President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

Post by PoisoN »

looks good simon i may actually buy one now :)
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

Just seen the videos, that looks great now. More importantly they have upgraded the channel change so it has a more positive feel. The original was quite jumpy in places. Looks like V3 is the way to go!
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Slowly getting better , I can still see a few more revisions yet though , the FM audio still needs work IMO , my mate has the V2 with the Astatic copy microphone and I don't think it's very nice at all , even worse with the echo on , but on all other modes , fantastic can't complain sounds like a Lincoln should do , but there getting there and the new channel selector looks a lot more positive :-)
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

I was going to buy one glad I didnt! its a shame when a radio has to have all these revisions to get it right.
the L2 is not that cheap compared to other radios you can buy from other brands, paying presidents price for anytone performance, but good on president they have fixed rigs for free which aint bad I suppose,but you shouldnt have to go through all the trouble in the first place.
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
Griff
Call Sign: 26TM586

Post by Griff »

cjay wrote:There's a rule in the IT game, never buy version one of anything, never be an early adopter so if I were in the market to buy a new radio I'd give one due consideration because at least they're dealing with the problems.

The internet makes it so easy to destroy the rep of anything really quickly. While I accept that the Lincoln 2 might have needed changes I can;'t think of many radios that didn't. Even on Ham gear costing many times the price.

As for longevity, of course they'll be around in thirty years, people will collect them just the same as the collect the radios that are thirty years old now

I'd also wager that the components in these radios are far better quality than the ones used thirty years ago, there seems to be a bias against SMD which is totally undeserved, what people should be bothered about is lead free solder.
Couldn't have put it better myself cjay. :thumbup:
Transmission1 wrote:Just seen the videos, that looks great now. More importantly they have upgraded the channel change so it has a more positive feel. The original was quite jumpy in places. Looks like V3 is the way to go!
Yes, I'm quite excited about the Lincoln 2 again.

Problem is, I'm now torn between it and the 6666. To much temptation at the moment! :think:
Griff "Lokjaw" - 26TM586 / 26FB3476

President Madison, Uniden 2830, President AR144, President Jackson, Sirio Gain Master
Tarambor
Banned
Banned

Post by Tarambor »

CaptainKirk wrote:I was going to buy one glad I didnt! its a shame when a radio has to have all these revisions to get it right.
Everything mechanical and electronic you own has had several revisions before its right. Hell, even the bonnet release cable on my Mondeo is on design number 4 now.

Pre-production testing can only reveal so much. Customers will use gear in environments and in ways that simply cannot be tested for if you actually want to release a product at a price people will pay in a timescale that means it'll be available before they've died.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

you are right matey maybe I should have a punt on one :) dont knock it till you try it so to speak.I do like the look of the L2 to be honest it has all the features that you need for 10m and its got CTCSS which my Albrecht 5890 hasnt got, saying that the 5890 has issues worse than the L2!
it looks like they are getting it sorted out and good customer service too.I bought a Grant 2 in the knowledge that its uniden made and even the G2 needs a bit of a tweek to get it to sing.
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
Radiohead01

Post by Radiohead01 »

I am not sure what people are expecting?

President swiftly issued a fix, and offered to modify any effected radios gratis. Now they've productionised the modifications, along with a few other software hardware tweaks. All of this in less than 3 months. Should the radio have been better in the first place? Of course, but remember not everyone reported issues. And even with the issues the radio essentially worked, just its performance fell below people's expectations.

In the age of the internet it is easy to make or break a product. Errors that effect consumers rightfully should be brought to task. Equally we should judge those companies by their response. In this case I can honestly say my confidence in President has grown. They may have initially dropped the ball, but they took responsibility and sorted things out.

I can honestly say my President modified V2 works excellently. Aside from some trivial criticisms it is hard to fault. If the V3 works as well as this then I don't see any real need for further revisions (unless you really care about the echo). Should you buy one? That is entirely up to you. I wouldn't blame anyone for picking one of its cousins instead, but I would question anyone who views are blinkered by what they've heard about the V1.

FM performance. I've heard some recordings of me with a standard mic from a friend and they sound pretty good.

Also Cubwolf's video of Simon posted on his channel sounds pretty good too.

http://youtu.be/yo-1oK5lggU
James
26TM475
razmouk
Regular
Regular

Post by razmouk »

Some people seem to have an opinion to share, yet haven't had the radio?
That's bizarre!
I have a L2, and it was pants with all the known faults. It was returned to president, all free of charge, with unbelievable customer service and communications, then returned back to me very swiftly.
I now have a really fantastic radio, end of story!
If the V3 is an improvement, I'm jealous because mine is superb as it is.
I'm honestly belly laughing at the bull some people come out with in here. In all my years on cb, I've never been more pleased with a company, as I am with president, stunning in my opinion.
You can't see the wood for the trees so they say, and no doubt true of some of the posts on this forum at times.
Razamataz since January 1982.......
Blackpool and St Asaph.

26TM036

Using an Optima MK2 in my Shack, a SS 9900 in the bedroom, a Sigma SkipMaster 5/8th.
CRT 1 in 'Harry' our VW Campervan

Binatone 5 Star, Harvard Handheld, Rotel 220... Just for memory lane moments of senility!
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXsSJmdLZK8

That is mine and Simons QSO this morn with my V2 and Simons V3.

V2 sounds decent enough on RX me thinks.

Link to the other side of the QSO on Simons blog or in the video.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

razmouk wrote:I'm honestly belly laughing at the bull some people come out with in here. In all my years on cb, I've never been more pleased with a company, as I am with president, stunning in my opinion.
That's certainly not an adjective I'd use to describe the fiasco that has been the Lincoln 2 . I don't disagree that it was always going to be hard to live up to the "I" . But let's be honest . They were under no pressure or deadline to get the radio onto the market . Yet , it was blatantly obvious that little or no testing went into the radio or they would have found the faults . Fine , they fixed them free of charge . So what ? They did what any other manufacturer would , or should have done in the same situation . They've got enough radio years under their belt to get it right first time around . The radio is blighted now in my eyes . My 2c .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

cb4ever104 wrote:
razmouk wrote:I'm honestly belly laughing at the bull some people come out with in here. In all my years on cb, I've never been more pleased with a company, as I am with president, stunning in my opinion.
That's certainly not an adjective I'd use to describe the fiasco that has been the Lincoln 2 . I don't disagree that it was always going to be hard to live up to the "I" . But let's be honest . They were under no pressure or deadline to get the radio onto the market . Yet , it was blatantly obvious that little or no testing went into the radio or they would have found the faults . Fine , they fixed them free of charge . So what ? They did what any other manufacturer would , or should have done in the same situation . They've got enough radio years under their belt to get it right first time around . The radio is blighted now in my eyes . My 2c .

Sammy
I agree. People post things that they suspect and cannot back up or even just jump on the bandwagon.

Remember that old saying....its all lost in translation.
Anthony123
Call Sign: Gw0

Post by Anthony123 »

Version 3 already.. and its only been a few months, At this rate version 15 should be out by Christams...No matter what president/china do to this radio, The name is already so badly tarnished the Damage has already been done...... its never going to be held in the same regard as a MK 1 Lincoln......Why they just didnt try the radio first before selling it i just dont know... If they had did the resaerch and ammended the issues and brought out a product that worked as it should have straight out of the box then these radios would be selling like hot cakes..I would have had one in my shack.....But as it is.......It is the Anytone saga ALL over again.....Will PRESIDENT be able to salvage there name again and make it as highly thought of as it once was... HHHmmm ....Only time will tell.. but for sure, For Now theyve made a massive Pink elephant... will those who bought a version one and had it butcherd to a version 2 be able to swop it for a version 3.. President should do this out of Good will...Considering V1 was such a inferior product..
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

All companies make boo boos once in a while, including the big boys Yaesu-Icom-Kenwood. Early production PA's that blew up, leaking caps, filter issues, slipping encoders etc.... And this is equipment that is more expensive than a Chicken Box.

Microsoft OS, more versions than you could write on long length of toilet paper.

And don't forget Toyota and the brakes problem they had to recall 100's of cars back? Would that stop you buying Toyota?

How many versions of Maycom 80 channel'ers were there? That was a popular rig in it's day.

President may of done a boo boo on one rig, that has tried well to rectify, but does that honestly put a big :?: on all President rigs. At least it's a company that is willing to invest in CB and bring out new innovative products.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

Anthony123 wrote:Version 3 already.. and its only been a few months, At this rate version 15 should be out by Christams...No matter what president/china do to this radio, The name is already so badly tarnished the Damage has already been done...... its never going to be held in the same regard as a MK 1 Lincoln......Why they just didnt try the radio first before selling it i just dont know... If they had did the resaerch and ammended the issues and brought out a product that worked as it should have straight out of the box then these radios would be selling like hot cakes..I would have had one in my shack.....But as it is.......It is the Anytone saga ALL over again.....Will PRESIDENT be able to salvage there name again and make it as highly thought of as it once was... HHHmmm ....Only time will tell.. but for sure, For Now theyve made a massive Pink elephant... will those who bought a version one and had it butcherd to a version 2 be able to swop it for a version 3.. President should do this out of Good will...Considering V1 was such a inferior product..
While I will agree with you in that sense (Lincoln 1 being the one to have), my Lincoln 2 is outperforming my Lincoln 1 in pretty much all aspects.

The only thing I would like to see (on the V3) is the same mode switch applied on the L2 like the L1 simply because its easier to flick through the menu.

I assume you used a computer or even a smart phone from a well known manufacture purchased from the year it was manufactured........no thought not, you move with the times as things get better etc...Not a great analogy but my point stands. Friday afternoon QC and all that.

Even the 1st Lincoln 2 to land in the UK had a really good review and I spotted NO Rx faults like mine, and others had, but that radio still went back to France to get modded. Seems a strange review to say the V1 was decent....but thats another story.

I was **** of with President with the state of the V1 but its all sorted now and its a belter of a set.