HUGE Aerial - Skelmersdale Area

Scanning radio frequencies for the North West
wn3
New User
New User

HUGE Aerial - Skelmersdale Area

Post by wn3 »

Hello All

I work in the centre of Skelmersdale, in a fairly tall building.

I noticed last night, a rather large antenna, when i look out towards pimbo / rainford way.

Anyone got any clues what it is, and where it is?

Cheers

Adam
THE_SNAIL

RE: HUGE Aerial - Skelmersdale Area

Post by THE_SNAIL »

i have seen this from upholland i will have a drive and have a look
M3 ZMO
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

What does this look like?

Is it an insanely large "pole", like, 100ft or something?

Or, a tower of some description?
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
wn3
New User
New User

Post by wn3 »

Curiosity got the better of me this morning, and after the children had been dropped off at school, i went for a mooch.

It is clearly visible as you enter pimbo. I found the actual mast just to the rear of the Walkers factory, which is undergoing incredible development at the moment.

It is mounted on what looks like a fairly newly developed mound, and there seems to be a fairly small aerial up on top, with lots of those "spinning wind" things. (forgive my lack of technical terminology!!).

Given it's location within the grounds of the Walkers factory, i would assume it's going to be used for some sort of comms between delivery drivers and the factory itself.

I'd really appreciate any more info on this one as it would be "prime listening" for me!

Cheers

Adam
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Yep.

That's the beast.

I want to see what it is too now. Scary innit?
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
THE_SNAIL

Post by THE_SNAIL »

had a park up next to the mast today and its HUGE,sorry for the photos cheap works camera and heavy rain and taken through the wind screen
M3 ZMO
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

In defense of Andy 26TM014, this antenna is mental.

I believe that it's some trunked system, that clears Ashurst Beacon. The antenna mast is at least several hundred foot and clears it with ease (the hill being 600ft ASL). The groudwave coverage must be absolutely spectacular as there is zero obstruction.

Don't be surprised if other Walkers gaffes have similar arrays.

I aim to get a better picture of it. The mast is really scary and is a thing of awe to fellow radio spods like us.
THE_SNAIL

Post by THE_SNAIL »

mark have you had a close call scan near it yet?would like to know what freq they use ,im a nosey sod
M3 ZMO
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Not yet,

It would totally blast out if it found it. It will probably find the frequencies of the dudes that are working on constuction too.

Got the Uniden UBC72XLT for that, at my disposal. I want better pics of it but my Nokia N95 has packed in (had a killer 5mp camera on board). I want to figure out what it's transmitting on, your pictures seem to suggest to me that it's on some form of beam antenna arrangement.

I went past it this morning, and it looks as if there are more antenna's on it besides what is on the top.

Post by Guest »

This looks just like the antennas up near a the royal navy listening base near me,there's two of them there and they're huuuuge !
THE_SNAIL

update

Post by THE_SNAIL »

an update , speaking to someone close to me today who works at walkers and i ask her about this aerial and she said "its not an aerial" turns out walkers want to be carbon neutral and they are agoing to errect a wind turbine.the mast has 3 wind monitors on it at different heights to see wind speeds at these 3 heights.the mast will be up for at 12 months to collect the data to determin the best height.this mast cost ?50,000.so maybe next year there will be a 600ft mast going cheap. :wink:
M3 ZMO
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

RE: update

Post by paulears »

There is an almost identical one just south of lowestoft on the A12 near kessingland (in a field on the southern end of the bypass) The wind theory at first sounded daft, but could well be right - as the mast in kesingland appears to have no
power supply to it. A wind monitor could be battery powered and solar recharged - but a proper receiver or transmitter installation would need power. This one is also right on the top of a hill. 2 and 2 nearly makes 4 now.
wn3
New User
New User

Re: update

Post by wn3 »

THE_SNAIL wrote:an update , speaking to someone close to me today who works at walkers and i ask her about this aerial and she said "its not an aerial" turns out walkers want to be carbon neutral and they are agoing to errect a wind turbine.the mast has 3 wind monitors on it at different heights to see wind speeds at these 3 heights.the mast will be up for at 12 months to collect the data to determin the best height.this mast cost ?50,000.so maybe next year there will be a 600ft mast going cheap. :wink:
Absolutely fascinating!

Thanks very much to one and all for the updates on this.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

RE: Re: update

Post by paulears »

Just found out the one near me is on the site of a proposed wind farm - so I think that kind of sorts this one out?