Antron 99 ,'re gluing to metal couplings

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Antron 99 ,'re gluing to metal couplings

Post by original45 »

I have bought a Antron 99 and it has what I'm sure is a typical problem. The metal coupling on the base section to screw in the second section has come away from the fibreglass tube.

Now it will easily raise 10mm but I'm wondering if their is length enough wire element that I could carefully pull the section end off to clean and 're bond to ensure longevity.

If not I will just clean 10mm of what I can raise it freely and use epoxy and rubber bonding tape on top.

Anyone know if the copper wire element is long enough to do so please.
Thanks
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Antron 99 ,'re gluing to metal couplings

Post by The Collector »

I had the same with mine when I went to put it back up when we moved house.

I ended up drilling out the soldering point/hole, soldering on an inch onto the copper wire inside, aralditing the cap back on (with the slightly longer wire now sticking out of the hole) and when it was dry, I cut off the wire flush with the cap and resoldered it. If there was any tiny difference in the length of the added wire bit, it didn't make any noticeable difference when I checked the swr.

When the cap's removed, clean and scour the fibreglass (wear a dust mask and eye goggles) to give a good "key" for the epoxy resin. Also wipe and scour the inside of the cap as that can have a layer of muck inside if it's been loose for a while.

I left it a couple of days before hoiking it up in the tree it's in just in case. Now the temperature's lower, the curing time will probably be longer so don't be too hasty in putting it back up.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: Antron 99 ,'re gluing to metal couplings

Post by original45 »

Ah that sounds perfect. Thank you can do that.
Much appreciated.