NATO 2000 Low SSB talk power

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: NATO 2000 Low SSB talk power

Post by andymuza »

Yeah checked bias and FM deviation. Bias needed a slight adjustment. The FM deviation was also adjust as it was way to loud.

Cheers
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Retrodog
Call Sign: 26SW07

Post by Retrodog »

Don't for get to set the SSB ALC also.
I found that the bias in mine needed to be almost full up to be linear.

I will try the resistor mod also, thanks for the info guys.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Retrodog wrote:Don't for get to set the SSB ALC also.
I found that the bias in mine needed to be almost full up to be linear.

I will try the resistor mod also, thanks for the info guys.
Good way to smoke the outputs, the problem with the Nato and other similar rigs is I believe that the source impedance of the bias circuit is too highv so the bias voltage droops under load, there's a video on youtube 'perfectioning audio' I think, shows you how to mod the bias circuit so it can supply more current under load.
Retrodog

Post by Retrodog »

Thanks for that,
I won’t be modifying much as it won’t get a lot of use. Given the operating range of the bias potentiometer at first I thought someone had replaced it with the wrong value as it was almost on full before the signal became what I’d call class AB “linear”.
I must admit though I have never heard one sounding rough in terms of linearity, the complaint has always been thin audio and slight clipping.
Appreciate you putting me wise to this as I don’t want to fry the 2SC1969.
Talking of which the IMD performance anything over 10w is poor by the looks of things anyway as it rapidly drops below -35dbc.
Retrodog

Post by Retrodog »

Well now back at home its all immaterial really as RV2 only gives 0.6v full up anyway!
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Retrodog wrote:Well now back at home its all immaterial really as RV2 only gives 0.6v full up anyway!
Might be worth the small effort https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDDWhr6 ... Cy8lgmalJQ
Retrodog

Post by Retrodog »

cjay wrote:
Retrodog wrote:Well now back at home its all immaterial really as RV2 only gives 0.6v full up anyway!
Might be worth the small effort https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDDWhr6 ... Cy8lgmalJQ
Excellent! thank you for the link, I thought when I was setting up the bias initially by "ear" it only just reach linear output when the potentiometer was at maximum. At 0.6v it's not quite there.

I must sort this next week when I'm on holiday.
Thanks again!