digital pmr

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
ct318
New User
New User
Call Sign: ct318

digital pmr

Post by ct318 »

Hi All does anyone know if the tyt hd380 can listen and tx on the licence free side of 446 (digital )
Having never had pmr digital it all sounds like fun.(I know dpmr is restricted to .5w and fixed antenna)
I scan the normal 446 frequencies on a daily basis , there are loads of people on it, I fancy a listen on the digital side of things.
I gather the baofeng dmr is not a good idea.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: digital pmr

Post by Auldgeek »

ct318 wrote:Hi All does anyone know if the tyt hd380 can listen and tx on the licence free side of 446 (digital )
Having never had pmr digital it all sounds like fun.(I know dpmr is restricted to .5w and fixed antenna)
I scan the normal 446 frequencies on a daily basis , there are loads of people on it, I fancy a listen on the digital side of things.
I think you mean the MD 380. Yes, it can be programmed via the codeplug to TX on these frequencies. Be careful about digital radio though. There's a completely different system called DPMR where both the TYT and the Baofeng are DMR.
Incidentally, the Baofeng you refer to should work happily work away on simplex 446 using Tier 1. It just doesn't conform correctly to work in Tier II (repeaters) mode.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

ct318 wrote:Hi All does anyone know if the tyt hd380 can listen and tx on the licence free side of 446 (digital )
There are not very many people actually using the digital frequencies so far, and they will be using a mix of dPMR and DMR which are two completely different and separate standards and will not work together or on the same radio. Also you can't just buy a radio and hear everyone. On DMR for example you will have to know which colour code and group they are using and program it into the radio. Or there is a particular firmware you can get for the TYT MD-380 that lets you listen without knowing the group, but you still need to know the colour code. So don't go buying a radio thinking you'll just be able to put it on the correct channel and hear everything because it's not the same as FM voice at all.

dPMR is not limited to 0.5W, dPMR446 is. It's an important difference because dPMR is a digital voice standard that is used on business radio frequencies too at high powers such as 50W. It's the same with DMR. The license free version of DMR is called DMR tier 1 and this is limited to 0.5W just like dPMR446, but other DMR radios do not have such a power limit as they are used on business and amateur frequencies.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The DV-5R is fine for 446 DMR, except it is not permitted for use on that band, but if you are a 'rules, schmules' kind of person then it will perform well, the chances of earwigging on someone else is remote, the idea of 446 in all flavours is that you buy them in multiples of two or more and give the other to a known person to speak to them.

By the way, this is the amateur forum.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition