UK DMR...whats going on??

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
WhiteNoisePoetry

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Admiral wrote:RSGB Ltd have nothing to do with it, they are a magazine publisher. Oh yeah, some on the RSGB Ltd payroll also think they rule DMR.

As I understand it, RSGB have their finger in the pie by because Phoenix has something to do with G0RDI, who is on the RSGB ETCC etc etc
committee ?

I seem to recall he was on the packet radio comittee too.

Anyone remember packet radio, and the ridiculous failure that became with petty rules and politics ?

73 de WNP
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

FINAL WARNING..... this thread was somewhat back on-track until the last page or two. Its sad that some people who obviously have a passion for DMR have such a poor way or expressing their point of view, or dealing with others whom may have differing ideas. Warnings have previously been issued, my next step will be to suspend accounts or even removal because quite frankly, some users have been a right pain in my arse and I have better things to do with my time than trying to keep all the children playing nicely. When it comes to TM1 this is MY ball and yes, I can stop you playing if I want to.

Its a Radio Forum about a bloody Hobby. Its not worth getting all wound-up about it now really is it? Nobody has died, nobody will suffer lasting ill-health or otherwise be adversely affected to the point where it becomes a massive social issue for them.

It's down to the repeater keepers to say how they want their repeaters used, within the terms of their licence agreements. If you have a problem with that, then lobby them direct, or I tell you what, even better, GO AND BUILD YOUR BLOODY OWN. Buy your own ball, just for you and your other mates to play with. DMR jumpers for goalposts and those rough lads from the other estate aren't allowed to play because their face doesn't fit. Problem solved.

The real reason Amateur radio is dying in the UK is crap like this. It's bad enough being an M3 or an M6 sometimes, let alone someone new to DMR looking to just enjoy their hobby and walking into this clusterf**k.

Life's too short, if this all bothers you that much, sell up and find another hobby. Try one where you use lots of solvents, you'll be so high you won't give a crap. job done.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
k40
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM788

Post by k40 »

If repeater keepers don't like conversations on 235, can they make it time out and give it a sort of duty cycle?
Something that allows contacts to be made then move but makes long conversations impractical.
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

sec1223 wrote:Erm my 40 min qso was shared by multiple other users that where actually all over the uk as in down south, Yorkshire, Wales and a station in Ireland (UK wide) And at the time, we where the only ones on dmr and as stated, got no complaints.
So, was it a 40 minute QSO or several shorter contacts?
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

k40 wrote:If repeater keepers don't like conversations on 235, can they make it time out and give it a sort of duty cycle?
Something that allows contacts to be made then move but makes long conversations impractical.
How would you do this?

Surely each time you unkey the mic you restart any timer?
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Just out of interest as we are on the subject of DMR

I have a Motorola MTH800 Tetra radio expended to 440 MHz I did my research before hand and took a punt on it on the bay from Russia. I got it yesterday I looked under the back cover to make sure it had the serial number on as many sold on ebay would have the serial number removed although I did message the seller beforehand to make sure the radio is legit lol this one says its clear :D so its an unencrypted set , anyway I did my checks to cut it short when I received my radio and all seems to check out. I don't know to much about this radio... can it do DMR?
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

daz3210 wrote:
sec1223 wrote:Erm my 40 min qso was shared by multiple other users that where actually all over the uk as in down south, Yorkshire, Wales and a station in Ireland (UK wide) And at the time, we where the only ones on dmr and as stated, got no complaints.
It wasn't me keyed up for 40 mins if that's what your getting at. It was several people all over the country holding a qso that lasted 40 mins between us all.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

StormShadow wrote:Just out of interest as we are on the subject of DMR

I have a Motorola MTH800 Tetra radio expended to 440 MHz I did my research before hand and took a punt on it on the bay from Russia. I got it yesterday I looked under the back cover to make sure it had the serial number on as many sold on ebay would have the serial number removed although I did message the seller beforehand to make sure the radio is legit lol this one says its clear :D so its an unencrypted set , anyway I did my checks to cut it short when I received my radio and all seems to check out. I don't know to much about this radio... can it do DMR?
As far as I'm aware it won't do dmr only tetra.
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

sec1223 wrote:
daz3210 wrote:
It wasn't me keyed up for 40 mins if that's what your getting at. It was several people all over the country holding a qso that lasted 40 mins between us all.
I am not getting at were you keyed up for 40 mins, don't worry about that.

What I was meaning was did you contact say a user down South, finish that contact then make one in Wales, finish that and then Ireland and so on.
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

daz3210 wrote:
sec1223 wrote:
daz3210 wrote:
I am not getting at were you keyed up for 40 mins, don't worry about that.

What I was meaning was did you contact say a user down South, finish that contact then make one in Wales, finish that and then Ireland and so on.
It was a qso by a number of users from different parts of the country can't see a problem with a net with a number of users from different parts of the country makes it more interesting.
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

Dodgey Dave wrote:
It was a qso by a number of users from different parts of the country can't see a problem with a net with a number of users from different parts of the country makes it more interesting.
It is the idea of a net which has caused aggro in the past.

What I am getting towards is, was the chap on the air calling CQ for 40 mins and simply having contacts or was it truly a prolonged QSO?

The idea of a calling channel would fit perfectly with the former would it not?
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

daz3210 wrote:
Dodgey Dave wrote:
It is the idea of a net which has caused aggro in the past.

What I am getting towards is, was the chap on the air calling CQ for 40 mins and simply having contacts or was it truly a prolonged QSO?

The idea of a calling channel would fit perfectly with the former would it not?
i didnt actually start the qso, i joined in with a conversation that lasted about 40 mins between 6 or 7 people with gaps left that actually closed the repeater completely now and again.

and if your trying to compare that to the monday night net, then your way off the mark
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

One thing i do know is my 380 is mustard keen on 446... No divvy talkgroups, 235 or even a hint of that king of Walts 'AWY'.... :lol:
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:As I understand it, RSGB have their finger in the pie by because Phoenix has something to do with G0RDI, who is on the RSGB ETCC etc etc committee ? I seem to recall he was on the packet radio committee too. Anyone remember packet radio, and the ridiculous failure that became with petty rules and politics ? 73 de WNP
Phoenix and the UK / EU connection to MARC is run by G0RDI who has long left the RSGB. Before Phoenix, it was all governed by MARC. Phoenix was born to help improve the UK / EU side and since G0RDI controls the UK/EU portion it seems he's added some bully tactics on MARC in order to make several changes for the better such as the connection of Hytera repeaters (and MMDVM to come), reviewing the addition of the DV4 Mini and other features. He's basically got a DMR+ network connected to the current system so eventually the UK / EU could have the best of both worlds.

BrandMeister's UK main Admin is G4TSN who is an ETCC Regional Manager and Ofcom Employee. BM in the UK is governed by the main server admins - the national admins have very little control over the system apart from what talk groups they have as always on. Every talk groups in the world can be accessed via every repeater.
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

I've just spent two nights in the shack (around 20.00 - 22.00) with the DV4 Mini checking through UK reflectors and my main radio scanning my 5 local Phoenix repeater and several analogue repeaters.

BrandMeister
Seems to have a good population of users connected to reflector 4400 however only a couple put out calls and they were to other users (and with no luck). The most activity I heard was from several foreign users on 4400 for around 15 minutes. According to the logs, maybe 3 reflectors were in use during the 4 hours - not much if any in regards to TS1 talk groups.

Phoenix
There's been a fair bit of usage - a few international qso's (not taking into account the net which is not a fair representation and was earlier in the day) and many users that utilise their repeater for local qso's with a couple of users via user activated talk groups.

Conclusion
There's more activity on PMR446 during the day on a Saturday than I heard both evenings. The logs do show what goes on and it's clear that BM has a lot of quiet time in the evenings in comparison to Phoenix. Maybe there are alternative times and days when there is more activity. I personally find that evenings from 19.00 - 23.00 are when I get on the radio and I will continue to monitor during the week day evenings to see what happens.