Using old satellite TV cable

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
tomos

Using old satellite TV cable

Post by tomos »

Before I go and pull this cable out and buy some RG58 or something, can I use a 10m run of satellite TV coax to feed my SW receivers without loosing much?
A quick look at it shows a solid copper core, braid and a foil wrapper as well. It is fitted with F type connectors, I would use an adapter and leave those in place.

It will be receive only, around 30-40 feet to feed a Wellbrook loop in the garden (which I use at ground level) -- infact there are two cables, so I may also feed
an air band antenna (Diamond D-777) or setup a longwire or something.

Interestingly there is also an ariel faceplate on the wall , which I imagine would have ran up to the TV antenna in the loft at some point....
I may be able to stick a discone up there and use that as well ?

As my receivers will be sat right where these cables enter the house it would be an easy solution

What do you think
pwmonkey

Re: Using old satellite TV cable

Post by pwmonkey »

should be fine, have seen GPS systems fed with 75ohm cable instead of 50ohm and they still work fine. Would just say about the F types, steer clear of the cheapo twist on ones, get proper fit types, if you are running a Wellbrook, loop, you dont want any shorts that would kill the 12v.
Those twist on jobs are nasty.

pw
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I use ct100 sat cable for most of my listening/scanning and it's excellent - low loss, flexible and easy to work with.
PW, I don't agree about the twist-on F connectors. I've been using them for years without problem. As long as you get the right size for the cable, they fit well and don't pull off.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

nothing wrong with it..
i know the sat dish is powered so the signal is not really lost but for a radio, scanner it's pretty good.
i use 75ohm CCTV stuff on my scanners..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
tomos

Post by tomos »

Thank you

I will use the existing two cables I have then :) One for the wellbrook and one for the D-777, or a a runner to a long wire... not sure yet,
though a long wire and a wellbrook seems a bit unnecessary.

Thank you
pwmonkey

Post by pwmonkey »

The Wellbrook will knock spots off a long wire any day. I have 2 and the noise floor is much lower than a long wire. They do like height if used horizontally though. My latest one was just bought as the amp+psu, made my own loop and its a belter, really pulls in the signals.

pw
tomos

Post by tomos »

Thank you all.

The cable is now in place then :) The SAT cable actually looks very good, solid copper core, twin braids, I was concerned over its use on
0-30Mhz, but it is Rx only so as you all say should be fine. vs. cheap e bay 50ohm cable it should hold its own
The new Wellbrook Imperium should also be here by the end of the week, coupling to a ICOM 8500 and a Winradio Excalibur

F type to BNC plugs and waterproofing tape at the ready!
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

Sat coax is surprisingly good for Low Loss, holds its own with many 'proper' 50R cables, and any minute loss from the small imped. mismatch (75/50 is a 1.5:1 VSWR) is easily made up for by that superior performance in the first place.
HomerBB
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by HomerBB »

I agree. I've used RG6/RG6Quad on many occasions for CB RX/TX feedline. Works fine.
ImageImage
tomos

Post by tomos »

Will the 12v for the Wellbroook be ok going own the sat coax ? I guess so ?
pwmonkey

Post by pwmonkey »

the 12v will be fine down the cable, just take care with connectors that there are no strands of the shield of the foil roaming around near the inner.
Thats the main difference between twist ons and fitted, the fitted types take care of the shield very well, twist ons you have to pay attention.

pw
tomos

Post by tomos »

Yep, thx all.. Just got confirmation from wellbrook the SAT cable is fine... Apparently the cable used by Virgin and sky is a better domestic grade than most 50omh cables, even the stuff sold as low loss... It is braided and foiled. The 75 to 50omh loss will not be noticeable in lengths 100m+. Makes you wonder who buys all that expensive coax, when used for receive only. Will let you know how it goes once the well brook arrives !