VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

Post by delboyonline »

Release of spectrum 143-169Mhz could mean a new VHF CB/Freenet system in the UK?????

Posted on the OFCOM website today:

Responses to the Call for Input and Consultation on next steps of the release of spectrum within the frequency ranges 143 MHz to 169 MHz

Summary

1.1 This document provides a summary of responses to an earlier Call for Input (CFI) regarding the release of VHF spectrum and, taking these responses into account, sets out proposals on how we would plan and release around 6 MHz of spectrum in the 143 to 169 MHz band, returned to civil use by the Emergency Services.

1.2 This consultation follows on from the CFI we published in July 2012(-1-) regarding potential uses of spectrum in England, Wales and Northern Ireland between 143 and 156 MHz. Given that it is highly unusual for VHF spectrum to become available in such large amounts, especially in significant blocks of contiguous bandwidth of up to 1 MHz, we decided to publish a CFI to seek stakeholder views on potential uses for this spectrum. The CFI closed on 12th October 2012 and we received 29 responses, six of which were marked as confidential. The responses to the CFI identified a number of potential uses that the spectrum could be put to and these included:

Existing Business Radio products on a licensed basis to allow industry sectors such as transport and utilities to maintain and improve their communications systems, for example to deploy wide area trunked networks;

A requirement to facilitate Amateur Radio development applications such as digital Amateur TV and satellite;

Spectrum for maritime and safety of life applications;

Spectrum for a ‘LTE’ type application / service;

An allocation for Citizens’ Band Radio; and

Higher power licence exempt use.

1.3 Since the CFI, spectrum between 143 MHz and 156 MHz in Scotland has also been returned by the Emergency Services, as has around 0.5 MHz of UK wide spectrum in the range 168 MHz and 169 MHz. The proposals in this consultation also encompass this recently release spectrum.

1.4 Based on the responses received to the CFI we are proposing to:
Make the spectrum in this range available on a first-come-first-served basis through our current Business Radio licence products. This would be in line with the use of this spectrum in Europe and consistent with the European Electronic Communication Committee (ECC Decision (06) 06)(-2-) which recommends the use of this band for PMR.
Employ an assignment approach that makes new channels available to business radio through a graduated approach in response to spectrum management needs. Our intention is to maintain maximum flexibility for the band should new types of demand emerge in the future.
Allocate 0.4 MHz of spectrum on an exclusive basis to Maritime and Land Search and Rescue to meet the demand of new search and rescue technologies and to ensure safety of life channels have adequate protection from adjacent channel users in this band; and
Make spectrum that is not currently being used for Business Radio in this range available on a temporary basis for Amateur Radio and Programme Making and Special Events (PMSE).

1.5 Whilst it is anticipated that narrowband PMR use will continue, there is also the possibility of radio use for applications / technologies that have not been present in these areas of spectrum previously. A number of responses to the CFI identified emerging requirements for broader-band applications, particularly among the utilities sector for telemetry, Machine-to-Machine (M2M) and possible ‘LTE’ type applications.

1.6 We believe that these bands in the longer term may offer particular opportunities for new types of use that are not readily accommodated by our licensing arrangement. The approach we have outlined in this document acknowledges that new demand may emerge and our proposed assignment approach is specifically designed to preserve future flexibility. If demand for wideband access or other technologies (such as M2M or ‘LTE’ type services) emerges we may decide to review our assignment approach and may also consult on alternative allocation models, including an award of available spectrum.

1.7 As demand for both operational and potential future services in the short to medium term is likely to be low we are also proposing to permit temporary access to 1 MHz of this spectrum (146 to 147 MHz) for Amateur Radio use, until such a time as it is needed by Business Radio or other services. Should additional spectrum be needed to meet operational requirements, we will remove the temporary allocation. Amateur Radio use of this frequency will be on a non-protection/ non-interference basis and will be subject to some geographical restrictions to ensure that there is no interference to neighbouring countries. We propose that the authorisation will be implemented by an individual Notice of Variation (NoV) to the Amateur Radio licence.

1.8 It is also our preferred policy to grant temporary access to this spectrum for Programme Making and Special Events (PMSE). This is already the case with Business Radio spectrum and we will also continue to apply this policy to these spectrum bands.

1.9 We welcome stakeholder feedback to this consultation document. The deadline to submit responses to us is 5 pm on 26th May 2014. We expect to release a Statement on this consultation later this year having taken into account stakeholder responses to our proposals.

The full document is available below

Footnotes:
1.- http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... condoc.pdf
2.- http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/offic ... EC0606.PDF

FREENET: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... 6bih%3D914
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

Post by delboyonline »

I urge everyone to submit their comments to OFCOM. If we can show there is enough interest they may allocate some frequencies for VHF CB Radio. I have sent my response today suggesting a VHF CB system with Base/Handhelds with a power output of 1 or 2 watts/small vertical base antennas. (Thats all we need trust me).

You can respond here: https://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consu ... spond/form
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

ohhhhhh that could be great and what a good start Delboy....

I nearly wrote of to them but stopped and hoped someone could expand on what I wrote, maybe we should have a letter that everyone can copy and paste and give it to all radio forums. This would be amazing anyway Im not great with words so will wait as I dont want to trip up lol.......

Ive taken a little of Delboys and added a little myself but happy if it gets chucked and someone writes a better one lol

...................................................................................................

I propose a VHF CB system with Base/Handhelds with a power output of 1 or 2 upto about 4 watts with small vertical base antennas would be a great allocation as many CB hobbyists have spoken about this in the past and thought it would never happen.

As a user of cb radio and amateur radio in the UK the use of a VHF CB allocation would be gratefully received in this country. It would give us better clear local communications as the cept and UK27/81 bands can be subject to alot noise through the day although still a great form of communication for the hobby.

The CB/PMR communication hobby in this country is on the up again and this will fire even more interest.

I thank you for this opportunity to put this proposal in place and hope you give this your full consideration
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Sounds spot on to me!
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

A year ago in this slide presentation....
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... slides.pdf
... it looks like they considered "licence exempt use as a companion service to PMR446" planned for 152.3 to 152.5, which is 0.2MHz - room for 16 channels 12.5kHz spaced.

I don't think it's likely without being agreed throughout the EU though.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:) I have replied immediately on the ofcom site and here are my comments
I believe that Ofcom should consider a new UK VHF Citizens Band allocation to replace the 934mhz allocation that was removed from citizens band operators in order to release additional spectrum space for mobile telephones.! This proposal for vhf CB is now even more relevant as many peoples homes have restrictive covenants in respect of antennas so a half wave antenna on the VHF spectrum would be far less obtrusive and easier to install than one on the hf spectrum! I would propose that RF power is limited to 4 watts erp in fm and antennas to the half wave monopole type .Possibly it could also be 20 or more channalised frquencies Such an allocation would be a welcome addition to the existing citizens band and could prove very useful in areas such as marine safety on inland waterways eg the Norfolk broads or Scottish lochs. It could also improve the lives of the elderly and housebound and supply a more practical free medium of communication for them. Furthermore such an allocation could help the UK telecommunications industry by paving the way to a vhf CB system adopted by the rest of Europe. There is little to dislike in my proposal and I would urge you to consider this ....many thanks
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Nice, very well written piece, dont forget we have the voice of the UK on here Dave to help us pave the way to this new exciting venture
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

So is this OK to cut and paste maybe change it a bit or they may ignore it! I would love to see us get something like this.

So just respond to the stakeholders link and were off, it's only going take 3 or 4 years but hey it'l be worth it :D
Can't help but love an Adams.

ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

:lol: well yes but its something to look forward too hehehehe
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

I like the cut of this jib!!

Yes I think we should give a VHF CB proposal ago. He who dares wins....
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Go for it folks!

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

And it looks like OFCOM think a VHF CB allocation is a serious possibility right from the off.
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Im not sure which part to place my piece in, is it just in additional comments.

Not sure what to answer or if I need to answer the questions 1 to 4 ...........
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

like there's not enough users of 27mhz and those that use 446, now you want another band for CB..!!!
i would have thought people would be more bothered about saving whats left of an already dying 27mhz..
heck why not petition for 934mhz after all the radios are out there and the band has never been used, surely this would make more sense ??

just no pleasing some people.. :)
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

RogerD wrote:A year ago in this slide presentation....
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... slides.pdf
... it looks like they considered "licence exempt use as a companion service to PMR446" planned for 152.3 to 152.5, which is 0.2MHz - room for 16 channels 12.5kHz spaced.

I don't think it's likely without being agreed throughout the EU though.
Just had a look on your link. 152.3 to 152.5 MHz could be restricted in Scotland. Any VHF CB should be for use nationwide.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

bigpimp347 wrote:like there's not enough users of 27mhz and those that use 446, now you want another band for CB..!!!
i would have thought people would be more bothered about saving whats left of an already dying 27mhz..
heck why not petition for 934mhz after all the radios are out there and the band has never been used, surely this would make more sense ??

just no pleasing some people.. :)
Yes you are hard to please Mr Pimp. To pick up on your points:

1. 27 MHz is a mess. Not all non-professional radio users wish to listen to the world breaking their squelch.

2. 446 MHz is some areas is overload. Generally 1/2 watt UHF is hardly a reliable communication system unless very local.

3. For all it's pros and cons, 934 MHz has been consigned to the ghost of radio past. Though I would still entertain such a proposal.

With VHF up to 5 watts and at least 1/2 wave antenna, would provide short to medium range, very little skip interference (just occasional tropo and Es), good quality audio, low noise, less PLT, Plasma TV and other forms of QRM, smaller compact antennas than those of 27 MHz. Equipment already available. It's a no brainer :idea:
Last edited by RadioPixie on 24 Mar 2014, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.