TYT UVF10 receiver performance

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
WhiteNoisePoetry

TYT UVF10 receiver performance

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Well I decided to take a punt on these rigs (non gps version).
Build quality is excellent.
Text messaging works superbly.

Works great as a handheld, but the lack of front end filtering means that if you connect an
external aerial to it, it starts to fall apart a bit.

I guess it's time to dig out those old 1980's RSGB VHF/UHF Manuals and build some bandpass filters.

I don't feel ripped off at all, a dual band dpmr rig for about £100 is excellent, just provide your own BPF's (not hard).

Real radio amateurs wouldn't be fussed by this, but the nu-hams who think they should have £1000 rigs from cheap
Chinese vendors for £30 might be a bit peeved though ;-)

But as a handheld, they are quite ok.

The only other niggle is the screen. It's excellent untill you get bright sunshine on it, and you can't see a damn thing.

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: TYT UVF10 receiver performance

Post by Admiral »

Hi WNP, these may seem like sarcastic questions but they are genuine with a big dollop of naivety.

What market are these sets aimed at? Being dual band then probably not small businesses.

Is there much take-up of dPMR on the ham bands? Will there ever be dPMR ham repeaters or just simplex?

DMR seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment with amateurs, will dPMR just fade away as something that didn't catch on?

I presume these are good for 446 dPMR if not totally type approved?

Do they do crossband?

Cheers and 73.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Well Admiral...

They don't do crossband and there is little dpmr use for the amateur bands.
But the audio quality on digital is so much better than dstar !
Yeah they will work on dpmr446, assuming you restrict the ERP and all that to remain legal.
Analogue works fine on them too, decent audio on tx and rx.

Broadcast FM radio works fine too, better than the Wouxun's, that are either deaf or suffer duff audio.

Like I said, don't g connecting big external antennas to them, the start to complain a bit ;-)

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

They don't look too dissimilar to the MD380 DMR set, I like the slotted bit at the bottom of the radio so it meshes with the charger, so many times I've gone to my UV-5R after a few hours only to realise I didn't put it in the charger properly and it's still flat.

Instead of asking any more dumb questions I'll probably Google it.

I really like the encryption on the DMR stuff, I am playing with it now and reckon that two citizens could have a virtually private two-way radio conversation with the DMR kit on 5w, so that could make for an annoyance to authorities if unscrupulous people use these to go about their illegal activities as there's no trace on the mobile network, no GPRS, and by the time they've captured and decoded the message they're long gone.

I'm curious what if any encryption dPMR has.

I know for a fact that I can get 12 miles with my 380 with it's stock rubber duck sitting on my sofa. I would imagine these are similar.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition