President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

Post by delboyonline »

Knights appear to be taking orders for a VERSION 3 Lincoln 2!

My thoughts:

http://delboyonline.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... l?spref=tw
dmc
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26tm466

Re: President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

Post by dmc »

Del,how quick is that?
In your view is the version 3 needed?
Operator name Mel
QTH Reading Berkshire
It's all radio people......
26tm466
26ct011
26fb311
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Well I'm guessing that the v3 is just the same radio with the modifications (seen on the v2) built into the circuit board.

There may be some further improvements such as sorting out the echo which is too much even on the lowest settings. It certainly looks like it's following the Anytone route of regular version updates.

I'd like to see a high power version come out along the lines of the Anytone 6666.
Anthony123
Call Sign: Gw0

Post by Anthony123 »

The thing is now. even if they do sort out the issues with the radio...The Name 'lincoln 2' is in most peoples eyes a pile of dog sh@t.... So evn if they do manage to make a decent radio out of a pigs ear the Damage is already done... would i buy version 2, No....Would i buy version 3 ...Um No.... would i buy version 33 Definatly not...If they cat get it right in version 1 or 2 what hope is there for version 33....Ile stick with my Original Lincoln...Always has been version 1...never needed to revise it as it worked straight out of the box..
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Maybe if the L2 had been Uniden boarded it might have built a reputation for the right reason's as for the Original Lincoln being a poor radio which I have read online,mine seem's to work the world ok for me.
Last edited by 108EH002 on 14 May 2014, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

Non of these radios grant 2, lincoln 2, anytones, etc etc etc are going to be around in 30 years time like the proven classics. But it is, what it is!. Cant change it unless you can convince them to start using good quality components again but it will have a big impact on price and profits for the company.
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

There's a rule in the IT game, never buy version one of anything, never be an early adopter so if I were in the market to buy a new radio I'd give one due consideration because at least they're dealing with the problems.

The internet makes it so easy to destroy the rep of anything really quickly. While I accept that the Lincoln 2 might have needed changes I can;'t think of many radios that didn't. Even on Ham gear costing many times the price.

As for longevity, of course they'll be around in thirty years, people will collect them just the same as the collect the radios that are thirty years old now

I'd also wager that the components in these radios are far better quality than the ones used thirty years ago, there seems to be a bias against SMD which is totally undeserved, what people should be bothered about is lead free solder.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

I agree with you cjay. At least President sorted the problems out. More expensive ham gear have production issues and upgrades. Imagine paying £2000 for a rig only to find out that the capacitors leak and damage the circuitry 3 years later. But it happens!

I think QC on CB's went down the drain 20 plus years ago. Many of the "old classics" from 30 years ago have capacitors that are popping, channel selectors malfunctioning, cracks in rotary switches and so forth. Then so called rig doctors start yanking out components and replace them on the off chance that it may work, and didn't even check if there is any voltage FFS.

Then someone will comment that their old classic is still working and had trouble free performance for 30+ years, but forget to mention that 20 of those years it was stuck up in the loft :lol: Easy to forget about all the millions of rigs that were binned over the years, apart from some scratched up piece of crap being sold on eBay with missing knobs hoping to cash into the nostalgia market.

Will modern rig survive like the L2 30 years? Probably if looked after properly and taking into account that nothing is built like it used to be ie TV, fridges, cookers, washing machines, cars, tools etc. The habit of trying to screw every watt out of a CB of any era doesn't help.

One complaint of the L2 is the AGC, but no one whines about how Uniden got the AGC wrong on the Jackson 1 and did diddly squat about it even on the revised board. Good thing it's an easy mod. And the poor AGC performance of the Cybernet SSB boards after the PTBM059.

Only time will tell what will survive and what will be binned.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Anthony123
Call Sign: Gw0

Post by Anthony123 »

Surely they should have actually run the radio when it was being designed or at the final stages of design...This would show up problems and design flaws... so were has R and D gone... Surely its totally wrong to let the customer be the Guinea-pig.... Sure problems and design issues can and does happen ..even in ham gear...the 440-s had problems with glue Kenwood used as it became conductive after a few years...and the vfo on the original Lincoln jumps after a few years of hard use.. so yes there are issues with all radios to some extent...... But with all the hype of this radio and president counting on cashing in on the name of Lincoln from the original version you would have thought some one would have at least tried it before going into mass production...If they had tried to make a decent radio from day one, demand would be high and every man and his dog would have one, President would have made a killing .....As it is, The name President Lincoln 2, Is to most people known as a radio that doesnt work properly and it already has a bad name..... sure people will buy them....if cheap enough.. ide but one... half the price it is now... Is it going to be sought after like the Original Lincoln or Cobra 148, Superstar 360, Grant, etc uummmm I dont think so........such a shame as president missed a Golden opportunity to make a great radio.......
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

"You would have thought someone would have tested it" = Someone did use a prototype last summer on the air ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Techquest
Call Sign: 29VLF125

Post by Techquest »

:o :o :o :o :o Ver 3 are they trying to beat microsofts record for updates to Whimdoh's or did microc**p buy out president ????
Techquest AKA Jedi
Av101 Astro Plane Old Imax n Loads of Radios
Mmmmmmmmmmm ADAMS n other Presidents
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

I guess its a pretty logical thing to do:

Version 1 - Original radio (With faults)

Version 2 - Modified Radio (Most faults fixed - ECHO still to loud even on lowest settings)

Version 3 - Reworked board with modifications built in (Improves on version 2?)

I would call this "Responding to customer needs"

Better than saying "Sod you lot, get on with it" - I suppose!!!
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Simon the Wizard has pulled a version 3 out of his sleeve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kxlJ5r ... saCswjDqvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-BtvS ... saCswjDqvg

That's hope that President is back on track :D
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
saltire

Post by saltire »

So are the buyers of the v1 going to get any compo for having a duff radio ? At least the company did do the repairs that were needed but thats little consolation to the folks who spent their hard eaned on the v1.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

saltire wrote:So are the buyers of the v1 going to get any compo for having a duff radio ? At least the company did do the repairs that were needed but thats little consolation to the folks who spent their hard eaned on the v1.
Any v1 owner can have their radio upgraded to v2 at no cost by contacting President. I did that and I'm now happy with the radio.