Grant PC999AC rx issue AM/FM

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
tcom75
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: KP235

Grant PC999AC rx issue AM/FM

Post by tcom75 »

Hi everyone,
I just found a new old stock CB President Grant with PC999AC board. The radio has been sleeping for more than 3 decades till few days ago when I found a dealer with this new radio (box never opened).
I unfortunately did not follow the process to apply low DC voltage at the 1st power on.. so I powered the radio with 13,8V directly.
Grant has been working 100% fine for a couple of hrs, then an issue came out. No RX at all on both AM/FM. SSB Rx is fine and also TX is 100% fine all modes.

I checked TR8 and it seems to be good.

Issue: no RX at all on AM/FM

Any suggestion to fix this is very welcome. What specific component /scection should I check?

Many thanks, Steven
tcom75
Regular
Regular

Re: Grant PC999AC rx issue AM/FM

Post by tcom75 »

Additional info:
- Squelch doesn't work on AM/FM, works 100% fine on SSB
- AGC works 100% on SSB

73 Steven
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Check AM/FM path: http://malzev.tripod.com/cb-radio/block_gr.gif
Measure voltage on output pin of FL1 filter. Should be circa 1V. If 0V replace filter.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

After all the time and effort that will go into chasing that bad electrolytic, you will find another problem will probably rear its head. Its a game created in your country called “Pop! Goes the Weasel” with 30 year old electrolytics doing the Popping. In North American (AUS as well) we like to replace ALL the electrolytics first in vintage gear and then start the troubleshooting process. I just happen to have a complete kit of electrolytics already built and ready to ship that will get you started;

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/142505776247

Last edited by KlondikeMike on 22 Dec 2018, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

When car is broken you replace everything before diagnosis? That's interesting :)
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

ch25 wrote: 22 Dec 2018, 21:52 When car is broken you replace everything before diagnosis? That's interesting :)
If your car (or whatever else) is 30 years old and has electrolytics in the failed area, YES!

lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Based on experience, that's the way we treat those old unidens with the 10V electrolytics. Replacing just the bad one means there is another one of its friends just about to die, and the worst thing for a business charging for repairs is to have a radio fail a few days or weeks after it leaves us - that can hurt reputations quickly.

So our approach with any old Uniden SSB with the grey 10V electrolytics is replace the lot, then worry about any other fault afterwards. 95% of the time, there is no other fault, and the caps have to be replaced anyway to make the radio reliable.

Less likely, but seen before is a bad crystal (7.345 MHz, sometimes held down with a corrosive brown glue that eats the crystals legs). That will also kill receive on AM and FM but leave everything else functional.

Correction edit - Ignore that line, that only applies to the 40 channel AM/SSB version.
Last edited by lbcomms on 23 Dec 2018, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Agree that electrolytics might be an issue, but that seems to be your solution to every fault . And it just so happens that you sell and advertise recap kits on here...? Might be a good idea to actually look at the schematic first and perhaps come up with an action plan that doesn't involve just changing the caps.
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 23 Dec 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

"Made with pride in North America" in Shenzhen. :lol:
@OP measure first output voltage on 455KHz filter before you start butchering your radio.
lbcomms wrote: 22 Dec 2018, 22:14 Less likely, but seen before is a bad crystal (7.345 MHz, sometimes held down with a corrosive brown glue that eats the crystals legs). That will also kill receive on AM and FM but leave everything else functional.
Just wondering, where is that crystal located on PC999 board?
Chris
tcom75
Regular
Regular

Post by tcom75 »

Tks for all the comments. I will start checking the 455Khz filter first. I will report outcomes tomorrow.
By the way I cannot locate the 7.345 Mhz filter on my board..

73 Steven
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Sorry, my bad, the crystal is only on the FCC version of the Grant of the same era (MB87xx PLL). The version with multiple bands and FM (PC999) has a 10.695 first IF and uses some spare 10.24 signal from the PLL for 455KHz conversion.

I've edited my original post to correct it - the perils of doing stuff from memory...
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

i will keep it simple ....ish
@chris i think sue is refering to the older version grant that has that xtal the 7.8 if version and a valid point as i have seen 2x pc999 grants with the 455 filter had glue under it and was shorting out the pins, removed the filter cleaned all up and refited the filter and rx came back.
@op what i do and has never failed me yet get the service manual and the voltage chart for the ic/tranies
have a real close look for a loose wire around the mode switch
press and prod and tap on the board both sides for bad joints(use your finger not a metal object).
check the voltages on all the ic/trannies and try to do a by the letter factory service alignment
it may well be a cap/resistor/filter/loose wire from mode switch,
but 100% you will not be able to do a full alignment and a voltage will be a miss.
once you have found a wrong voltage on a trannie ect post here and chris/sue/nick/sammy or i or lots of other people on here can pin point the area of issue and help you further.
changing the 10v caps is fine if you find a faulty one and it be rude not to change all the 10v caps.
i personaly dont do a full recap on radios nor do i change channel leds or meter bulbs or change the thermal compound on ic/trannies if its still juicy(they will all fail in the end at some point).
if its working i dont fix it.
thats the best way i can explain with limited equitment.
if you got some test gear and a brain its a different way i would go and its acactly as chris said.
armed with sig gen and the radio on am following the diagram chris posted starting from the vol pot start injecting a signal and work through the blocks.
every one may be right here ....
mikes cap kit could well sort your prob or not (lot of money and work for a spray and pray aproach and unless your soldering skills are ok you could make things a lot lot worse)
again sue could be on the money with caps or glue like ive seen under the filter.(and sue is one of the most talanted and clever techs ive ever seen).
but im with chris on this do some non invasive checks first,dont reach for the soldering yet.
plan b..........send it to nick get him to add zeros on a switch and add uk while he got the lid off haha
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
tcom75
Regular
Regular

Post by tcom75 »

I checked FL1, I have the following values assuming:
Pin 1 = IN
Pin 2,3,4= GND
Pin 5 = OUT

Testing between filter GND and PIN 5: 0,8V
Testing between filter GND and PIN 1: 8,20V

I'm kind of lost now...what would be the next step?

73 Steven
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

When you touch filter pins with finger or DMM cable can you hear broadcast stations? Noise, stronger hiss, whatever sound?
Take out FL2, in and out jumper with ceramic capacitor a few pF will do the trick. That way we will verify if it is OK or not.
Chris
tcom75
Regular
Regular

Post by tcom75 »

Yes when touching pin 5 of the 455Khz filter I can hear stronger hiss. Ok let me take action on FL2 and will report outcomes.