Display bulb cover for 2830

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Display bulb cover for 2830

Post by steepeljack69 »

The orange bulb cover in the 2830 or Lincoln’s,is there any other colored covers u can get so color of display can be changed without replacing with led?Anyone have any information where I may get a green or blue cover?Thanks
Poteroa
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Teuvo

Re: Display bulb cover for 2830

Post by Poteroa »

Yes, you can buy those from electronics stores, there are various colors of them..

Or, you can change the bulb to 2 x 120deg leds with resistors..
alexthegasman

Post by alexthegasman »

steepeljack69 wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 09:16 The orange bulb cover in the 2830 or Lincoln’s,is there any other colored covers u can get so color of display can be changed without replacing with led?Anyone have any information where I may get a green or blue cover?Thanks
I'm not 100% sure, but are these the items you need? Maybe someone who can remember could confirm
Not sure where i got them from though sorry.................
All the big numbers, alexthegasman, 26tm645

Ham radio is a hobby, c.b is for life!!
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Hi Alex,yes I think they r what they r but not sure,I don’t like going in radios .Just trying to get a idea of what’s needed without putting a colored led or should I say get my mate to change bulb for a led.
alexthegasman

Post by alexthegasman »

steepeljack69 wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 11:53 Hi Alex,yes I think they r what they r but not sure,I don’t like going in radios .Just trying to get a idea of what’s needed without putting a colored led or should I say get my mate to change bulb for a led.
Ther's a topic on here to show you how it's done :D

viewtopic.php?t=1910

astradyne

Post by astradyne »

alexthegasman wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 09:55
steepeljack69 wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 09:16 The orange bulb cover in the 2830 or Lincoln’s,is there any other colored covers u can get so color of display can be changed without replacing with led?Anyone have any information where I may get a green or blue cover?Thanks
I'm not 100% sure, but are these the items you need? Maybe someone who can remember could confirm
Indeed those are exactly the same as the orange one that's factory fitted in the Lincoln's/2830's etc. Maplins used to sell them a couple of decades back...
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
alexthegasman

Post by alexthegasman »

astradyne wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 13:25
alexthegasman wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 09:55

Indeed those are exactly the same as the orange one that's factory fitted in the Lincoln's/2830's etc. Maplins used to sell them a couple of decades back...
That's probably where i got them from!! :D :D

steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Cheers everyone any ideas where I might source any from?and what would u call them?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Grain of wheat bulb covers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=grain+o ... wjR87FEMVM

2830/Lincoln style:

https://www.google.com/search?q=grain+o ... bs4kiJV4aM

Just a couple of examples from good old Google.
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

That's fair enough but the top link ones I have and there's no way of securing them into the radio,the bottom link shows the item but no direction of where to get them from which I was asking.I have put many variants of bulb covers and nothing that is needed comes up.That's y I asked if there was a specific name for the item.
Poteroa
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Teuvo

Post by Poteroa »

Trying to find an exact match for a radio 30 yrs old might be nearly impossible, but you might get lucky.

Anyways, these types of silicone/rubber caps are still used in different automotive applications, so you should find something that you will get a satisfactory result..

If you just buy the "cap" part, that does not have the so called holder in it, just cut the old one so that the holder part keeps it in place..

Not sure is the bulb 8 or 10mm one, but its big.

Try T10 bulb cap/cover in google, you get different colours in results.
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Hi thanks I do understand I may not be able to get exact same item,I was just asking if anyone had any information. As for cutting the Original one iam trying not to in case the radio needs putting back to its original state if it was sold,but I was thinking of doing that.I have used a green cover and it works great only issue is its not fixed in the radio,it's not a problem but if I can get it right I would be much happier.Anyway I will keep looking.Also can anyone tell me the colour of the front panel of a 2830?is it grey/green?anyone know the exact colour?reason small crack at top corner and want to try fix it.
alexthegasman

Post by alexthegasman »

steepeljack69 wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 11:09 Hi thanks I do understand I may not be able to get exact same item,I was just asking if anyone had any information. As for cutting the Original one iam trying not to in case the radio needs putting back to its original state if it was sold,but I was thinking of doing that.I have used a green cover and it works great only issue is its not fixed in the radio,it's not a problem but if I can get it right I would be much happier.Anyway I will keep looking.Also can anyone tell me the colour of the front panel of a 2830?is it grey/green?anyone know the exact colour?reason small crack at top corner and want to try fix it.
Hi, I have the "original" orange one that had split or burned out or summat still in my drawer. Rather than cut yours to hold another bulb in as Poteroa said and you want it, and the other ones i have, drop me a PM and i'll send 'em on to you gladly :D

KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

I'm presently installing a flexible LED light strip (see sample below) in a Lincoln v1 (same). I am using a hot-knife type tool to cut an opening in the lamp housing along the red line (see below). The tool does the job but the end result leaves rough edges in the housing. I am not concerned about the rough edges as it is not visible when the covers are put back on. The strip slides in the slot and I am pleased with the result as compared to the stock wheat lamp or a single LED.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1Pc-12V-3528-SM ... rk:45:pf:0

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Have you got a picture of the LED strip in place KM?
It might help others decide to do it that way if it's not too much hassle.

There's a good choice of colours in the link to suit everyone's taste :)