Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

Post by cb4ever104 »

Also , I don't really understand why they would publish the fix on the Internet . I mean all the radios are still under warranty , right ? Maybe once the guarantee is up , but who in their right mind would do this job now 2 months after buying the radio ?

My 2c
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Perhaps they are hoping that people will have a go themselves and save them some work. (Or invalidate their warranties ;) )
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

cb4ever104 wrote:Also , I don't really understand why they would publish the fix on the Internet . I mean all the radios are still under warranty , right ? Maybe once the guarantee is up , but who in their right mind would do this job now 2 months after buying the radio ?

My 2c
The fact is they didn't publish it on the internet.
Dealers and a select few who test products were given the information.
Whislt I understand people like to see the proof, I felt it not in the best interest to show this information IMO.
As I said I received the data yesterday too, but I strongly recommends nobody even attempts to sort their own radio out.
My advice is speak with your Dealer and let them sort it out for you, as it is under Warranty. :ugeek:
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

I can see why you didn't bother Oggy, but quite a few folk will have opened the radio for export themselves prior to knowing that the president warranty would stay intact if done by a president dealer!

These people and I suspect quite a few will have invalidated any warranty allegedly, though I suspect by providing a way to expand the radio that requires no skill would be difficult to walk away from if pushed via trading standards.

I think all should be honoured, after all they are all faulty by default irrespective of export mod or not surely ;)
Can't help but love an Adams.

RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Simple answer is if the rig is sent to an authorised President dealer and they do the necessary work, then there should be a service note/document with the dealers details (and the rigs serial number and reference to the original invoice) stating that the rig has been modified to President's instructions. Then you would have evidence which rig his been modded by the dealer or by the user.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

RadioPixie wrote:Simple answer is if the rig is sent to an authorised President dealer and they do the necessary work, then there should be a service note/document with the dealers details (and the rigs serial number and reference to the original invoice) stating that the rig has been modified to President's instructions. Then you would have evidence which rig his been modded by the dealer or by the user.

But what about the people who swapped a jumper themselves an subsequently found out the Rig is not fit for purpose whether the put the jumper back or leave it where it is?

Do they just get the finger?

RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

Stronty wrote:
RadioPixie wrote:Simple answer is if the rig is sent to an authorised President dealer and they do the necessary work, then there should be a service note/document with the dealers details (and the rigs serial number and reference to the original invoice) stating that the rig has been modified to President's instructions. Then you would have evidence which rig his been modded by the dealer or by the user.

But what about the people who swapped a jumper themselves an subsequently found out the Rig is not fit for purpose whether the put the jumper back or leave it where it is?

Do they just get the finger?
As far as I understand and read, President will honour the warranty if the wire/jumper has been sniped. Unless I read completely wrong what has been talked about on the forums.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

Here it is, Simon says:
I understand also that even if you have cut the wire and thus invalidated the warranty that President will honour whatever the work is needed to make it better under warranty from the first production
From: http://simonthewizard.com/2014/03/03/pr ... eks-ahead/

Hope his understanding is right and that the L2 owners that have issues have it sorted out soon.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

I hope so too, and if so Maybe Simon and the various Forums should make a point of re iterating this although it is a bit hit and miss when Simon is saying "I Understand" & "But please understand me well, I do not know at all what is planned with this, not told just copied the part of the mail that says it.".

Clearly Not Simons fault in the lack of Clarity but any lack of Clarity will slow down people's returns because if the retailer that sold them are not clear on this or not President Accredited you can see arguments happening and that just should not happen!

Actually you want to see a paper from President Europe on Simon site and the others basically saying send it to us directly here or take back to whomever you purchased it from and if there is any problem send them the document link or tell them to go to President Web Site where it states the letter.

Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

Had an email today off my the dealer who i bought the Lincoln 2 off and the radio will be sent back first thing monday morning. The modifications will be done free of charge and will be done by the engineers there and not sent back to President. Am sure it will come back just fine.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

All this fuss over nothing...just hold the up and down arrow buttons whilst tuning the radio on and hey presto the so called hidden menu... good luck fiddlers !
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

The Lincoln 2 v1 wasn't good enough neither was the v2 hence the reason they are onto v3,as for pushing button's push as many on a Lincoln 2 as you wan't but it won't make the missing components appear inside.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

I've read most of the posts and replies on this thread and I have to say what a lot of flapping about nothing. If a radio hobbyist finds something out about a particular set and shares what they've found with others then what's wrong with that? Modding and fiddling about with radios is what it's about for some, if though somebody or persons takes such information given and mucks up their sets then that's tough. The old adage of if it 'ain't broke then don't fix it or leave it alone' is correct.

The message simply is if one does not know what one is doing then one should keep ones hands to ones selfie shouldn't one?

Thing is most ham gear has service and engineering menus/modes, would I though mess about with them on my best part of two grands worth of radios? You better believe I wouldn't! Just because such menus are there and I know it doesn't mean to say I have to use or access them.

Can't fathom why anybody who buys a brand spanking new set would then want to start messing about with it in such a way and risk stuffing it up. I know if you don't do or try then you don't learn, but there are far less costly ways in which to learn things, starting off by others mistakes.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Radiohead01

Post by Radiohead01 »

Skyscraper wrote:The Lincoln 2 v1 wasn't good enough neither was the v2 hence the reason they are onto v3,as for pushing button's push as many on a Lincoln 2 as you wan't but it won't make the missing components appear inside.
The V2 is good enough. The V3 is essentially a productionised V2 with a more positive channel selector.

V1 original production run
V2 President Modified
V3 Productionised V2, New channel selector

As for the service menu. It's inevitable that people will find these things. The end user is ultimately responsible if the make any adjustments. In many ways if it's in the public domain with the necessary warnings it may turn people away from fiddling.
James
26TM475
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

The V2 is a great radio.

Its been said whats different above.

V4? No dont think so......