across the uk would i think add an extra demension to the systems we have that are of any real use ie mobile phone etc. happy thoughts
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

MW6ZAN wrote:but for the majority of people a longer range system is desperatly required a uk stand alone system would meet the demands maybe small but as the system was opened across the uk would i think add an extra demension to the systems we have that are of any real use ie mobile phone etc. happy thoughts
For the majority of the people, that would need to be about 33 million. The most votes this has garnered on here is less than 100.

The number of users using 446 for what its need for will run into tens of thousands. Short range radio from shop floor to store room, office to yard, etc. It works for them, providing too many "operators" scan the CTCSS code and jump in on the side demanding a rig check or a conversation.

So that leaves less than 100 people out of 64 million that might use it, but only until they discover that it too gets plagued by mic keyers and music players, then they will complain that the VHF band too is useless.

Face, CB as you knew in in the 70's and 80's is dead, and no amount of wishcasting will bring it back.
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

it's an old thread

but why reinvent the wheel?

why not the same as we have in Australia; UHF 80 channels including repeaters? rigs for these frequencies are already on the market.
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

I'd go with that! Pigs might be able to fly first though.
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Ham radio costs them a fortune, so does many PMR type licenses, so they cut down the protection, extend the license periods and make it less hassle. They simply won't want to administer another limited user system.