Help needed with amplifier switch config

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM612

Help needed with amplifier switch config

Post by Warden »

I am building a loop antenna and have just got an amplifier kit that can do several antenna configs. You have to make up the switch box, but at the moment I only want to run a single loop. I don't have the switches yet but i think he got the instructions wrong. It says you need two SPST switches but the photo diagram down the page shows what looks to me like SPDT switches.
Anyway as I only want to run a single loop (loop A) for the moment can anyone tell me if I can do this by just bridging the connector pins so that it's just stuck in loop A config. ?
What pins would i need to connect for loop A only. :D

Look at 2.5 Mode Control Switches

Here are the instructions. http://active-antenna.eu/tech-docs/2_Ac ... unt_20.pdf
26-TM-612

No one rules if no one obeys.

Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 09/09/14 :)
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Re: Help needed with amplifier switch config

Post by ChrisCSL »

I'd just link pins 4 and 6 together, and not bother with the switches at all.

Edit: Oops. Try 3 and 6. you're using a loop aren't you ... not a dipole.
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Warden »

Cheers got it up and running but needs work, not performing as good as my dipole yet.
26-TM-612

ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Warden wrote:Cheers got it up and running but needs work, not performing as good as my dipole yet.
In what way?

Don't forget that loops work much better if you put a big piece of black tape over the 'S'-meter ;)
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Warden »

S/N is not as good, and if i turn the loop in a certain direction the noise floor goes mad and i just get broadcast stations.
I made a dipole from a Diamond BU-50 1:1 balun while waiting for the kit to arrive and it's working a treat. I was advised to get this kit when the receiver would not work on my Gwhip Mini Widebander due to clipping errors popping up all the time.
Will have to experiment a bit more with loops but not sure it's going to match the dipole. These direct sampling receivers don't half seem fussy when it comes to antennas.
26-TM-612

ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Warden wrote:S/N is not as good, and if i turn the loop in a certain direction the noise floor goes mad and i just get broadcast stations.
I made a dipole from a Diamond BU-50 1:1 balun while waiting for the kit to arrive and it's working a treat. I was advised to get this kit when the receiver would not work on my Gwhip Mini Widebander due to clipping errors popping up all the time.
Will have to experiment a bit more with loops but not sure it's going to match the dipole. These direct sampling receivers don't half seem fussy when it comes to antennas.
A good dipole is just fine.

All I use for recieve on all bands is a balanced inverted 'V' about 25 feet long, with the middle right up inside the loft apex, and 75 Ohm satellite coax.

Does the job.