DMR Simplex - Manchester/Bolton

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
madman1027

DMR Simplex - Manchester/Bolton

Post by madman1027 »

are there any regular simplex users in the Manchester Bolton area?
I've just got my DMR Radio & have a codeplug in for most UK repeaters & a few simplex frequencies but wondered if anyone actually uses simplex somewhat regularly
AshtonMobileScanner
Call Sign: 26TM931

Re: DMR Simplex - Manchester/Bolton

Post by AshtonMobileScanner »

Im a DMR user of Manchester, im actually in Dukinfield (Tameside Area) its quiet round my end on DMR Simplex but we could arrange a contact on DMR.

Motorola UHF DP3600,
Golden One 1907,
Baofeng UV5RA+,
Diamond RH771 Antenna,
UHF Stubby Antenna,
Diamond X-30 Antenna,
MASS SPS 250 MK2.

(Monitor All Channels)
CALLSIGN: 26 TM 931 / 26 CT 931
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

I've worked via a few repeaters but yet to catch anyone on DMR simplex. The channels are programmed in, though.
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
AshtonMobileScanner
Call Sign: 26TM931

Post by AshtonMobileScanner »

Wheres your QTH

Motorola UHF DP3600,
Golden One 1907,
Baofeng UV5RA+,
Diamond RH771 Antenna,
UHF Stubby Antenna,
Diamond X-30 Antenna,
MASS SPS 250 MK2.

(Monitor All Channels)
CALLSIGN: 26 TM 931 / 26 CT 931
madman1027

Post by madman1027 »

A sched would be pretty cool, I'm in Kearsley. only got the HT atm but I'm quite high up so may be able to get out well. I'm still waiting for my patch cable to arrive to get it on the colinear but hopeful. If DMR works out alright I'll look at getting something a little more substantial for the house.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I'm obviously nowhere near Manchester, but just to let you know that there are pockets of us messing with simplex as we've got fed up with the repeater nonsense, so keep on listening and you may well catch a net.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Same again noway near Manchester, We are the other side of the Pennines located In West Yorkshire & spend most days & evenings on DMR via a few of our DMR Simplex linked Gateways with one link located 90 mile away & another located 200+ mile away down south works very well & a huge bonus Is that you can play radio without the aces & graces of amateur radio

Happy New Year All & All The Very Best For 2017
madman1027

Post by madman1027 »

That sounds pretty good!!
I'm going to order something to put a gateway together for a bit of fun.
I'm from West Yorkshire myself, only recently moved over this way...
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

madman1027 wrote:That sounds pretty good!!
I'm going to order something to put a gateway together for a bit of fun.
I'm from West Yorkshire myself, only recently moved over this way...

Very Simple to setup & of course the main factor is having some DMR capabilities to setup such a link!! & possibly another radio/handheld to work Into your link If your out & about or just pottering about around the home etc........ Its not a must tho as all our DMR traffic Is passed via our secure VOIP server just like echolink where you can log onto whether Its via a mobile phone or a PC client & play DMR regardless where you might be In the world & of course without the aces & graces of watching your P's & Q's on ham radio, Our little network has been tested for just over 3 year now without hickup & performs exceptional around these parts of the county with access to our VHF/UHF DMR links Its pretty much hard to be without contact with our system whether Its via smartphone application or a handheld radio digital DMR device Its Impressive
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

So basically Mad4radio, this is BrandMeister and Phoenix but without BrandMeister and Phoenix????

It sounds very interesting, locally some of us are done with the 'official' repeater, but simplex can be very challenging, especially mobile.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Admiral wrote:So basically Mad4radio, this is BrandMeister and Phoenix but without BrandMeister and Phoenix????

It sounds very interesting, locally some of us are done with the 'official' repeater, but simplex can be very challenging, especially mobile.

Correct Admiral Its basically the same as the other networks only In a simplex manor, Instead of connecting a repeater or hotspot to BM or any other network your connecting & linking It Into this network that I speak of!! BM, Pheonix, Northern DMR cluster, The sallop Network & many more etc ....... don't offer the capabilities of connecting via a smartphone device to play DMR radio, Our protocol does whether your on a android platform or iOS platform or PC windows OS or Linux OS you can directly connect to the private VOIP server drop down Into a specific talkgroup your node/link Is associated with & pass DMR traffic as If you was pressing the PTT button on a handheld unit, Ideal If your out of range of your DMR node/link you can log In & still maintain comms with those you was In chat with........ The system has proved In the last 3 years of running It absolutely floorless I can honestly not pick fault with It, With a number of non linking rooms also onboard the VOIP server users can switch TG's from talkgroups with links/nodes associated with each other to non-linking talkgroups In case they are private chit chats that don't wish to be trafficked out RF & stay within the VOIP server, The VOIP server offers full duplex capabilities just like you would find talking to someone on the phone as If you could Interrupt someone mid sentence as an example, But that capability Is only enabled when directly speaking to an other user within the VOIP server not when your trafficked out across the links etc........
Its real time without hardly any lagging effect at all & Is far better than echolink, FRN, eQSO, zello & many more that you can think of.

I gave up on repeaters along time ago on the ham side as Its pretty much dead as a doh doh up here now, Too many people out to upset others & sit they jotting down on notepads every slip up that you do, Radio once upon a time was great fun on the ham bands but nowadays they's too many people bitching at each other than playing radio, Everything I do up here Is DMR related from enhanced encryption techniques used on my gateways to enhanced encryption used on my technically assigned repeaters just to keep the ear wiggers at bay!! I feel so content that I can leave my links/repeaters running round the clock 24/7 365 days a year knowing that the only folk that pipe up on them are those with the matching colour codes & encryption keys to work via our own little network we have created
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Our group (of 5) is limited as to what links we can use as 4 of us are hams and one is not, but the one that is not knows more about this stuff than the other four of us combined. Our main use is to 'borrow' commercial DMR repeaters that aren't used past a certain time of day, use full encryption so that we are 'invisible' on-air other than a green light showing, and no GPS enabled :D

Yes, it's theft of electricity and some other stuff, but we know the score and the consequences, but in 6 months never had a scare.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Good on ya's lol but If they took a look at the logs & monitor it via software they'd soon know believe me as I sometimes do mine more just for confirmation that the specified ID's are the only ones been used on my x2 DMR rptrs, If an unkwown ID is showing I know Its been used by pirates.

Simplex Is brilliant on DMR especially when you setup a link as you can pretty much connect to It from anywhere In the world at any given time especially when there's a bunch of you that share the same passion & Interests, Our few links are spread up & down the Uk all with some good laughs & chit chats that take place across the day. Set a simplex DMR link up admiral & come & join us your more than welcome pal & enjoy the nature of simplex DMR
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

We are selective, we tend to use 'Bills Skip Hire' rather than Amazon as Bill hasn't got a clue about the black box in the corner and only calls the comms hirer when it is broken.

If you could PM me the details then I would be very grateful to accept your generous invite. I'm now semi-retired and trying to scrape by on a consultancy wage and a percentage of a private pension, so my gear is basic.
Gareth1125
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6IGJ

Post by Gareth1125 »

Simplex is pretty dead where I am too.. I'm down in Congleton in Cheshire... and there are too many hills to get into repeaters whilst mobile too... Shame...

Gareth