CP-100 linear amplifier

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Blackolive
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G4WCS

CP-100 linear amplifier

Post by Blackolive »

New toy arrived today.
Grubby and a couple of case screws missing, but looks very well built and unabused/screwdrivered inside.

Started with giving the heatsink a good bath, and dry out.
Derusted the back with citric acid(lemon juice) , then polished with brasso, then everythings had a coat of hard paste wax and a polish.

Next job to replace the electrolytics, fit more substantial power cable, then test
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blackolive
Regular
Regular

Re: CP-100 linear amplifier

Post by Blackolive »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blackolive
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackolive »

More pics
Blackolive
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackolive »

Finished
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Does it work?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Post by Samalex »

looks good i had the 163 many moons ago and was a good work horse in the mobile worked the world with it and never really caused any issues or heat up much
Blackolive
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackolive »

Otter wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 20:06Does it work?
Thats the next little job, testing, it doesnt look abused and those motorola MRF454 transistors are quite hardy.

It was a kitchen table job with the fire lit tonight, not fit to venture out to the shack
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Personally I'd have tested it first, then consigned it to the "Oh bugger it's knackered, what am I going to do with this?" pile if it didn't work.

I'm glad you seem to know what you're doing though ;)
Blackolive
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackolive »

The Collector wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 16:26 Personally I'd have tested it first, then consigned it to the "Oh bugger it's knackered, what am I going to do with this?" pile if it didn't work.

I'm glad you seem to know what you're doing though ;)
Id worked on the assumption that the worst (most expensive ) case would have been a dead power transistor, which are still available.

tested it over the weekend at its giving out a healthy 65 watts into a dummy load with 4 watts in.
not sure whether the switchable receive preamp is working, but given local noise levels nowadays a receive preamp is neither use nor ornament anyway
Colomane
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 163LR007

Post by Colomane »

Just a thought , is there a manual/user guide for this CP-100 around
When all else fails , read the manual.